William & Mary Alumni House Reviews

20 | Williamsburg, VA

20 Reviews for William & Mary Alumni House

• Dani

Dani Froncillo White · Married on 08/12/2019

Gorgeous! Perfect for the classic bride!

Loved photographing weddings at the the Alumni House! The historic charm and elegance is what my brides love about it. It is so easy to get gorgeous, timeless portraits there. The staff are kind and good at what they do. I can't wait to see the new building! It's going to be even more gorgeous!

Sent on 08/12/2019

Amanda · Married on 03/31/2018

Fantastic Venue and Exceptional Service!

The W&M Alumni House is such a fantastic place to host your wedding! As an alum, I had high standards for my alma mater and they exceeded those expectations. My husband and I were married here in March 2018 and everything went smoothly. Renee, our coordinator, consistently went above and beyond to make sure our day was perfect. From our initial meeting a year before our big day to congratulatory emails following our honeymoon (and 1 year anniversary!), Renee proved to be an invaluable asset to our wedding planning.

We are so very pleased with the support we received from the W&M Alumni House. I would highly recommend having your wedding here!!

Sent on 04/08/2019

William & Mary Alumni House's reply:

Thank you for your sweet message, Amanda! It was wonderful working with you and Jon in the planning process, and we always like seeing the updates on how you all are doing since! -Renee
  • F

Frank · Married on 03/24/2018

Ensure your vendors work closely with the reception venue. Reception venues often have preferred vendors with whom they have a good working relationship. Take advantage of those vendors because it'll make life so much easier.

Sent on 03/31/2018

Kevin · Married on 12/03/2016

Cindy was amazing helping us on our crazy journey getting married. We live completely across the country but Cindy was always there to answer a call or an email if we had questions. She was also vey helpful in leading us to other potential vendors. The staff was terrific is setting everything up exactly where it needed to be. The building looked fantastic for the wedding and all our guests loved it! We couldn't have picked a more perfect venue for our wedding and highly suggest the Alumni House!

Sent on 12/30/2016

Blake · Married on 07/23/2016

I never felt like I needed a wedding planner, because I had the Alumni House staff to walk me through everything. Their staff makes the already beautiful space a perfect reception site pick. There's a reason they have an approved caterer list! We went off the list and paid a high price for our choice (our caterers were 2 hours late and barely even set up in time for the guests' arrival). But, the Alumni House staff worked incredibly hard to help out and conceal the catering crisis (most of the guests never knew). We had a lot of children attend our reception and the separate rooms and outdoor space gave us wonderful options for ways to entertain them. Highly recommend this site as the best in Williamsburg!

Sent on 08/01/2016

Liz · Married on 06/11/2016

I loved working with the Alumni House for my June 2016 wedding! They were incredibly responsive, professional, and accommodating before and during my wedding day. They coordinated seamlessly with my caterers, DJ, and rental company and greatly reduced my stress on the day of my wedding. It was a super hot and humid day in Williamsburg and their team helped solve some heat and sun-related problems during my reception and made sure that all of my guests had a great experience. I highly recommend them!

Sent on 08/22/2016

Kelly · Married on 03/12/2016

I am so happy that we chose to have our wedding reception at the Alumni House. It is a gorgeous venue, and something different in the best way. My husband and I both went to William & Mary so having our reception on campus was special to us. Cindy and her team were a pleasure to work with. Cindy was very helpful in answering our questions and making suggestions about how to use the house's rooms. Our guests loved the venue and we received so many compliments! Our ceremony was at the Catholic Chapel on campus which was within walking distance, so that was an added plus as well. I highly recommend the Alumni House - you will love it!!

Sent on 04/19/2016

The William and Mary Alumni House is a gorgeous place for a wedding! We spread out all over the house and really enjoyed every space. Cindy was BEYOND amazing to work with. I would really recommend having a wedding there in the warmer months, so you can really take advantage of the terrace and the outdoor space.

Sent on 01/20/2016

Jillian · Married on 04/25/2015

The W&M Alumni House was not only the perfect setting for our Williamsburg wedding but the staff did everything in their power to make our big day as perfect as possible - even with a huge downpour! I couldn't have been more pleased with the flexibility, dedication, and professionalism of the staff. The grounds are kept just beautifully and when the flowers bloom in spring it is truly stunning.

Sent on 05/11/2015

Carolyn · Married on 06/07/2014

We chose the Alumni House because we are Alumni of W&M and met and got engaged in Williamsburg. Even if we'd not been alumni, I would have loved everything about this venue. The grounds, the courtyards and the interior are all wonderful, and you don't have to worry about a rain plan because you can use indoor and outdoor space! Cristen was very helpful and easy to work with, and we're excited to visit so that we can see our wedding brick on the Plaza.

Sent on 06/24/2014

This is the perfect location for a wedding reception after a Wren Chapel wedding.

Sent on 05/23/2013

Katrina · Married on 02/11/2011

We had a Friday evening wedding reception at the Alumni House and it was fantastic! Scott was extremely helpful throughout the entire wedding planning process and even answered my questions that had nothing to do with the reception! He was extremely flexible about meeting with my fiance and me on our schedule and even a few last minute visits when family members were in town. He and his staff set up everything exactly the way I wanted and he made sure to go over everything with me in advance so that all of the space was utilized how I wanted. Our reception was beautiful! The great thing about this venue was the price. When we started searching around a lot of places didn't seem to include much for the price you paid. The Alumni House price included renting the entire building, tables, chairs, set up, and clean up. Plus, they coordinated the whole event and had staff to help my guests throughout the evening! It was worth every penny!!

Sent on 02/15/2011

Jessica · Married on 08/15/2015

The William & Mary Alumni House was the perfect place for our wedding reception. It was the best size for our 95 guests. Cindy was easy to work with during the planning process. It was easier to reach her via phone. She happily answered all of my questions and always guided me in the right direction. Emily and the staff who worked at our reception were very nice and made sure everything ran smoothly. I dropped off all of our personal items a few days before our wedding, and the Alumni House staff did all of the setup the day of. I didn't have to worry about a thing! They even helped load things into our cars after the reception. Honestly, we were able to just show up and have a great time. Leadership Hall is on the smaller side, but if you put your dance floor outside on the Terrace it really is an awesome space. All of our guests loved getting to explore the Alumni House. I absolutely recommend the Alumni House for your reception!

Sent on 09/08/2015

Megan · Married on 09/06/2014

The Alumni house is so beautiful and I love all the options we were goven on how to arrange our day. The staff did everything so we didn't have to worry about setting up! It was a beatifiul location and I'd have it again there if I could!

Sent on 12/16/2014
  • Thesaunders64

Thesaunders64@hotmail.com · Married on 04/07/2018

Mother of the Bride

Williamsburg is a special place to our family, and the William and Mary Alumni House was just the venue we were looking for last year when my daughter got married. The event coordinators were great, and in particular, Renee Sanders. I don’t know what we would have done without her. She was accommodating in every way, and was willing to go above and beyond to help make it a memorable day for our daughter, our family, and all of our guests.
    The W&M Alumni House is charming and elegant all at the same time, and the location is perfect.
    My daughter still says that her wedding day was the best day of her life! What more could we ask for?

Sent on 06/17/2019

William & Mary Alumni House's reply:

We loved hosting Catherine & Adam's special day at the Alumni House. It was a pleasure working with both families and making sure that your beautiful vision came to life!

Josh · Married on 03/29/2009

We had a Sunday wedding reception at the Alumni House, so we were able to get it slightly cheaper than normal. However, we would recommend it no matter what the cost. It's certainly a unique venue in a colonial-style house with a small-to-medium banquet hall. They are extremely helpful and friendly and will provide everything you need on your day. The one downfall may be that they have a somewhat limited list of vendors that they allow, but the list they give you are the hands-down best vendors in the area, so there should be no trouble at all (and they will work with you if you have other ideas). Contrary to what the name implies, you don't need to be an alumnus from W&M- anyone can use this site. Highly recommended!

Sent on 04/04/2009

I absolutely love the decor and set-up of the Alumni House. It was fun to have food stations in different rooms and have guests explore different areas of the house. I also liked being able to having parts of the reception outside and parts inside. The event staff leader was very helpful in the planning process- she promptly answered my many questions and was able to meet with us when requested ahead of time. My one complaint was that the person I communicated with throughout the whole planning process was not at my wedding reception (some miscommunications, centerpieces were not set up as requested, despite my meticulous planning). I still highly recommend the Alumni House as a reception venue- truly a unique and beautiful place to have your wedding reception.

Sent on 06/28/2012

Stephanie · Married on 06/25/2016

The W&M alumni house was the perfect setting for our wedding ceremony. Leadership hall was a great size for our 130 guest ceremony and was a cozy, but comfortable room. We were able to use several rooms in the building to get ready, as well as put out food for the bridal party to eat in another room. The location is perfect for on site photos as well (indoor and out door). I would recommend this location to other brides!

Sent on 10/30/2016

Megan · Married on 05/29/2009

It was the perfect venue for our wedding! We were married out on the back bricks under a tent and Scott was super helpful coordinating everything. It was a breeze because everything was included, there were no worries about renting linens, chairs, etc. We used William and Mary catering, which was awesome, as well. My one gripe was that someone (I don't even know who? Scott?) tried to call my husband away during the last dance to finalize payments. Does not make for a happy bride :)

Sent on 01/05/2014

ROGER · Married on 04/09/2016

2.8
      3.5
      2.0

We had our ceremony, reception, and rehearsal at the Alumni House. The ceremony and reception went great and we were very pleased. The venue flows well for a completely indoor event, even with the multiple rooms and having the food and dancing in different parts of the house. All of our guests loved the space. We had some mobility concerns for more elderly guests and the venue worked fine. For a wedding less than 100 guests it was great, and it provided the perfect colonial backdrop that we we're looking for.

Unfortunately they double booked the space for the night of our ceremony rehearsal, and we were very upset with the way that was handled. We were doing our indoor ceremony walk through for a Saturday wedding (had to move indoors due to weather), and the vendors for a conflicting Friday night event were setting up in the exact same space. It was unfortunate since we felt our contact entitled us to quiet enjoyment of the property for our one hour rehearsal. Instead of quiet enjoyment we were tripping over the vendors setting up for that night's event. We were practicing our walk up to the altar and having to dodge the caters lighting their chafing dishes for the buffet for the conflicting event that night. We didn't even have a quiet space to assemble our rehearsal participants since the other vendors were shuffling around us to set up their bar and their drink stations. We always felt like we were in the way, and we were the problem. We were extremely disappointed in how that went down. I felt it was unprofessional at best.

Again, day of ceremony was fine, and we received exactly what we contracted for - that day. But the day before, for our rehearsal, things fell far short of our expectations and it did not get the wedding weekend started off on the right foot. Thankfully our wedding planner was able to make the best of what we had to work with on rehearsal night, since it would've been a train wreck without her.

Sent on 05/01/2016