Future Mrs. Coombs
VIP March 2014

DIY Fresh Flower Bouquet

Future Mrs. Coombs, on August 10, 2013 at 3:47 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 14
Saved Save

How far in advance should you make them? We're having a DW & will be coming from Texas going to Georgia. Should I make them before we leave or when we get to GA? We're driving to GA & I'm scared they won't make the drive but doing a hard DIY project so close to our date os nerve racking. We'll get there on Thursday, our ceremony is Monday. Or are we just better off purchasing my bouquet from a florist in Atlanta?

14 Comments

• Hilery
    VIP November 2014
    Hilery ·
    • Flag

What kind of flowers? Have you checked to see how long your flowers will last? I don't know about traveling with fresh flowers.

Flowers need to stay pretty cold in order to stay fresh.

Would you have a place cold enough to store them for 4 days?

You might be better off trying to contact a florist in Georgia and picking them up 48 hours before the wedding. Depends on the flower, though!

• Future Mrs. Coombs
    VIP March 2014
    Future Mrs. Coombs ·
    • Flag

I'm really simple. So I was thinking coral & ivory carnations or coral roses and ivory hydrangeas. I've gone between so many options. A. DIY fresh or silk flowers B. Order silk flower bouquet from etsy shop or C. Contact a local florist. All of the ones I've contacted seem uninterested because I'm not planning on spending $100s.

• Hilery
    VIP November 2014
    Hilery ·
    • Flag

There's got to be some small business/local florist somewhere in the area that won't expect you to spend hundreds! I've never known anyone who has ordered silk flowers, so I would have to read up on some reviews on that.

I just don't think traveling and storing fresh flowers on your own for 4 days is the best idea.

• Capt&MrsMatey =)
    Expert August 2013
    Capt&MrsMatey =) ·
    • Flag

I'm close to home for my wedding but i'm not picking up my flowers til the day before & DIY the night before. I wouldn't imagine cut flowers of any kind would be great after 4 days, traveling or not. Do them when u get there. You have some time to settle in before your wedding so you should be ok. Maybe do your research on the trip? good luck!

• Briggitte Dix
    January 2020
    Briggitte Dix ·
    • Flag

It's sounds like you are really inexperienced when it comes to floral arranging so I would suggest buying your bouquet in Atlanta. The floral needs to be kept at a certain temperature in a fridge along with that depending on what types of flowers you are using you would need to buy them in various stages of bloom.

If you are on a tight budget call stores like Kroger and Whole Foods. They have large floral departments that do wedding items often. My friend got hers at Kroger and it was gorgeous.

• Future Mrs. Coombs
    VIP March 2014
    Future Mrs. Coombs ·
    • Flag

Briggitte: That's what I was thinking, calling Kroger to see if they do wedding bouquets.

Thanks ladies!

• Tatiana
    VIP September 2013
    Tatiana ·
    • Flag

I would get them when you get to your destination, you shouldn't assemble them until the day before, at most two days before. Make sure you keep them cool.

• Rachel DellaPorte
    January 2020
    Rachel DellaPorte ·
    • Flag

You've been getting quotes for one bridal bouquet made of ivory/coral carnations or coral roses/hydrangea that are hundreds of dollars? The carnations and roses are relatively inexpensive flowers, and if the design is a simple, hand-tied arrangement, it should be pretty budget friendly.

Don't transport them. Try a local GA florist. If you're still over budget, the ladies here are correct -- try the local grocer. Order in advance, and pick it up on Monday morning.

• Future Mrs. Coombs
    VIP March 2014
    Future Mrs. Coombs ·
    • Flag

Yes for a coral rose and white hydrangea bouquet they have quoted up to $250. Considering that we are having a very intimate ceremony, a bouquet that much does not seem reasonable.

• caaron3
    Devoted October 2013
    caaron3 ·
    • Flag

Check with Whole Foods, I saw someone on here post a trial bouquet they got from Whole Foods. Also try the DeKalb Farmer's Market in Decatur, they make ridiculous flower arrangements and could probably do bouquets.

• Future Mrs. Coombs
    VIP March 2014
    Future Mrs. Coombs ·
    • Flag

I was thinking about the DeKalb Farmer's Market but wasn't sure if they only sold flowers in bulk or if they did bouquets. Thanks Smiley smile

• Mrs. Hawkins
    Expert June 2013
    Mrs. Hawkins ·
    • Flag

Another option is to check with Sam's or Costco. I had a DW and purchased my centerpiece flowers from Sams online. The flowers were delivered to my hotel and were beautiful. Purchased enough hydrangeas for 10 tables for around $150. They also sell fresh pre made bouquets.

• SXC
    VIP November 2013
    SXC ·
    • Flag

I'd second Costco, that's what we did for a bride in Atlanta. However grocery stores are usually pretty cheap compared to florists- my quote for orchids is 50-75 so 250 for roses and carnations seems outrageous. I don't recommend transporting hydrangeas either, they're very delicate and need lots of water and to keep cool beforehand.

• Amber
    VIP October 2013
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I'd purchase in Atlanta - I wouldn't try to take flowers on a drive.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics