Karen
VIP June 2012

Friday weddings

Karen, on November 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Posted in Planning 61

Anyone else out there getting married on a Friday? Im so excited about "bucking traditon" and knowing that the people who show up will actually be those who really want to be there, not just" 3rd cousin so an so" who has nothing else to do on that weekend....

Anyone else out there getting married on a Friday? Im so excited about "bucking traditon" and knowing that the people who show up will actually be those who really want to be there, not just" 3rd cousin so an so" who has nothing else to do on that weekend....

61 Comments

• Rachele
    Expert July 2020
    Rachele ·
    • Flag

I'm getting married on Friday July 26 2013

I hope that it helps me with the guest list cause they will be serious to attend

• Shannon S (Mrs Ski)
    VIP September 2012
    Shannon S (Mrs Ski) ·
    • Flag

Friday wedding here!

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Karen- please don't take my comments as attacking you. Rather, I am trying to point out many of the problems guests of Friday weddings have to deal with. I think asking someone to take a day of work crosses some lines, but if your guest list is fine it- then that's your decision.

My whole point is to get people who are still making preliminary plans to stop and think about what their guests will have to do.

I know a girl getting married this Friday at 6pm. She invited coworkers. They get off work at 5... They can't even get home before the ceremony starts. And no- they can't just take a few hours off and leave early in their profession. For many people, slipping out an hour or two early on a Friday is no big deal. For many, it's nearly impossible.

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

I'm just making sure that people who plan a wedding- on any day of the week- think about what they are putting their guests through. Unfortunately, too many brides have the midset of "It's My Day." Sorry, no it's not. The world doesn't stop turning becuase you are getting married. Your friends and family can't drop everything in their lives because you are getting married. It's not always about what guests want to do- but what they can do!

Let's make one thing very clear- the ceremony is for the couple. The reception is for the guests to celebrate- period. You have to be a good hostess, whether you get married on a Friday, a Saturday or a Tuesday.

• Carole M (a.k.a "old tart")
    Master October 2011
    Carole M (a.k.a "old tart") ·
    • Flag

I am not a fan of Friday weddings.

Megan did an excellent job of explaining the problems with a wedding being held any day but a Saturday. Guests do have to put forth a great deal of effort to attend.

Karen,you know your guests. If your guests are cool with it, than go for it.

For the record, she really didn't ask our opinion, she asked if other brides were doing it.

• Brandie
    VIP September 2011
    Brandie ·
    • Flag

If it works for you, regardless of the reason, then go for it. You can't possibly please every single guest so while Friday may not work for everyone, it must work for you and your guests.

All you asked was "who else is getting married on a Friday" not "what's your opinion on a Friday wedding" .... I think some people have nothing better to do then bash every forum they come across .....

• Brandie
    VIP September 2011
    Brandie ·
    • Flag

Thank you Mrs. Carole M "For the record, she really didn't ask our opinion, she asked if other brides were doing it."

• Mrs. M fka Sami B
    Master June 2012
    Mrs. M fka Sami B ·
    • Flag

Sorry to all the defenders but everything after her initial question implies that anyone having a Saturday wedding is only having guests show up because it's convenient not because they care about the bride and groom.

" Im so excited about "bucking traditon" and knowing that the people who show up will actually be those who really want to be there, not just" 3rd cousin so an so" who has nothing else to do on that weekend.... "

Here's my interpertation of the statement: I'm so excited to do a Friday wedding! This insures only the very worthy/devoted come to my special event! Anyone that does a weekend wedding is crazy b/c then everyone you invite might show up!

FWIW I feel indifferent toward Friday weddings. I'm lucky enough to have a flexible work schedule where if I need to take off early on a Friday to get to a wedding its not a big deal. I also work Saturday's several months of the year and have had to take those off as well for weddings. The tone is where I find issue =)

• Mrs. M fka Sami B
    Master June 2012
    Mrs. M fka Sami B ·
    • Flag

Also it's an open forum, it's automatically open for opinions =). We considered a Friday wedding b/c a venue we like a lot was already booked for every Saturday. Logistically it didn't work for us and our guests. Everyone's wedding is different.

• Amy
    Super June 2011
    Amy ·
    • Flag

We did a Friday wedding because my fiancees #1 priority was to get married in the Catholic Church and my #1 priority was to have my brother who lives in Africa be able to attend. He had a two-week window he was going to be in the States and when the priest offered us a Friday night since the two Saturdays were already booked we took it. That being said, it worked for a few reasons.

- Most of our guests were OOT and took a mini-vacation to see our Washington DC

- We started promptly at 6:30 and they were at the reception site for cocktails at 7:30.

- We spent a small fortune on catering (that started with alot of apps at cocktail hour) and had a full premium open bar.

- We paid good money for a fabulour DJ that kept people on the dance floor until midnight.

- We skipped many "traditions"...multiple dances, bouquet toss, garter toss...the things that focused on us and focused on our guests having a blast.

- We had a cigar lounge for the guys.

It worked, guests stayed until 12.

• Kara
    Super May 2013
    Kara ·
    • Flag

I didnt read all the comments on here until after I posted. I just would like to add the only difference I have gotten for anything to do with this wedding that I can fall just below the 100 min for the main ballroom and thats great! But nothing was cheaper! Believe me! Smiley smile

Ive made sure all our friends and family know our wedding is on a friday and not one of them had a problem with that.

• Jess and Douglas
    VIP November 2017
    Jess and Douglas ·
    • Flag

We are doing a Monday wedding and we are taking into consideration everyones jobs. I am stil lokking for an inexpensive wedding venue to accomidate everyone Smiley smile

• josephine
    Devoted February 2012
    josephine ·
    • Flag

Im having my wedding on a friday for many reasons first its friday night everybody partys on a friday night. 2nd it is cheaper but not that much of a difference and 2rd it is easier to get friday off. and our ceremony is at 730 pm everyone lives nearby. i guess its different for each individual and their circumstances

• That one chick who's married to that one dude
    Master April 2012
    That one chick who's married to that one dude ·
    • Flag

I decided NOT to have a Friday wedding because of the inconvenience of it. I wanted to get married on our 4 year anniversary when we pushed the date back, but since it was on a Friday, I decided against it. Not only your guest will have to accommodate, but your bridesmaids, groomsmen, and who ever else in the wedding party as well.

• Meagan
    Expert June 2012
    Meagan ·
    • Flag

We're getting married on a Friday too...only way we could have an evening wedding & still get married in the church I belong to Smiley smile

On a side note: Everyone has their own reasons for choosing a Fri, Sat, Sun etc. If guests can make it they will, if they can't then they won't it's that simple. Karen don't worry about the negative posts. You're getting married on a Friday & it will be FABULOUS Smiley smile

• Brittany0503
    Dedicated May 2012
    Brittany0503 ·
    • Flag

We are actually getting married on a thursday mainly because it was cheaper but we are also doing a destination wedding and all of our guests are using it as a vacation as well so they will be down there for the whole week

• Anonymous
    Super July 2011
    Anonymous ·
    • Flag

I had my wedding on a Friday, and my turnout was great. It actually didn't even start until 7:30 (during summer, so sun set at 8), so people had time to make it after work if they lived in town. For those that came from out of town, they were happy to make a vacation out of it and take the day off. For those that couldn't make it, I had no hard feelings at all. Looking back on it, I can't think of one person who couldnt make it because of work, but that could be rare Smiley smile

• Kitty Katy
    Super May 2012
    Kitty Katy ·
    • Flag

Sometimes I read the forums and I wonder why I still think I'm acceptable. lol

My FH and I are getting married on a fri because, frankly, sat weddings are weird to me and I've never seen the party really get started at one. I'm sure that's just the way it is in my social group, but I'm happy to be among the ranks off shameless Friday brides Smiley smile

• Mrs. Hainsworth
    VIP November 2011
    Mrs. Hainsworth ·
    • Flag

We're getting married THIS friday! Smiley smile

• J
    Just Said Yes June 2012
    jessica ·
    • Flag

I am confused at the comments from people who are talking about work issues. If I had to go to a wedding I would just take the day off or at the very least get off work early. If the person getting married was important to them they would make sure to be there no matter what. I can tell you it is very difficult trying to please everyone. There are people who work the weekends too. So who cares what day it is as long as bride is happy. Yes it may sound selfish but isn't the bride allowed to be a little selfish on her day?

Comment on this discussion