The Old Cigar Warehouse Reviews

91 | Greenville, SC

91 Reviews for The Old Cigar Warehouse

Judy Stevens · Married on 07/06/2019

great venue

Great venue for a wedding. Having the cocktail hour and then dancing in the front room with dinner being served in the cellar was great......

The only disappointment was in that we paid extra for the wine barrel bar and was told it would be used as a bar - but instead it was used for ice tea and water. I would not of paid extra to do this.

The other item was the seating chart & table assignments. They provided us with the table layout and numbering and when put people at specific tables according to their layout. The day of the wedding the layout did not match what they had given us - so while people were seated at the right table the table was not in the spot we were told it would be.

The event planner, crew were fairly new and it showed. They need a little more direction/experience

Sent on 07/16/2019

Amy · Married on 07/04/2015

3.0

The Old Cigar Warehouse is breathtaking! We are so pleased to have had our wedding ceremony and reception here. The only negative I would say would be that they charge extra for rehearsal and cannot guarantee that the day before your wedding is available for a rehearsal which isn't ideal but understandable due to their popularity. They were easy to work with and Arynn could not have been more helpful!

Sent on 08/03/2015

3.5

We wanted a wedding ceremony and reception with a vintage and rustic feel. OCW was perfect and beautiful. It has so much character. The staff is very professional and helped us feel at ease with any concerns we had. It was a litle pricey, but it was the perfect venue for our needs. Having the ceremony and reception in the same location was so much better for our guests, too. The one negative I will say is the bride's room was a little small. Also, if your event is at night, the lighting is low so for anyone (e.g., the officiant) needing to read, it is best to use an iPad or some other type of device.

Sent on 12/21/2014

Stefanie · Married on 08/15/2014

Venue was awesome! Great staff to work with and very accommodating.

Sent on 09/17/2014

The Old Cigar Warehouse's reply:

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review, Stefanie! We had so much fun working with you on your big day. It was a beautiful wedding and your team of vendors was awesome. Wishing you many years of love and happiness!

Kara · Married on 11/22/2014

3.5

Be sure to be aware of their insurance requirements before you book a vendor! Also, when you do book a vendor, jump on getting the insurance info. from them and to OCW as it can be a process! The girls were all very helpful and the venue has a lot of character. Our guests loved it! :)

Sent on 12/03/2014

3.5

Our wedding at the old cigar warehouse was an absolute dream! The venue itself is so gorgeous there is little need to overdue it with decor. The staff that worked with us was truly kind, helpful, and professional! I couldn't have had a more perfect day. There were a few things that I felt other brides would like to know prior to booking with this venue though. A rehearsal is not included in the price that you pay for the venue on your wedding day-- it is an additional 200 dollars with no guarantees that the space will be available to you due to the fact that they also have events on Friday! I was lucky to have a coordinator who came to my rehearsal dinner and staged a rehearsal! The other thing (that has nothing to do with their incredible staff) is that the owner of the venue is ALL business. I was given a massive contract of things I had to uphold as a bride that was really overwhelming. Other than those two things my experience with them couldn't have gone better, but I just wanted to give a heads up to future brides!

Sent on 03/01/2015

Tonya · Married on 12/27/2013

3.0

My daughter's wedding and reception went off without a hitch! The staff had to flip the main hall from the ceremony space with 215 chairs into our dance floor while we were enjoying the dessert bar in the Cellar. They did this with lightning speed, even though they also had to decorate 6 of our tables in the process. Every question we asked throughout the day was answered quickly, and every concern addressed.
    As the MOtB, I was the last to leave the venue after the event, and came out to find my car battery had died. One of the security fellows came right out, jumped off the battery, and got me going safely on my way.

Sent on 12/30/2013

The Old Cigar Warehouse's reply:

Tonya, thank you so much for taking time to review your experience. We had a great time seeing Cecilia's wedding come together. It was so nice to see her so happy and able to relax and enjoy the day. We are happy to hear you were pleased with our performance that day! We try to help in any way we can. So sorry about your car...maybe we will start keeping jumper cables at the venue! Please think of us again in the future!

Mary · Married on 08/07/2015

3.5

We loved this venue the moment we saw. It has such a unique charm. We were very pleased w/ the willingness for them to work on the bar set up. All the staff were super friendly and easy to work with.

Sent on 08/24/2015

Jamie · Married on 04/29/2016

3.5

The venue was gorgeous and they do excellent day of directing, but there was a feeling more than once that they did not have time for us, or were trying to hurry us along. Overall a very positive experience!

Sent on 09/29/2016

Kally · Married on 12/30/2018

3.6
      3.0

Ended up being the best day, but not without hiccups

Our actual wedding day was absolutely fantastic and was everything that I had imagined. However, the planning process with OCW was frustrating. Before booking this beautiful venue, I would advise any bride to ask many clarifying questions, as I received contradicting responses on multiple occasions. What didn't help was their change in management during our planning process with a lack of communication in their transition- which hopefully won't happen for future brides. The morning of our rehearsal, we had to wait beyond our starting time because no one was there to let us in. Four days before our wedding, my planner was notified that our table layout wouldn't work because it was in a fire zone, when we had been sending them floor plans for months before the wedding.

In summary: I really loved the aesthetic and environment here, the day-of staff was phenomenal (from OCW and Liquid Catering), it was just the planning process was made more stressful because of managing staff we worked with. We had 200 people with a seated dinner and cocktail hour that was out on the deck under a tent. Cocktail hour was definitely tighter than I wanted and/or expected it to be, but dinner was so wonderful and we were able to fit 200 comfortably.

Sent on 01/22/2019
  • Michael

Michael Good · Married on 04/19/2019

Beautiful Venue - Customer Service Lackluster

Very beautiful venue, but as others have stated - the service is very impersonal. Even the final details meeting was very pins and needles, albeit no reason for it to be. As others have stated, the day of "manager" is not the "manager" whom you work with leading up to the event. At first (prior to signing the contract) the attention, responsiveness, and customer service is top notch. However, after signing the contract, and paying the initial deposit - this all fades.

Sent on 04/30/2019

Elizabeth · Married on 11/12/2016

3.0

The venue was amazing. Only downfall is our original wedding day coordinator resigned a month before our wedding so we were assigned a new day of coordinator so things didn't go as smooth as it should of, and a lot was placed on my husband for that day when he should of been able to relax and not worry about things for the wedding as the day of coordinator should of handled. Hopefully, the day of coordinator we were assigned has improved in order to alleviate stress not only off the bride, but the groom as well.

Sent on 07/01/2017
  • Penny

Penny Dyar · Married on 09/11/2018

2.8

Beautiful Venue but be Mindful

Beautiful venue (inside and out) and the employees are very polite, however the planners are not very detail oriented and the turn over rate for employees is high. I was warned this by a friend that had her wedding there a year before us and we ended up experiencing the same thing. If you book this venue spend on money on a planner AND coordinator that do not work for Old Cigar. This will ensure you are not being asked to change decisions the day before, that were finalized much further in advance. The person that described the coordinator role to us and convinced us to book the level we did was no longer with the company by the time our wedding rolled around and we were quickly forgotten about.

Sent on 03/11/2020

The Old Cigar Warehouse's reply:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Penny. Since your wedding in 2018, we now have two full-time sales managers, as well as two full-time coordinators. We also have a software system that helps our team follow brides through the steps leading up to their special day. Four to six weeks before the big day, we conduct a final details meeting to finalize the guest count, timeline, equipment needs, and floorplan. These measures ensure that communication is maintained and no detail is missed.

2.4
      0.5
      3.0

My wedding was in April and was absolutely beautiful at this venue. However, they were not very accommodating. I found that working with them was VERY difficult. I had to jump through so many hoops for them and ended up at the last minute having to find someone else to do my cake because this venue would not approve my cake baker.

I found the interaction with the staff to be very impersonal and too business-like. When meeting for my final review before the big day there was a lot of tension. It was my understanding that I rented the space, and so I hired a wedding coordinator to help me coordinate the event. But, the staff was so demanding and would not allow me to use the space how I desired. As a bride this was very frustrating. You envision your day and pay money for your idea of the perfect venue, only to meet with the venue coordinator and be told over and over "It can't be done". When arranging tables and setting up the rooms everything was computerized. I felt that there was absolutely no wiggle room in where to position a table because of their over inflated view of how the room "should" be arranged. As far as I was concerned I paid for the space and really would have appreciated a little bit of freedom in what I did with it. All the vendors are required to prove their insurance so if any damage resulted from moving a table just a foot closer then it would have been covered by insurance.

The day of my event was just fine. The girl who worked my event was not even the same one I sat with in meetings. The venue was beautiful and at the end of the day I was married but it was quite a headache along the way.

I would recommend this venue simply because it's beautiful but just be warned the planning process may not go very smoothly.

Sent on 05/27/2014

The Old Cigar Warehouse's reply:

Thank you so much for choosing the Old Cigar Warehouse and for your detailed feedback! We always love to hear your thoughts. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with your actual wedding day and the performance of our staff.

We are a hands-on, full-service venue and pride ourselves on not just “handing over the keys” when the space is rented but rather, use our experience and knowledge of events and our space to help guide you to a layout that will create the most ideal experience for you and your guests. Our layout software is meant to be used as a helpful tool since it shows the room drawn to scale and is never meant to be a restriction. We are, of course, limited to restraints sometimes due to the size of our rooms and unique features that take up space. The advice we offer on how to best use the space is always meant to benefit you and your guests. We apologize if you felt differently but hope you were still pleased with the layout and flow and that all of your guests were comfortable throughout the evening.

We recognize that we have policies in place that may differ from other venues but are sorry to hear you felt as though you had to jump through hoops. We were under the impression that you understood our policies explained during the booking process and why we were unable to approve a vendor who was uninsured. Hopefully you found our extensive list of approved bakers to be helpful when you chose a new one!

We will certainly take all of your feedback into consideration as we move forward. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any other concerns. We do, sincerely, appreciate your recommendation and wish you nothing but happiness in your marriage! All the best!
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 10/27/2018

2.2

Disappointed

The Old Cigar Warehouse is a beautiful venue and our guests had a great time the day of the wedding. The wedding went well the day of. However, the planning leading up to the wedding made a stressful time even more stressful. We were misquoted several times and had several additional miscommunications. The management was very inflexible to work with during each of these interactions. Considering the price compared to comparable venues, it shouldn’t have been so difficult to work with them.

Sent on 11/10/2018

Judy · Married on 06/27/2020

Do not recommend

We began planning our wedding in March of 2019. We had booked the OCW way before the pandemic and the booking process was very easy. Everyone there was very nice to begin with and sent us our contracts in a timely manor. We had also booked a wedding planner on their bronze package. They didn't allow us to pick our wedding planner due to their staff having constant changes. This was a little annoying as we would have liked to have a planner that had worked with our ceremony venue before. However, we got lucky and they assigned us a wonderful wedding planner (Emily Jimmerson). We began communicating with our wedding planner around September 2019 (our date being June 27, 2020). She was very easy to work with and had a lot of experience working with all of our vendors. Unfortunately, due to covid-19 we had to reconsider our date. My entire family and some of my husbands family is from New York and my mother works at a hospital. A lot of our family was unable to attend our wedding now in June so we decided to ask the OCW if it was possible to change our date. We contacted our wedding planner on March 17th 2020 to discuss moving our date to August in order to accommodate our guests. We were told Old Cigar Warehouse would be giving couples the option to postpone to a date in the fall at no extra cost. We were told Friday, August 28th would be reserved for us as a backup option and we would have a few weeks to make the final decision on postponement. On April 1st, we had another phone call with The Old Cigar Warehouse and moved the wedding date to August 28th. Again, we were told there would be no extra cost associated with this change. We were also told the event price would decrease to reflect our change from a Saturday to a Friday event. On the phone, we received word that everything was now confirmed for the new date. My then fiance and I rescheduled with all of our vendors for the new date, sent out postponement notices to all of our guests, and updated our wedding website. However come April 29th, we received this new policy stating "Weddings taking place 60-90 days from their cancellation date can reschedule with a $2,500 date change fee". The email stated that this fee would apply to us. We did not understand the $2,500 penalty in our circumstance. We made a decision nearly a month before understanding different terms. At that time we were working to keep our business with The Old Cigar Warehouse and we felt that shifting to this backup date was part of a collaborative effort between us and the OCW team to give us the best probability of having the wedding we had envisioned. We ended up having a phone call with the CEO of High Spirit Hospitality to cancel our wedding at the OCW, as we no longer wanted to do business with them. She proceeded to tell us on the phone that she would only refund us a very very small percentage of what we already had paid them. After we had spent all the extra money to move our other vendors and send out new invitations because they had told us they would move the date for us for free. We ended up accepting the refund because we just didn't want to deal with them any more. The CEO also asked us to not post on social media about them which rubbed us the wrong way. I assume they pulled this with a lot of their clients. Although our wedding planner was wonderful I do not recommend planning any events at the OCW as they are highly unorganized and do not communicate correct information.

Sent on 07/24/2020