Mother of the Bride Dresses! Are you styling your mom?
I have to find a dress for my mom... she is a hip mom...and so far I don't like the "mother of the bride dresses" I've seen. Where can I look? (I tried Macy's and David's Bridal)

ncbride
Married: 02/19/2011
Posted On: Oct 6, 2010 at 10:33 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

32 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Married: 09/18/2011
Reviews: 7
Oct 06, 2010 at 10:36 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
yes i am cause my mom hates to dress up. try local dress shops sometimes they have really great stuff and at great prices too. so good luck!!

Married: 05/21/2010
Reviews: 15
Personally, I don't like telling other people what to wear. My mother actually asked me several times about her outfit and if it was "okay," but all I cared about was that I be the only person in red.

I realize that many people want more say, though. Would you be happy just giving her a color palette and letting her make the final selection?

Married: 08/27/2011
Reviews: 5
i picked my moms dress at davids bridal but i chose a bridesmaid dress for my mother because she is not into the traditional mother of bride dresses and she was having a fit, i dressed her up a little more than usual because she is walking me down teh aisle.

Teapot Bride
Wedding: 10/04/2014
Oct 06, 2010 at 10:37 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Belk has some nice dress choices. They also have a great clearance section if your mom doesn't want to spend a bundle.

I have no idea where to take my mom, but I'm making sure that she's not showing up in a pants suit! Unlike at my sister's wedding.

ncbride
Oct 06, 2010 at 10:39 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@Cabell..my mom puts sooo much faith in my sense of fashion... even when we go shopping.. if she picks something out..and she asks me if I like it and I Say no..she puts it back....she wants me to pick a dress for her....I wish she would do it herself...

Married: 11/13/2010
Reviews: 1
Oct 06, 2010 at 10:39 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Brrittani and I were having the same issue because we both felt the mother of the bride dresses from Davids made me look older and frumpy. She wanted me to have something younger looking. I tried Nordstroms and found one we both loved. My 3 year old Grandson said, "Gamma, you look bootiful!" That settled it, this was my dress.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3127655?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=449

ncbride
Oct 06, 2010 at 10:42 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@Britt's Mom... I like that dress! I wish I could find a long one like.. my mother actually loves that color too!!!! thanks.. I will check Nordstrom

Married: 08/14/2010
Oct 06, 2010 at 10:42 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
my mom picked out her own dress... well she picked out like 8 and then was all wishy washy about it... i swear it took her longer to find a dress than it did for me to find my wedding dress... haha... she didn't like the ones at david's either, they are to matronly... I think she got hers a macy's they had some really really good ones, the one she picked was spighetti strapped with a jacket but she didn't wear the jacket... and it was short... she looked hot! haha... but i would hit up departments stores or stores like banana republic and jcrew...

ncbride
Oct 06, 2010 at 10:43 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I agree... most of these MOB dresses look old and frumpy!...what's it with that?

Married: 07/24/2010
Reviews: 6
Oct 06, 2010 at 10:53 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Mom's need to choose their own dress (attire). You can tell then what color you want the Moms to wear, but not what to wear. I am speaking as someone who was a bride and the MOB.

Here is what I wore for my daughters wedding. The 2nd and 3rd photos are truer to the real color.

The dress is from Nordstrom...now at restoration after my fire, as is my daughters wedding dress. Guess that is one way to get things cleaned! UGH! LOL!

ncbride
Oct 06, 2010 at 11:02 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I wish my mother would look for her own dress... but it would be my decision ultimately... she's also OOT...and will be coming here for my wedding.. I just found this one while searching Nordstrom... I like it.. nice and simple
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2998864?origin=category&resultback=665

Married: 09/25/2010
Oct 06, 2010 at 11:43 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I like what my mom wore- I don't know if it's like anything you'd want your Mom to wear- but with it being a wedding you don't want her to stand out looking 'hip' as in "about to go clubbing" you want her to look formal and respectful. Here is one of me and my parents, so u can see what my mom wore. My mom is next to me wearing the black/white dress/peticoat.

2d Bride ®
Married: 10/06/2009
Reviews: 12
Oct 06, 2010 at 11:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I love that dress, Kali! I'm still waiting to hear whether my son and his FI want the mothers to coordinate, and if so, what exactly they want. Then again, they just chose the venue, less than six months before the date. I figure they will probably get around to thinking about the mothers' dresses the night before or something. ;-)

Married: 06/04/2011
Reviews: 6
Oct 06, 2010 at 11:53 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
That's actually really pretty, ncbride. My mom is picking her own dress...we've been looking for it together, but only because we always do all our shopping together, not because I need to pick it out or "approve" it or anything. I just want her to feel comfortable and beautiful. We went to Macy's bridal salon, which had some nice options, and on Friday we're going to the bridal shop where I got my dress, since they have a decent MOB section. There are so many MOB dresses that are really frumpy or that have sequin covered jackets or beading ALL OVER and that's very not her.

Married: 11/13/2010
Reviews: 1
Oct 07, 2010 at 12:17 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
NCBride that dress is beautiful. Be sure and check the reviews to see what people say about them. Mine said the designer runs small but I still ordered the size I wear. I had to order the next size up so it would be comfortable. The stores don't always carry everything that you see online either so you will probably have to order it online.

Married: 02/03/2012
Reviews: 2
Oct 07, 2010 at 12:29 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
My mom's taste and mine...erm...are not the same. She wears a lot of black t-shirts. But hey...so does my fiance. I'm really just going to be glad she's there. If any of the moms (FIVE--mine, her wife, my dad's GF, FS's mom, and FS's stepmom) want suggestions, I'm happy to point them toward a color.

2d Bride ®
Married: 10/06/2009
Reviews: 12
Oct 07, 2010 at 12:32 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
@ Recovering Bride: At my own first wedding, I had enough trouble coordinating two moms! My MIL wanted to find out what my mother would be wearing, so she could coordinate. My mother's attitude was along the lines of, "Well, I'll just see what is clean when I get up that morning." It took quite a while to get MIL to realize that she just needed to wear something nice, not to coordinate with anyone--and indeed that coordination was impossible. I don't even want to think about trying to coordinate FIVE moms!

Married: 07/01/2012
Oct 07, 2010 at 12:44 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I am picking up the tab for my mom's dress. I want her in something more formal than what she normally wears. My biggest problem is she hides her feelings and says every thing is "fine". Then she complains to someone else. I am actually planning on taking her preliminary shopping in the next couple weeks maybe we might get a summer dress on clearance for my wedding next year.@Kathy and 2d bride I understand what your saying but I know what my mom would pick on her own. Its not what I want as far as how formal my wedding is. All the parents have say in what they are wearing I more or less guiding my Mom on the formality of what she needs.

Married: 09/10/2011
Reviews: 8
Oct 07, 2010 at 3:47 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
DB's MOB dresses really are horrific...I have only done 'window shopping' up to now, but Nordy's and JC Penney had several that would be nice...but haven't tried anything on so that's a whole different consideration...Courtney will let me wear what ever I want as long as it looks nice, but I will be the one who will make sure it 'goes'...kinda excited :)

Married: 06/10/1978
Oct 07, 2010 at 8:37 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I WISH my daughter would tell me which dress or color she likes best for me. We shop together but I can sense that she wants me to make the final selection. Being a plus size, I want to wear what looks best, appropriate and is comfortable in a color that compliments the bridal party. I'm not looking for attention, I tend to like blending in.
Please support your Mom in her choices and make shopping for a dress a fun and happy event, creating a wonderful, priceless memory!
Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Topics

Vow of Conduct