JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa Reviews

Wedding Overview:
    Invited guests:63
    Guests attending: 22
    Budget: $15,000, Spent: $16,700
    Pre Wedding Planning: A-Francisco Roman was our assigned wedding planner, and he did a fantastic job. He helped us arrange for a small wedding group rate that didn’t require a contract, as well as planning every last detail of our event. One thing to note about all of the vendors in this area, communication back and forth by email is much slower than we are used to in the US. The JW was no exception, but you shouldn’t worry. Once the wedding drew closer, emails were much more frequent and Frank had all of the details well in hand.
    Ceremony (5:30pm Beach): A
    The ceremony set up was spectacular. The hotel staff made sure that all of our props (sand ceremony, vow cards etc) were beautifully arranged and the chairs were perfectly placed. We had an officiant that was fine but could have been better. We wrote out our ceremony completely so we had exactly what we wanted said.
    Cocktail Party (6 pm Beach): A
    Although we missed the party, our guests could not stop raving the bartender, hors d’eurves and mexican trio that we’d contracted through the hotel. We were having our pictures taken during this time.
    Reception (7 pm Beach): A+
    The reception set-up was gorgeous! We chose a seated dinner with three different meal options (Fish, Beef and Chicken) and it was the amazing. Everyone was raving about it even days after the wedding. We had our dance first, followed by speeches, then cutting the cake, and then dinner and dancing! Everything was great! The cake was the best wedding cake we’d ever tasted. If you do have your dancing on the beach, get a small wooden dance floor. This was a last minute addition and well worth it. Dancing in the sand would have been impossible.

• I
    Irja Married on 01/31/2015
    Let me start by saying that we did not have a wedding at the JW Marriott. However, our needs were very similar because they included a religious ceremony and a dinner (a small mixed Hispanic/American Sweet 15/16 celebration). We were most impressed by restaurant Gustino. We are from New York and not easy to please, but we have to say that the restaurant did a magnificent job. They were smooth, professional, and helpful with suggestions, especially supervisor Adriana. Gustino is not affordable by most Americans standards, but the quality and flavors of the food are worth every peso. I would recommend Gustino for romantic occasions because of lovely little touches like a candle table, soft music, rose petals by requests, and a saxophone serenade for the birthday girl. For those celebrating a wedding, Gustino can be a wonderful rehearsal dinner option or a reception facility for a small party. Obviously, Marriott banquet facilities, but our group of 17 was too small for such festivities. If anyone is interested in an elegant sitdown dinner, we recommend Gustino highly.
  • I
    Irene Married on 10/15/2012
    I had an amazing wedding at the JW in Cancun. 40 guests attended, most stayed at the resort. My impossible to please father goes on and on about how perfect the wedding and his vacation was all the time. My husband and I feel the same way- my favorite day ever! Francisco, the hotel assigned wedding planner, made sure everything went off without a hitch. I am a planner and waiting a day or two for an email response was the only "issue" I had. Looking back, I think I was stressing myself out. I was truly relaxed the entire day of, Francisco handled everything perfectly. The hotel referred us to our photographer Oscar Zarate, videographer, florist, and DJ. I was very happy with all. Our pictures are STUNNING!!! It is a great value and experience to get married during a vacation on the beach. The beach in Cancun is phenomenal. The area is pretty touristy outside the hotel, but with that comes a reduced fear of being in another country for your guests that don't typically travel. I highly recommend visiting the area to see venues before you book, you'll know this is the right place. We were considering another location that is all inclusive and realized it was a total dump when we came down, I would have been so embarrassed if our family and friends came down for the half assed production the other spot had (guests not a part of the wedding 10 feet away, meh food, no privacy at all!). The JW was a class act from day 1. We toured the locations and rooms, reviewed a detailed contract, and understood the fine print before signing anything. You might be able to see my pix on Oscar's website if you look for my wedding date 10/15/12- husband looks like Mark Ruffalo and wore a great suit and I am brunette- this is a real review. This place is really that great!!!
  • Stacy
    Stacy Married on 11/11/2012
    There was definitely a delay in response, and quite a bit of prompting was needed, but if you are a hands on bride it is worth it! The venue is absolutely stunning. Everyone talked about how great the food was at our wedding, and people were raving about the service at the hotel itself.
  • User2116932 2+ years ago
    The Good: Beautiful grounds and rooms. Love the semi-private, modern gazebo overlooking the water-Breathtaking. Great long aisle for a wedding:) Friendly staff
    The Neutral: Quiet pool (no music), Chairs are limited by the pool but plenty on the beach. Windy!
    The Bad:
    1) E-mail correspondence is on "island time". Very slow sales response (5-8 business days). Example, we wanted a contract 1st week in June and didn't get one until 7 weeks later since questions/details took so long.
    2) Poor communication between sales team, event revenue and JW wedding coordinator as there were several overcharges that we had to get corrected:
    - "Discounted" room block rate of "$100 off" was misleading. It was MORE expensive than online rate posted in Dec.
    - Charged $5 extra/each hour/guest than original bar quote.
    - $/plate was not prorated as originally quoted
    - Bank of Mexico exchange rate was not aligned with date of purchase & inaccurately charged us $700 USD more.
    - Double charged for our stay...
    3) Inefficient hotel block which caused 15 hours of frustration. Many hotels in the US allow the bride/groom to view their guests reservations online. I didn't know our room block was full until a guest told me. Long process to change: e-mail for total and then e-mail to increase (1 week process). Reservations had the wrong rate listed for guests. JW contract requires the bride/groom to pay for any guest room cancellation (not the guest)! Contract requires us to pay for unused rooms (if 90% of room block is not booked) so you need a very accurate guest count to block rooms. So if 1 guest booked, we'd have to e-mail again (wait a week to find out which dates were full and ask them to increase it by 1 room.) You're only allowed to release 10% (about 1 room per night). In the US, bride/groom can release ALL unused rooms.

Summary: Beautiful hotel but I would recommend hiring a local wedding planner to help negotiate better prices/contract.