Karen Donatelli Cake Designs Reviews

15 Reviews for Karen Donatelli Cake Designs

1 User photo

Alexandra · Married on 11/09/2019

Delicious and beautiful

The cake was not only beautiful and exactly what I asked for but was very reasonable. Also got the mini key lime pies and cookies that were a huge hit! She was so kind and made sure everything was perfect

Sent on 11/14/2019

elaine · Married on 09/28/2019

Delicious and beautiful cakes and best concierges!

karen was wonderful to work with! When we did our tasting with her the presentation of the tasting was beautiful! That’s how I knew the wedding cake would be stunning! She worked with my florist to get the flowers on my cake the day of the wedding. We also did a destination wedding and I wanted to save the top of our cake. Karen advised me that usually the top gets ruined during the shuffling around with the event staff and after thinking of the reality of the situation, I agreed. Karen created a replica of the top of our cake and we even got to pick another flavor. She kept the top of the cake in her shop’s freezer and went back for it after she was done with our cake at our venue. She then delivered it to our hotel and stored it in their commercial kitchen’s freezer so that it was ready for us upon check out. The process was seamless and easy! Such a great idea and wonderful customer service on Karen’s part. She will go above and beyond for her clients. Her cakes are delicious and beautiful and literally baked with love!!

Sent on 10/27/2019
  • Meghan

Meghan Hollen · Married on 05/25/2019

Avl wedding cake boss!

Karen is truly a pro! We loved her from the first taste of cake to the last. Her flavors are diverse, and she listened to our vision to make it a reality. She was realistic and mindful of our budget which was also a plus! We will be making the cake shop a part of every trip to Asheville! Thank you so much :)

Sent on 08/04/2019
  • Shayna

Shayna Sengewalt · Married on 11/17/2018

Wedding cupcakes

Karen did our wedding cup cakes and they were devine! They were so elegant and tasty. She was so amenable to all our requests and she set up a HUGE tasting for us that was fit for a king. She can do a range of desserts for all budgets and delivered the cup cakes to the venue. She was even understanding when we had to change our wedding date a WEEK before due to a hurricane. She was so nice and very responsive. I loved working with her and I would recommend her to anyone!

Sent on 12/10/2018

Deanna · Married on 10/22/2016

Karen was amazing! The wedding cake she made for us was over the top beautiful! She also made the entire table of various desserts that were spook delicious! Our guests raved about the desert table! I thought her prices were so reasonable, we paid for the cake and all the deserts what some bakerys would charge for the cake alone. Everything was melt in you mouth delicious! She even provided some gluten free options which were also amazing!

Sent on 10/28/2016

Kristi · Married on 08/13/2016

Karen was so nice to work with. She pays close attention to detail and made a very complicated cake for my wedding. The cake was gorgeous! I am still getting compliments on it. More than that, it was delicious! Every layer and flavor was better than any wedding cake I had ever tasted. I highly recommend Karen to anyone looking for a wedding cake creation.

Sent on 09/01/2016

amanda · Married on 06/25/2016

While we did not use Karen for our wedding cake, namely because she was quite far from our venue, and the cost of transporting the cake just didn't make sense, we did use her for a special rehearsal dinner cake. When we came in for a tasting originally, it was myself, my husband, and my parents - she gave us 11 slices (FULL SLICES) of cake between the four of us, and we were all pretty much like "this is some of the best cake ever!" - my dad in particular loved her strawberry cake, so we had her prepare one for our rehearsal dinner (and we transported it ourselves as it was small). boy did she go above and beyond. I wish I could add a picture - it wasn't just amazing in taste, it was BEAUTIFUL too. She even had real, full, chocolate covered strawberries on the top and around the sides. They could have been desert enough. Definitely recommend!! And we will for sure be stopping in for a slice of cake next time we are in Asheville.

Sent on 08/15/2016

Linda · Married on 10/10/2014

Karen made a variety of cakes for my daughter's wedding. They were all different flavors and decorated beautifully in fall themes. The guests raved about the cakes and really enjoyed trying the different flavors. The whole table set up was gorgeous and had all of us drooling in anticipation of the cake cutting. Besides the fabulous cakes, Karen is the most delightful person to work with. She is a true artist and obviously loves what she does. Her genuine love of her art and her desire to bring to life exactly what the client wants is wonderful. We were so happy that we had Karen part of our wedding. She is the best!

Sent on 11/11/2014

Meghan · Married on 09/19/2014

From the first time speaking to Karen we knew we had found the perfect bakery for our wedding cake. Karen came to us via word of mouth and I was so thankful to find her. She does a class act job starting with the cake tasting all the way through delivery and set up. The flavor was really something special, all of our guests are still talking about it. We highly recommend Karen!

Sent on 10/16/2014

Jamila · Married on 07/05/2014

Karen is wonderful beyond words!! She has a level of skill in making cakes that are both beautiful and delicious that I did not see anywhere else on my extensive wedding cake search. I had a dark chocolate with raspberries and chambord wedding cake - and all of my guests without fail are still raving about it!!

Karen is super sweet and a real pleasure to work with - what a wonderful lady! She's an artist incomparable to others in her field!

She's hard to find online, but don't let that discourage you! Call her for a tasting - you really won't regret it!!

Sent on 07/23/2014

Most unbelievable wedding cake not only in beauty but taste. We all enjoyed the many flavors. You could not find a better tasting cake in the Asheville area. Karen is a joy to work with and makes the best cakes ever.

Sent on 08/08/2013

Karen did a beautiful job with my cake. She made sure that everything was delivered when it needed to be in order to maintain its freshness. We chose to have pumpkin spice and apple cakes in jars, with our cake that we cut being an 8 inch pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese icing. Everything was delicious, and not even the leftovers went to waste. I am very sure that there is nothing that comes from Karen's kitchen that is not both gorgeous and delicious. She has a talent and she is using it exactly how it should be used. At Karen Donatelli Cake Designs, you can have your cake and eat it, too!

Sent on 10/22/2012

Outstanding! Hands down the best wedding cake I have ever had! Karen was great, completely willing to work with us and provide us with a personalized cake. I would highly recommend her to all brides in the Asheville area.

Sent on 09/11/2012

Tai · Married on 09/16/2017

My husband and I visited Karen's bakery on a whim while we were visiting Asheville to confirm this was where we wanted to hold our destination wedding. Karen accommodated us as walk-ins the day of to provide a cake tasting, and we fell in love with her cakes. Everything we tried was so delicious, we were not even concerned what they would look like at that point, we were sold! Planning from afar, we were able to discuss specifics via email and over the phone. Ultimately, we went with three small cakes of varying flavors in a fall/fruit design. Everyone RAVED about these cakes. They were gorgeous and delicious. So good, in fact, that several people opted to eat leftover cake the following morning with their brunch. We cannot wait to visit Karen's bakery again the next time we visit Asheville.

Sent on 04/28/2018

1.0
      3.0

Karen made a delicious and unique cake for my wedding. Although the cake turned out perfectly, she seemed too bogged down with other orders to provide the responsive service I was expecting. It took months to get a formal contract, and even longer to communicate the type of cake I was looking for. I had to follow up via email several times in order to get a response. We were very happy with the cake that was delivered on the wedding day; however, we did not know if Karen had a proper understanding of the special cake we were looking for until finally seeing it at the wedding for the first time.

Sent on 11/13/2015

Karen Donatelli Cake Designs's reply:

Hello, this is Karen Donatelli responding to your review. Thank you for your feedback as it is always appreciated. My customers and my clients are the very heart of my business and I value each and every one. I believe in the services I provide, and although I am not perfect, I do try to focus on each bride individually, and try my upmost to respond as quickly as possible. I do require at the time of the consultation that certain items are prepared by the bride to assist me to serve you, I ask that the bride be prepared to choose flavors, choose a design, and go over all of the details so that I can be prepared to complete a proposal in detail. Costs are always discussed so that you know an approximate price prior to securing your wedding date. Before I can prepare a proposal, I need a deposit to secure your date. There is no contract, only your acceptance of the proposal. If there is little response, it may be because all details and a deposit are needed prior to receiving the proposal, which takes valuable time. I enjoy my work, I am most passionate about every cake, pastry, and dessert that I create. I am an artistic professional that enjoys providing a quality product and a valuable service. I am a businesswoman that cares about each customer, my apologies to you for not meeting your expectations, it is my goal to exceed them.
    Karen Donatelli