Janice Martin Custom

Ardmore, PA View map

Ms. Martin has been designing clothing for private clients for over twenty-five years and her experience shows when collaborating with her client for the best possible design outcome. Whether working directly with the bride or navigating the sometimes tricky shoals of family dynamics, her ability to hear the concerns of her client allows her to produce the best gown with the most value whether that client affords a custom made French beaded lace or whether her desire is for something regal, sophisticated and/or simple in design.

Ms. Martin's first public commission was for Ildiko Komlosi who sang with Luciano Pavarotti in the televised Verdi Requiem in 1986. The six foot tall soprano had arrived from Hungary without a gown for the performance, so the Opera Company of Philadelphia turned to Janice Martin to outfit her… with only one week to spare! In 1997, the Philadelphia Museum of Art also turned to Ms. Martin when it was time to restore Princess Grace's wedding veil for their upcoming exhibit "Best Dressed: 250 Years of Style". In the intervening years, Ms. Martin designed a limited edition line of evening wear which was sold on Seventh Avenue, ran the fashion shows for the Italian Consulate in Philadelphia and honed her design skills while developing her private clientele.

Moving her studio from Main Street, Manayunk (Philadelphia) in 2005 to Ardmore PA changed the dynamics of the business somewhat. Now, in addition to designing bridal and evening wear, her staff is also busy designing entire wardrobes for women that include everything from leather or lace slacks to rainwear and cashmere coats to hip classics for cocktail parties!

Who do you provide services for?

Bride
Flower Girls
Mother of the Bride
Mother of the Groom

Which of the following services do you provide?

Appointments Only
Full Customization

Which of the following items do you offer?

Bridal Gowns
Customary Attire
Dress Replicas
Formal Gowns
Hair Accessories
Jewelry
Veils

What is the average turnaround time for a bridal gown?

Less than 6 months

Gabrielle Married on 05/03/2019

Janice conquered the insurmountable !

I had the honor of wearing my late mother's wedding dress for my wedding. The task was to update a 1980's [style] dress for a 21st century celebration. The challenges included addressing the then-popular puffy shoulders and long lace sleeves, as well as increase its length to fit a 5'8" woman. Janice was acutely aware of the task and rose to the challenge. Her skilled and gifted hand delivered the most beautiful wedding dress I was so proud to wear. Janice's keen eye and acuity to match the original French lace permitted the needed extension to the hem and her modern fashion knowledge provided for an extra pearl detail as well as a belt detail to beautify my thin waist. Together with her flexible appointment schedule Janice afforded me the opportunity to wear my mother's wedding dress and feel her presence with me.
    Jessica Married on 06/24/2016
    6/24/2016 = My dream wedding dress was a family heirloom. It first belonged to my grandma (married in 1954), and was next worn by my mom (married in 1978). I loved this dress, and remarkably, it was in mint condition. But it didn’t fit, and it wasn’t flattering. Janice Martin Couture had gotten rave reviews, especially when it came to heirloom dresses, and it’s clear why. Her expertise is outstanding. She easily assessed my dress and my figure, listened to what I wanted, and arrived at the perfect redesign so that would get to wear the dress of my dreams. Beyond her expertise in design and alterations, Janice is a wonderfully warm human being, and the atmosphere she creates in her shop is so comfortable. We were a team in this project, discussing ideas and comparing looks. My headpiece, from my mother-in-law, was also redesigned by Janice. The original long veil was replaced with a birdcage veil, a perfect style match for my 1950’s dress. Everything looked AMAZING for my wedding day. Throughout the entire process, Janice was well organized and communication was on point. There were no hidden costs – everything was discussed and determined at the start (including the bag and steaming), so I could easily plan my budget. A dress designed or redesigned by Janice Martin is worth every penny.
  • User2769296 2+ years ago
    Where do I start!! Janice is a gem in disguise and worth every single penny. She work magic to my Pronovias dress that needed a lot of work. I brought my dress to her with less than a month left before I walk down the aisle to marry my prince charming and I got it back on time. My dress needed to be resized, sleeves needed to be added, the hem was to long. She was always open to my ideas, suggestions, likes & dislikes. Though she is a bit pricey but you truly get what you paid for! She is worth every penny!! I highly recommend her!

41 Cricket Avenue Ardmore, 19003

By appointment Tuesday through Saturday.
Location of (Janice Martin Custom)

Other vendors in Philadelphia for your wedding