Luisa
Savvy August 2016

Advice for Brides who order PHOTOBOOTHS!

Luisa, on August 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM Posted in Planning 1 21
Saved Save

I work as a photobooth attendant at weddings. I felt compelled to write this list of advice for brides who order photobooths since I work a couple weddings per week. I encounter the same situations over and over again and inevitably, the same problems.

1. Make sure the Emcee makes an announcement about the photobooth at the beginning of the evening and points out where it is.

This is especially important if it's a large venue and the booth is tucked away in a corner. Have him say in the announcement "Open til 11 o clock" or whatever time it is booked until. When there is half an hour left on your photobooth time, have the emcee make another announcement reminding everybody.

Literally EVERY wedding I work at, someone strolls up 5 minutes after we're closed and complains, "but I havent' done any photos all night!" Once the booth is shut down, we can't turn it all back on again by flipping a switch- there's a million different wires and things to connect.

21 Comments

• Luisa
    Savvy August 2016
    Luisa ·
    • Flag

And I can't leave it open for extra time because the truck that picks up all the photobooths at the end of the night is on a schedule. So please encourage guests to use it before the time is up!

2. You can NOT cram an unlimited amount of people into the photobooth!

The company I work for has options for 4, 6, and 10 people. Trust the attendant when they say you have too many people and don't get annoyed. It is for your own good. It will be extremely hot and sweaty and uncomfortable, and you might even break the photobooth. Similarly, listen to the attendants when they say no drinks are allowed inside. When people get drunk, they are clumsy and spill. You don't want a soggy carpet or broken glass in the photobooth for the rest of the night.

3. Don't be rude to children.

This is a weird one. I've worked several weddings where the adults think it's okay to cut in front of the kids in line. They assume the kids photos arent as important or that the kids have been hogging the photobooth all night. If the kids wait in line like everybody else, don't cut in front of them. It's true, little kids LOVE photobooths. They CAN hog the photobooth and get rowdy. But sometimes, even when the kids are well-behaved and patiently wait in line, I've had adult guests assume they have the right to cut in front of them. It is rude, and the little kids have a right to get upset when that happens.

4. Don't be afraid to request changes to the photos.

If you feel the photos are coming out too light, too dark, or you dont like the positioning (ie too much blank space above peoples heads, not zoomed in enough) or any other issues, by all means, tell the attendant right then and there. If you're patient, they can adjust all that to your liking. Also, don't be afraid to ask them to print out extra photos, especially the bridal party ones. Ask them immediately before or after you take the photos.

5. Be very careful about the hours you book!

People usually book way more hours than they end up using, wasting hundreds of dollars. If you don't mind spending the money for guests to stroll around use it at their leisure, then great, but I often look at my watch and think, wow, no one's used it and they just wasted $200. So many times I'm standing around at the beginning of the night waiting for an hour or two while people trickle into the reception room.

Personally, if I were having a photobooth at my wedding, I would book the photobooth for the minimum number of hours (3 hours in my company's case), but then make sure it was jam-packed busy non-stop during those hours with no "dead time."

6. Make sure YOU, the bride and groom get to use it with your bridal party.

You don't need to wait in line. I've worked a lot of weddings where the bride and groom are so busy, they never get a chance to come over to use it. If you provide your own handmade props, then go use the booth early in the evening because your guests will most likely break your props throughout the evening. I worked one wedding where the bride and groom and bridal party used it for 15 minutes at the start of the evening right before everyone else came into the reception room, and that seemed like a really great idea!

7. Please remember to feed your photobooth attendant, or at least offer them a drink of water!

I'll never forget the wedding I worked where I asked for a drink of water, and they informed me they only had bottled water and I had to pay for it myself. I stand on my feet all night and usually don't get a break. Ask the head server or bartender to make sure all the staff members get food/drink.

• TugBride
    Expert October 2018
    TugBride ·
    • Flag

These are all a lot of great points! Though their won't be one at the wedding I am planning I am sure this will be very helpful for those brides who are having a photobooth! Smiley smile

• Laquita
    Dedicated December 2016
    Laquita ·
    • Flag

Thank you for this post, we are getting a photobooth and this will definitely help us out with our decision

• Sandra
    VIP July 2014
    Sandra ·
    • Flag

These are great so I am bumping this.

• Nay
    Master August 2014
    Nay ·
    • Flag

We're having a photo booth for our vow renewal. Thanks for the tips Smiley smile

• Jamgirl
    VIP July 2015
    Jamgirl ·
    • Flag

Thank you for posting, it will be helpful

• Pancakes
    Master October 2015
    Pancakes ·
    • Flag

These are all great tips, thanks! I never thought about asking them to adjust the photo settings, but that's a great idea! And I agree with number 1. The first wedding I went to with a photo booth was at a hotel and the photo booth was in the hallway outside. No one had any idea it was there and it was never mentioned. We stumbled upon it on our way to the bathroom when we asked what it was for and the attendant mentioned it was for the wedding we were at! We were going to book Shutterbooth. But our DJ offered to match the price and said that the attendant and DJ text throughout the night so if there is a lull, the attendant texts the DJ and the DJ throws in there something like "Don't forget to check out the photo booth" or whatever. I thought that was a great selling point because of my first experience with a photo booth at a wedding.

• M&M
    VIP August 2015
    M&M ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the advice!

• Summyya
    Super May 2015
    Summyya ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the advice, what do you suggest to do about kids hogging the booth. Do you think having tickets for the kids is a good idea? Giving them three/ four tickets to limit the amount of time they go in the booth? My bff wedding which I was a bridesmaid had a photobooth and the kids did take over.

• Donna
    Super September 2014
    Donna ·
    • Flag

Great tips and very timely since I am having a meeting on Monday to discuss final details with my DJ, lighting & photo booth company!

• Kathleen
    Devoted March 2015
    Kathleen ·
    • Flag

Great advice, thank you! I'm in the process of looking for one right now.

• K+S
    VIP October 2015
    K+S ·
    • Flag

Thank you for the advice!!

• B
    Expert August 2015
    Bridelady ·
    • Flag

Thank you!

• The Future Mrs. Gierman
    Super August 2014
    The Future Mrs. Gierman ·
    • Flag

Bumping because this is a great post!

• The Future Mrs. Gierman
    Super August 2014
    The Future Mrs. Gierman ·
    • Flag

Bumping because this is a great post!

• Luisa
    Savvy August 2016
    Luisa ·
    • Flag

Thanks guys for appreciating the post! I hope it helps some of you guys out!

Regarding children, and keeping them from taking over the photobooth- that's really a tricky one! It's always best when young children only use the photobooth when supervised with their parents, but I know that at a big wedding that's not always realistic. A lot of times when the kids go in by themselves, I'll try to get away with leaving the curtain door open so their parents can still keep an eye on them. As an employee of the event I don't feel comfortable disciplining other people's children- I only step in when they might damage the photobooth or if they're bothering other guests.

I think tickets could be a good idea to make the children psychologically understand that there's a limit on how much they can use it! But if a child waits in line with everyone else, I'm sure I wouldn't turn them away just because they didn't have a ticket.

• MrsLaguna
    VIP April 2015
    MrsLaguna ·
    • Flag

Thanks for sharing!

• Mrs.Sinatra2B
    Expert August 2014
    Mrs.Sinatra2B ·
    • Flag

Thanks. We are having one, and I like the idea of bringing in the bridal party early to use the booth.

• Debbie
    Super May 2015
    Debbie ·
    • Flag

This is an awesome post! Thank you so much for the advice and tips! We will be having one and ours will be kind of tucked away in a corner that isn't too visible but I'm thinking of making 1 or 2 signs that say photo booth that way, as well as having the DJ mention it!

Regarding #5, when would you say is the best time to have it running? After dinner, during, or the last couple of hours?

• itsdone
    VIP October 2015
    itsdone ·
    • Flag

Great advice I need to remember to look at this later gracias!

Comment on this discussion