Karen
VIP June 2012

Friday weddings

Karen, on November 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM Posted in Planning 0 61
Saved Save

Anyone else out there getting married on a Friday? Im so excited about "bucking traditon" and knowing that the people who show up will actually be those who really want to be there, not just" 3rd cousin so an so" who has nothing else to do on that weekend....

61 Comments

• Tach
    Master July 2012
    Tach ·

We are!

• Brittney
    Expert November 2011
    Brittney ·

Me too. I am getting married this Friday. Yikes!!

• Courtney
    Dedicated July 2012
    Courtney ·

Me too!! Yay for Friday weddings!!!

• Krista
    VIP May 2012
    Krista ·

I am totally Bucking Tradition....Getting Married on a Thursday. Saving so much money because of it. My parents are paying for it and my mother really appreciated that i took their budget into consideration. Would have been an extra 3K just to make it on Friday.

• Gina
    Devoted February 2012
    Gina ·

Yeiii, I am getting married on Friday too, the venue didn't have more open days till 10/12' I said noooo way I don't wAnna wait that long my big day is on February 2012

• Ashleigh
    Expert June 2012
    Ashleigh ·

We are too... As a matter of fact Karen we're getting married on the same day

• R
    VIP March 2012
    Robyn ·

Fridays are a good day..i had a bestfriends brother that did that.. it was a very nice wedding and we had all weekend to relax with the family

• Kelley
    Super May 2012
    Kelley ·

I'm doing Friday. Got a few better prices because of it

• Glenn
    Master February 2012
    Glenn ·

OMG you are so right! People who can't get there because of their jobs, which are precious in this current economy must totally not want to celebrate with you.

• S
    Master February 2011
    Snif ·

You are so right! I'm so pissed at my 3rd cousins who showed up because they had nothing better to do.

• Karen
    VIP June 2012
    Karen ·

In no way was I insinuating that peoples jobs weren't important, the negativity is unnecessary

• 2smilez4u
    Super July 2012
    2smilez4u ·

I'm getting married on a Friday....

• Glenn
    Master February 2012
    Glenn ·

Whatever, just admit you are doing Friday because it's cheaper, you don't have to get into the whole "people who show up will actually be those who really want to be there" I sure hope you are at least taking care of your guests for their inconvenience.

• Glenn
    Master February 2012
    Glenn ·

And if you weren't insinuating that peoples jobs weren't important, what exactly were you insinuating with that statement?

• CandiM
    VIP June 2011
    CandiM ·

Glenn I was just about to ask the same question.

• Karen
    VIP June 2012
    Karen ·

Engaging in further conversation with antagonist is not why Im on here.........

• S
    Master February 2011
    Snif ·

Right on Karen! Don't let these people get you down and don't let that 3rd cousin take advantage of your hospitality!

• S
    Master February 2011
    Snif ·

Question though...

Are you really inviting people who have nothing better to do? You may want to look at that.

If you are picking the date because of money reasons or personal reasons just admit to it.

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·

I will say- as a guest, Friday weddings are really hard. In some professions, people can't get off work early. I'll tell you our home situation- jsut to give you an idea of what some of your guests will deal with. My Dh gets off work at 5 (on a good day). He has a 45 minute drive home, so he's home by about 6. Most venues in my city are a good hour plus away. Let's assume I was able to pick the kids up from daycare, and grab the babysitter on the way home. I cheated, and had them order pizza for dinner that night.

I had my hair/make up, then just slipped into my dress for your wedding. DH gets home, and changes into something appropriate for the wedding. He's home 5 minutes, and we're out the door. If we're super lucky, we make it in time for 7pm ceremony- but most likely, we'll be late.

That, or DH takes the whole day off work... Sacrificing 1/10th of his vacation days- which is the only time he gets to spend with his sons.

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·

By the time your ceremony ends, it's dark. Make sure and do pictures earlier in the day, or they all have to be indoors. Either way, it's now 7:30. Assuing you've already done pictures, the reception starts. I'm tired, because I've been going all day. I'm hungry because I ate lunch at noon and haven't stopped since, so no snack. If you do pictures after, that's another hour before we get to eat.

So, you skip pics after. Reception entrance crap, then dinner is from 8-9. You don't even get to start dancing until 9pm, or later. The reception ends by midnight. Some of your guests will have been up since 6am (or earlier).

Friday weddings can be done- but you have to make alot of accomodations and give up things you want so you can make your guests comfortable and happy. And yes- it's about the guests. No matter how much they love you, your wedding will suck if they are tired, hungry and rushed. And they will leave early.

Comment on this discussion