Danielle
Beginner November 2019

Engagement Party

Danielle, on February 11, 2019 at 12:14 PM Posted in Planning 0 8
Saved Save
Who all should we invite? We have never been to one.. what do you do at the engagement party? Is it even necessary to plan a engagement party?

8 Comments

• JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag

An engagement party is something that should be thrown for you. You would only invite those you would be inviting to the wedding.

I did not have one. I've only been to one and honestly think they can be skipped.

• Danielle
    Beginner November 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    Thank you so much i had been wondering if we throw our own or not 🤷🏽‍♀️...
  • Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    We skip this along with the bridal shower because we have a full household and I really don’t want any of my family or friends taking away from their family in order to buy things for us

It’s an occasion for people to give you gifts so if you like gifts or you want gifts have one
  • Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    According to WeddingWire and in my opinion to etiquette

If you have an engagement shower bridal shower or bachelorette party it’s because someone decides to throw you one and they will organize it you would have input on the guest list but definitely only invite people who are invited to the wedding

I would say like everything else these things are definitely regional and if your area says that you throw all your own parties and invite people who are not coming the wedding because you want more gifts then go with it if it makes you feel good
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

It is not necessary to have an engagement party. However, we threw one....yes, for ourselves. It was a small casual get together with our bridal party and a few close friends. We supplied the food (chili, because we had it in the fall...and we live in the country), and a bonfire. The purpose of our party was mainly to be like "Yay, we're getting married" and for our bridal party to meet each other. It was NOT a gift giving event. If you really want one, there is nothing wrong with having one. Also if you really don't want to go through the trouble, there is nothing wrong with not having one. It is a party that can either be thrown for you or (in my opinion) is okay for you to throw yourself, as long as you don't expect gifts of any sort. We didn't specify engagement party on ours either though...it said "I DO Chili & Fire." And their were no formal invites sent out, just a FB event invite and text message.

• Christine
    Dedicated April 2018
    Christine ·
    • Flag

My sister threw our engagement party. It was just both of our families getting to meet each other for the first time.

• maryann
    Expert June 2019
    maryann ·
    • Flag

I skipped the engagement party... Its so many things that are part of tradition but I opted out of a few..... Especially if you are throwing it yourself and your paying for your wedding. Save that money for your wedding and honeymoon....

• Shay
    Expert February 2020
    Shay ·
    • Flag
    We threw one ourselves and that was when we proposed to our engagement party. It was beautiful.
    Happy Planning 🍷

Comment on this discussion