Back Patio Event Design

2022 Couples' Choice Awards Winner
$4,000 Package Price

2022 Couples' Choice Awards Winner
$4,000 Package Price

Welcome and thank you for stopping by our Back Patio!

We're Laura & Kayla and we started Back Patio Event Design in San Diego, CA with the purpose of providing stress-free and organized wedding planning and production. As experienced planners and coordinators, we believe every event should be grounded with love, support and creating warm memories.

Making your wedding memorable...

At Back Patio Event Design, we pride ourselves on the professionalism, attention to detail and passion that we bring to wedding planning. Imagine your big day created with a classic, polished and clean design. We want you to enjoy your planning process, the day of your wedding and the warm memories created with your friends and family.

We're more than just coordination...

Our main focus is setting you up for wedding planning success. You put a tremendous amount of time, effort and emotions into building your dream day. When you start with our terrace package, you receive just that: The wedding planning guidance you deserve to keep your hard work organized and on schedule to match your lifestyle. Our reviews speak for themselves and we encourage you to check them out! We will always offer you suggestions to stay motivated and driven towards your stress-free wedding day. The guidance we provide you added with the help of a trustworthy list of our preferred vendors, will help you be on your way to hosting a beautifully designed day that you both deserve.

A little more about us...

Kayla Portillo and Laura Harrelson created Back Patio Event Design, LLC in 2017 with the vision of giving couples like yourself, the best day of your life, stress-free!

At Back Patio, we have the expertise and experience in hospitality and attention to detail, making sure your wedding goes off without a hitch. Our passion is making sure your wedding is the most special day of your life. This means working closely with you to understand your vision and working tirelessly to make sure it's executed to perfection.

We would be honored to get to know you and help bring your dream wedding to life!

• Woman-owned

What is the starting price for day-of wedding coordination?

$1,800

What is the starting price for partial wedding planning?

$4,000

What is the starting price for full wedding planning?

$8,000

Do you offer an hourly rate?

What is the hourly rate?

$250

What wedding events do you provide services for?

Ceremony
Reception
Rehearsal Dinner

What wedding planning services do you offer?

Budget Analysis
Day-of Coordination
Event Design
Full Planning
Partial Planning
Timelines
To-Do Lists
Vendor Referrals

What weddings do you have experience planning?

Destination
Elopement
Eco-Friendly
Military
Non-Religious
Religious

How many planners are on your team?

• Nicole
    Nicole M. Married on 05/22/2022

Couldn't Be Happier!

You should hire Back Patio and never look back! I am so forever grateful for all the help I received from both Kayla and Laura. They are gems and by far the best money we spent on our wedding (ok, maybe tied with our amazing photographer).

I hired Back Patio for their month of services. Compared to most other planners, Back Patio has some of the lowest prices I could find for month of planning. So, it came as a shock when their services actually began nearly a year before my wedding. I met with Laura at least 4-5 times (often for over an hour) BEFORE the month of my wedding.Additionally, Laura went to a venue walk through 3 months prior to my wedding. Laura provided me with such great recommendations, including finding a florist in my budget (which was pretty difficult to find and that florist turned out to be astonishingly amazing).

Laura also took over the reins of coordinating my vendors. I had some issues with my venue/park coordinator and Laura, knowing how frustrated I was, completely took over those communications for me (again, months before what we had contracted for). Laura is easily the most organized person I've ever met; she laid out every single aspect of our wedding minute by minute. She made sure that we got everything we wanted out of the day. Truly, Back Patio's customer service is just unmatched. Planning a wedding is stressful, even if you are pretty low-key about the entire event. With Laura and Kayla on my team, I knew I never had to stress. I was able to let go entirely, because I knew that Back Patio would pull everything off for me.

On top of their amazing planning skills and exceptional customer service, Back Patio handled pretty much all of our signage. I was shocked at how little they charge for this! Many items were free for our use because they were already in the Back Patio collection and for our customized pieces we were only charged for the materials (our giant welcome sign ended up costing $40).

Laura was actually 9 months pregnant by the date of our wedding (congratulations on your baby boy!), so by day of our wedding Kayla took over (along with her assistant Diane).
    Our wedding day went off without a hitch. It flowed beautifully and I am sure that wouldn't have been possible without Kayla and Diane. We had a complicated venue with the reception and ceremony being on opposite ends of the Safari Park. I'm sure that less experienced planners would have floundered. Kayla kept us on schedule whilst simultaneously decorating both the ceremony and reception venues. At the end of the night, Back Patio took care of all the clean up.

In addition to their expertise, Laura and Kayla are exactly the types of people you want around on one of the most important days of your life. Laura truly felt like a friend to me by the time our wedding came around. Even though she was approaching her due date, she kept responding to all my questions and emails until the very last second. Kayla is a little ball of energy. She's so happy (but also incredibly professional), it's simply a joy to be around her.

I truly cannot thank Laura and Kayla enough for their incredible work. I simply could not have pulled off our wedding without them.
  • Felicia
    Felicia Married on 03/12/2022

TLDR: Worth every penny. Laura and Kayla are a delight and you should hire them.

Fist off:
    We hired them as day-of coordinators, not as full wedding planners, so I can only speak to the portion of their services we utilized. Though they did provide an excellent recommendation for one of our vendors.

Good Communicators:
    We worked predominantly with Laura, but both respond quickly via email; usually next working day (occasionally same day but I tend to be a late night corresponder). They reached out several times between their date of hire and the event to make sure they had all the correct information, and understood what we wanted of the event. They were very clear on what services they do and do not provide, their requirements for meals and safe working conditions, and the payment schedule.

Good Eye For Decoration:
    Due to a major snafu, we arrived much later than anticipated; Laura and Kayla had to do pretty much all of the set up by themselves without any direction. They did have a floor-plan, but unfortunately the dimensions provided by the venue weren’t accurate and they had to make some executive decisions on where to put the lounge furniture so it made sense and didn’t get in the way. They did a wonderful job and we didn’t make it easy on them. Laura and Kayla turned on and placed an obscene amount of LED candles (at least 150) and fairy lights and pre-lit garlands, added the provided florals to the table garlands, set out the chargers and menus and place cards, and set up the ceremony space (baring the chairs, that was our rental company). They even moved the welcome table and ceremony decorations to the reception space during cocktail hour so we could get more use out of them and more guests could sign the book. Everything was lovely and they worked very hard to make it so. If Laura and Kayla weren’t there to take charge, the whole day would have been about 3 hours behind, and it would have been a disaster.

Problem Solvers:
    During the wedding, they handled most of the problems without needing my input, but for the major snafu the information and the options were presented to me as a clear this or that scenario, so they were off again and handling it without much delay.

Thoughtful: I was panicking before the ceremony, due to the aforementioned snafu. Not only did they keep everything going smoothly for the guests, Laura also found my best friend and sent her to me to calm me down. No one ever mentioned to me later that they noticed anything had gone wrong. They also chased my husband and I down with a snack tray during couples photos, which was much appreciated since I hadn’t eaten yet that day. They both, Laura especially provided a very calming “we got this” energy when I was being pretty emotional/illogical. By the way: I’m sorry, and thank you!

Payment: Accepted credit cards and provided invoices, via Quickbooks. Very easy. We paid in two installments, half when we reserved their services, the remainder the week of the wedding. The cost for their services was very reasonable and I do not regret a cent.

Perks: They offered to make our personalized welcome sign, if we provided them with the materials. We did not utilize this offer, as my sister made our welcome sign, but the table numbers and general signs (pick a seat not a side, table numbers, etc) were lovely; so I’m sure the personalized sign would be equally beautiful. Laura and Kayla generously allowed us to use the general signs along with some décor items (easels, blanket crates) at no extra charge.
    Diane F. Married on 10/09/2021

Best Coordinators to Make Your Wedding Vision Perfect

Back Patio Event Design was hands down a saving grace for our wedding in October of 2021. Laura and Kayla are fantastic to work with. They listen and make sure to fully comprehend what design and aesthetic that you are looking for in your wedding and make sure to make that happen.
    We had less than a year to plan for our wedding, so it was something that we needed to keep up on to get things done.
    Laura was fantastic in helping me keep my sanity and keep me on track when I was looking for vendors and kept coming up against a brick wall with everyone being booked (a lot of re-books from the previous Covid year). She was also fantastic the day of helping to herd my wedding party and keep things going before the wedding.
    Kayla was great in making my vision come to life with how I wanted my venue decorated. She was great at keeping things moving and on time. I give her super props for helping to wrangle 5 little flower girls before the wedding.
    I thank them both so much for making our day perfect.
    I would most definitely recommend anyone having a wedding or event to contact BPED. I will definitely be working with them again.

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2022 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2020 Winner

Pricing

Team

Laura Harrelson
Laura Harrelson
Co-Owner + Lead Event Director

With a passion for live music, fashion, design and organization, I love bringing together creative outings and fun event ideas. Whether I'm planning a night out with my husband and friends to see a live band, or back on the East Coast helping my parents with family gatherings, planning is always at the forefront.

Kayla  Portillo
Kayla Portillo
Co-Owner + Event Director

A childhood full of BBQ's at my grandparents farm, church socials, and regular gatherings with family + friends are some of my fondest memories growing up. Be it an intimate tea party for my daughter or a three day wedding event, all gatherings are dear to my heart. Nothing brings me more joy than bringing people together to celebrate.

La Mesa, California La Mesa, CA, 91942
Location of (Back Patio Event Design)

Other vendors in San Diego for your wedding