366 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11217 Map · Phone number
  • Real Weddings 2

About Kimera

Designer/owner, Yvonne Chu, opened Kimera in November 1999 in Park Slope, Brooklyn. The jewel-box sized boutique in Brooklyn served as a showcase for Yvonne's original designs as well as other local artisans and soon became a local favorite.

We also started receiving requests for custom special occasion dresses. Hesitant at first, with no prior experience in formal dresses (Yvonne's previous work was primarily as a freelance sportswear designer), we started with a few basic silk shantung styles. One day, a happy customer wearing a Kimera dress stopped by on her way to a friend's wedding and told me she "hadn't felt this beautiful" since her own wedding day. Soon, we were taking orders for bridesmaids' dresses and even a few wedding gowns. One of our creations even went to Paul McCartney's wedding at a European castle!

Apparently, there was quite a need in the market at the time for a stylish alternative to the traditional bridal shops, and Kimera quickly outgrew the original space. In the Summer of 2002, we expanded into our current Atlantic Avenue location in downtown Brooklyn.

We take great pride in the fact that all of our dresses are handmade by our team of expert seamstresses in our Brooklyn studio. Yvonne still plays an an integral role in the design of every dress, paying careful attention to every detail, from the fit and construction of the first prototype to the finished garment.

Our mission at Kimera continues to be providing style and quality at an affordable price. We are inspired by influences as wide-ranging as the timeless elegance of Audrey Hepburn and Jackie O. to exotic cultures from around the globe and the diversity of our Brooklyn neighborhoods.

We hope to make many more women "feel beautiful" on their wedding day and every day!

postcard8
picture 19
zoe1
625l 161 model
Kimera
Ivory lace and silk shantung simple A-line gown with low back.
Ivory lace and silk shantung simple A-line gown with low back.
img104
BridalshootMay2004001

30 Reviews for Kimera

Joyce Lin · Married on 05/11/2019

Dress, Coat, and Tie

Yvonne and her staff are kind, supportive, professional, and immensely talented.

I have admired the Asian/classic modern aesthetic of Kimera Designs for ages, so when I was finally getting married, I was delighted to get to work with them for a wedding ensemble that gave a nod to my Taiwanese heritage and my own classic aesthetic.

Yvonne gave me excellent advice as far as flowers for my hair, the length of the coat I chose to go with my wedding dress (early spring outdoor wedding in MA!), and a matching sash to go with my groom's tie. (He loved his tie so much that he ended up wanting more of her beautiful ties for other occasions.)

She and her staff were never pushy, always flexible and accommodating (I had to shift an appointment at one point due to a medical procedure), and made me feel beautiful and special for my wedding.

I loved that all the work for my attire was done in Brooklyn, too! The custom-made dress and coat fit perfectly, and were very reasonably priced, considering the quality of the silk fabric and tailoring.

Everyone complimented me and the clothes. I'm hoping to get to wear them again separately for special occasions in the future, too!

Sent on 06/03/2019
  • Samantha

Samantha · Married on 09/16/2018

I cannot recommend Kimera highly enough. The most beautiful and unique clothing in NYC! Everyone who works at the shop is kind and tremendously helpful and Yvonne is a true genius. She made a dress for me for my rehearsal dinner and walked me through every step of the way. The dress is the most flattering thing I own and the quality is tremendous. I am officially a lifelong Kimera lover!

Sent on 08/31/2018

Elizabeth · Married on 10/07/2017

Yvonne did a fabulous job with dresses and ties for our wedding. The fabrics were fun and colorful, and she worked with us to get the fit just right. Yvonne made everything easy for us, from the first meeting to the last.

Sent on 10/15/2017

Award

Kimera FAQ

• What are your price ranges for full-priced wedding gowns? Under $500, $500 - $999, $1,000 - $2,499
  • Which of the following services do you provide? Full Customization
  • Which of the following items do you offer? Bridal Gowns, Formal Gowns, Hair Accessories, Jewelry, Plus Size Gowns, Sample Gowns, Shoes
  • How often do you receive new bridal gowns? Monthly
  • What is your return policy? Final Sales

Real Weddings

• Deity Events
    Deity Events Banquet Halls

Kimera is one of those rare gems in NYC. Having been in the Wedding business for over a decade, owner Yvonne Chu is really on the pulse of what prospective Brides want. Her aesthetic is global, yet clean and modern. She takes the time to custom fit each piece for her clients. Her portfolio includes wedding gowns, bridesmaid dresses, mother-of-the-bride ensembles, flower girl dresses, custom ties for grooms and groomsmen, wedding accessories, and decor. We never hesitate to send our clients in her direction.

• 366 Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn, 11217 See on map