Help! Wedding on a budget!
I am currently in a hurried frenzy of trying to find a ceremony and reception venue that meets my budget! I am have 50-75 guests and I don't care the location! Illinois, Indiana, St Louis, ect. I do NOT want to spend over 5000 dollars at the very most for ceremony rental, reception rental, food, cake and open bar. The cheaper the better.
I keep finding places that I like, but then something is wrong with them. For example, found a nice outdoor wedding (what I want) site that is really cheap and in some cute canyons, but the reception area isn't the greatest, they DONT offer an open bar unless you want to pay for consumption AFTER the wedding. And I don't want that weight on my chest on my day.
Here are some things to keep in mind, I DO want an outdoor ceremony, I DONT care if the reception is at the same location or a different location in somewhat of the same area and it can be indoors, that may actually even be preferred. I want something nice. So please help! My head hurts!

Married: 05/26/2013
Posted On: Sep 26, 2012 at 5:46 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate0 likes

22 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Gee O. aka Happily Wifed Up
Married: 06/24/2012
Reviews: 2
Sep 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Hey Alissa!
Welcome to WW!
That budget is definitely doable at least here in Illinois where I am. Have you looked at places in Illinois yet? Where did you look? In budget weddings the $$ savers i think of are
day of the week,
time of the day,
alcohol serving,
same location for reception/ceremony
type of food to be served
and stuff like these. have you thought of these areas? Like me I had it all in the hotel to save money, had it on a sunday and had no alcohol but sparkling wine. Those were the ways i saved here in illinois
Edited On: Sep 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I am having it on a Sunday for the most savings. I haven't picked a date yet to keep my options open, I would like an open bar preferably and a nice selection of food.
I've considered having it in the afternoon but some of the places I've looked, I'm not saving all that much! D:
I've looked everywhere, but I'm sure there's places I've missed/haven't seen/over looked. So if you have any ideas on venues, let me know!

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Also, I really want an outdoor ceremony! That's my one thing that may just be my "must have".
The problem I seem to be having is minimums. A lot of the places I've been looking have a 100 person or more minimum! And I only want 50-75 people there. I need to look smaller intimate wedding venues, but all I seem to find are huge venues. I just don't know where to look!
Edited On: Sep 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Married: 08/10/2013
Reviews: 4
Sep 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Are you open to DIY? Or are you trying to find an all-inclusive venue?

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm somewhat open to DIY, depending on what I'd have to do myself! I'm already planning on making invitations and my sister (who is a photographer) is doing my wedding photos for free. I would much rather have an all inclusive venue but at this point I'm open to look at anything!

Married: 06/16/2012
Reviews: 3
Sep 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Have you looked at wedding channel's venue finding tool? Its really, really useful. You can sort by amount of people it hold, etc.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:34 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Wedding wire's search venue? I have, I'm not sure if I searched for amount of people or not. I've just clicked on basically everything that came up. Haha. :) But, I'll check again for sure.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:34 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Consider alternatives for usual big ticket items. Dress- try recycled bride or Craigs list.

Stationary, VP all the way.Please read this. It has a lot of info that will help save you money.

http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding/UserViewProfile?wid=9716d40b8ab94642

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Alissa, not wedding wire's wedding channel's.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Oh hmm, I'm not sure if I've checked there or not, but I'm pretty sure I have. I feel like I've checked everywhere! Also, I already have my dress, that's the one thing my family paid for. So I don't have to calculate that into the cost, thankfully. The only things I'm really worried about are the ceremony and reception venue along with the other stuff that comes along with it! (bar service, food, linens, napkins, cake, ect.)

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
which venue have you found so far?

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
The ones I'm seriously looking into SO FAR are, Odyssey Country Club ( a bit expensive), White Pines Inn and Resort (no open bar), Garden Terrace (This one is ok, still kinda expensive) , William Tell (no ceremony), Astoria Banquets (no ceremony). I'd like to find a great place that I fall in love with that doesn't have a catch! Or find an amazing ceremony venue that goes along with the reception only places. I really like Silver Lake Country Club too but I'm waiting for an email from them.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:09 PM • Flag As Inappropriate

Married: 08/10/2013
Reviews: 4
Sep 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Do you have theme? Or type of venue you're looking for?

I'm getting married in Chicago-land and have looked at a lot of venues in the area. By DIY, I mean getting things a la carte. For example, our venue has tables and chairs, but we're bringing our own alcohol, our own caterer, our own DJ, our own table linens, etc.

If you hire a day-of coordinator (which, based on your wedding size, should definitely be possible), he/she can coordinate all the vendors on the wedding day.
Edited On: Sep 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM

MJ
Married: 06/01/2013
Sep 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
starved rock lodge, starved rock utica illinois.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:25 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Well yeah, most of the places Im looking at dont include a dj. So I'll have to hire one of my own. I'd rather have a place that caters their own food, and has table linens and napkins, I can make my own center pieces. And I think my grandma is doing all of my flowers.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:57 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Starved Rock Lodge is pretty! I'm waiting on some information from them. :) If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to give them a look! I haven't seen either of the places suggested here previously. So it's a nice change. :)

Married: 03/14/2014
Sep 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are saving a lot of money by 1. Cut that guest list (I know..I didnt want to at first but in the end...I cut with no mercy!) 2. move it out of town. We are booking a venue in the GA mountains and it is SO much cheaper then where I live.
Try looking at state parks and vacation rentals. We rented a cabin to host our under 30 # party but there were some that could have held 60 or so.
Also try any recreation or city centers. Sometimes you can find really nice venues and can hire in all your own vendors. Since they don't specialize in weddings they are often cheaper.

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:39 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks for pointing out Starved Rock to me! It looks amazing! I am waiting eagerly for a response from them! The menu prices are definitely do-able. I just have to hope that there isn't a super high price for rental fees, taxes, ect. I hope it works out. This is the one I'm definitely looking into!

Married: 05/19/2012
Sep 27, 2012 at 5:16 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm living in St. Louis right now. We got married at Alpine Park and Gardens in Columbia, MO. They have an outdoor amphitheater for the ceremony and a covered pavilion for the reception. I think they would be about your price range for that small of a group. They can basically customize a package to whatever your needs are. They can do the catering for you, or you can hire your own caterer. We went with their catering, and it was delicious. If you wanted to go a little cheaper, HyVee has very reasonable price. Alpine can provide all of the linens. As far as the open bar goes, they actually charge a flat fee for the bartenders/cups/ice/non-alcoholic drinks and mixers and you provide the alcohol. We bought ours from Costco, which was great because we were able to return all the unopened bottles. The Costco brand is Kirkland, and all of the Kirkland brand alcohol was VERY good quality.

Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Topics

Vow of Conduct