XieXie
Savvy May 2019

Any beef lovers?

XieXie, on December 7, 2017 at 5:50 AM Posted in Planning

Quick recap of my dinner struggle: we're having a traditional Chinese banquet for our wedding meal, and I'm trying to supplement the menu with some foreigner-friendly dishes for my Western friends and family. My FH's family will mostly be eating pork and seafood, since that's standard for banquets here, but I'm pretty sure they'll like the first beef supplement I chose: cubed filet mignon with garlic and bok-choy in a nest of crispy potato strings. I get a second beef option to appear later in the meal as well and I want a steaky dish that will feel familiar to my side but still be a treat. But I'm not a big beef eater so...

Generally speaking, would you prefer tenderloin or strip loin? With bordelaise, bernaise, sesame-miso butter or brandy green peppercorn for sauce?

It's not a huge steak - everything is portioned at a few bites each so people can try lots of dishes. So I'm not worried about heaviness or richness - just taste!

Share:

20 Comments

• Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev ·

I'm pescatarian so obviously not, but I'm just curious if you are including vegetarian meal options? It seems like your menu will be heavily based in meat and whether someone is vegetarian or not maybe they just don't want to be eating so much of it.

• XieXie
    Savvy May 2019
    XieXie ·

Hi Alforev,

Yes, my FH has several family member who are vegetarian Buddhists. They'll be seated at vegetarian tables where meat has never been served and get a totally different banquet menu designed for vegetarians.

It sounds pretty yummy - I'm planning to wander over for a nibble from time to time!

ETA: As far as I know, no one from my side is vegetarian. But if anyone turns veg before then or falls wildly in love with a vegetarian, those meals can also be brought on a per person basis to the meat tables, so no one has to eat with strangers.

• OGJessieJV
    Master July 1867
    OGJessieJV ·

Prime rib or Beef Wellington would be good Western dishes, although I love authentic Chinese food.

• OGJessieJV
    Master July 1867
    OGJessieJV ·

Oh, I missed that. Definitely Tenderloin. Is it going to be marinated?

• ThePeoplesBride
    VIP October 2019
    ThePeoplesBride ·

All of those options sound so good! I'm now disappointed in the bagel I have for breakfast.

But I think if you want something west friendly, I would either go with the bordelaise or the bernaise no matter which cut of beef you go with. I find that miso can be a hard sell of westerners if it's not in soup form.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·

Who doesn't eat Chinese food!!?? Everything sounds amazing.

I'd go with tenderloin (easier to eat, perceived as more special) and I'd do both the bordelaise and the bernaise.....yummo.....

• M
    Devoted December 2018
    MissDec1 ·

Ummm all of it sounds absolutely delicious!!!

But tenderloin. Any of those sauces sound delicious. Depends if you want to stick with the Chinese food theme or be completely different! The bernaise and peppercorn sauces both sound delicious for the latter.

• XieXie
    Savvy May 2019
    XieXie ·

Thank you all so much for your advice!

• BrooklynBride
    Expert December 2017
    BrooklynBride ·

What's wrong with pork? I have Peking pork for my non-chinese guests!

• Aly
    Expert June 2018
    Aly ·

Tenderloin, always.

Bernaise is a standard sauce that usually accompanies tenderloin. The sesame-miso butter may go with the Asian theme of the meal though.

• XieXie
    Savvy May 2019
    XieXie ·

BrooklynBride - my dad's side is Jewish. They don't keep strictly kosher (they're fine with mixing plates and so on), but a lot of them draw the line at pork.

I love pork too though!

• K
    Expert July 2018
    K ·

All of those sound delicious and I don't think you can go wrong.

Growing up, we had lots of family friends come over for dinner and my mom made a variety of traditional chinese dishes. Everyone ate/loved everything and it was never a problem

I brought FH to china this past year and he ate everything.

I think as long as you don't go too exotic with the meat, people will be open to all those options

• Going to the chapel
    Master July 2017
    Going to the chapel ·

Tenderloin with either the sesame miso or the brandy peppercorn sauce. Something different than the usual sauces you get all the time.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·

Hmmmm.....You know, I think Going has a point; maybe a 'regular' sauce like a marsala or bordelese and the sesame miso which sounds amazing

• An
    Super September 2019
    An ·

Mmmmmmmm sounds SO good. Also just want to say that its so great that you are making your guests' dietary restrictions/tastes a priority. Personally I would do tenderloin with Sesame-Miso butter, but if you are trying to stray away from asian flavors, I would pick Bearnaise second.

• Going to the chapel
    Master July 2017
    Going to the chapel ·

Exactly Celia. If I'm traveling overseas for a wedding, I want to try different things. I can get the usual any night here.

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·

Can I come? Can we see your menu?? I am so intrigued.

• ThePeoplesBride
    VIP October 2019
    ThePeoplesBride ·

I'm with @OGK, I think there needs to a be a WW table.

• Mrs.Married
    Devoted September 2017
    Mrs.Married ·

Rancher's daughter here, my vote is tenderloin!

• XieXie
    Savvy May 2019
    XieXie ·

Thanks so much for the feedback guys!

I know I may be overthinking things, but I see my family so seldom and they're going to be travelling so far - I want to make things amazing for them! I'm really glad to hear the food sounds good to people. I'll post a full menu once I've made all the choices!

Comment on this discussion