Maggie
Champion October 2025

Which came first: your wedding date or your venue?

Maggie, on December 11, 2018 at 11:05 AM

Posted in Planning 129

When you first start planning your wedding, there are two major questions to answer: when and where are you going to tie the knot? For some people the wedding date is the most important decision (whether it’s a date with special significance or the only date everyone is available), other couples...

When you first start planning your wedding, there are two major questions to answer: when and where are you going to tie the knot? For some people the wedding date is the most important decision (whether it’s a date with special significance or the only date everyone is available), other couples wait to see their dream venue’s availability and then set the date!

Which decision came first for you? Your wedding date or your venue?

cfb_1178219.jpg

Photo from Winding Creek Farm in Virginia

Next Question: Which came first: setting your budget or your guest list?

Back to the Beginning: Which came first?

129 Comments

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Compromising in action! I like it, Beverly!! So what day are you getting married on, Saturday or Sunday?

• Beverly
    Beginner October 2021
    Beverly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ha! We are getting married on a Saturday. :-)

• Alyssa
    Super July 2019
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    A bit of both... we picked our wedding date based off the first venue we visited but we ended up not going with that venue. We stuck with the date when looking at other venues so we ended up booking our venue for that original date.
  • Laura
    Master October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

The date. Hoping the venue will still be available once I have the money to get it

• Kristin
    Just Said Yes August 2019
    Kristin ·
    • Flag

The wedding date for sure. Even before we were formally engaged.

My mother recently passed away and we are getting married on what would have been my parents' 50th anniversary. It's our way of honoring the wonderful marriage my parents had and starting it off with some good juju.

• Megan
    Dedicated September 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    Totally the date first! Our date is 8 years to the day that we told each other that we liked each other (not love- we don't remember that date! Lol, go figure!). September 21, 2019 is barely more than 9 months away and I'm so excited I get to marry my best friend and college sweetheart!
  • Heather
    Savvy September 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag
    We thought we picked the date right away (our 9th anniversary), but like a ton of other people we found our perfect venue and now are thinking of changing the date to the advantage of some of the seasonal amenities near the venue!
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Venue! Our first choice date got booked while we were negotiating... almost a year in advance. Once we agreed on price, we locked down a date the week before (turned out to be spring equinox, even better!). Our dream venue was #1 to both of us. ❤️
  • Future Mrs. K
    VIP June 2019
    Future Mrs. K ·
    • Flag
    Out venue! We knew the month and year we wanted but we just kicked a date our venue had open in that time frame
  • J
    Dedicated December 2018
    Jack ·
    • Flag

Technically the date. We weren't dead-set on that date - it held no special significance, but we decided to keep it around Xmas / NYE because it was when the most people from different parts of the world would be able to make it. We were willing to shuffle it to a nearby date if it was unavailable, but thankfully our #1 venue was available on the date!

• E
    Devoted October 2019
    emjo ·
    • Flag

We loved a venue and wanted to hold a date, so we came up with one randomly... we knew we wanted autumn so we chose exactly a year from when we toured the venue.

• Becca
    Super August 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag
    Picked the venue first....well almost....still in that process Smiley smile making final decisions this weekend. We had a three month range that we were looking at though to give us a good amount of dates to choose from at different venues
  • Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

My heart! Smiley heart What an incredible way to honor your mother! I think it will start your marriage off on the right foot, Kristin! Smiley smile

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Seasonal amenities? Do you mean like ski lifts or ice skating rinks or something like that, Heather? Is your perfect venue not available on your date or are you thinking it might be a better deal all together if you moved it?

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think that gives you a sense of how long your countdown is though, emjo. I think that's a really smart move!

• Heather
    Savvy September 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Our venue is actually on the state fairgrounds, and they start stocking the fish ponds and ornamental stuff in the summer, so our guests would be able to walk around the fairgrounds and enjoy the setting if we go with a date in the summer versus late fall when everything is locked up and not as cool to see. "Seasonal amenities" was the quickest way I could think of describing that, lol. They do have our original date available; we just think it might be more fun if we look at a date that takes advantage of the cool location.
  • kymarmck
    Super March 2020
    kymarmck ·
    • Flag

The date! We wanted a meaningful date so we didn't even look at venues until we knew what day we wanted! Thankfully we booked everything so far in advance so we got all of our vendors for the date we wanted!

• Kaitlyn
    Dedicated September 2019
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Flag

We fell in love with our venue and they only had two dates left for fall 2019, so we picked the date we liked best of the two available!

• Shana
    Dedicated October 2019
    Shana ·
    • Flag
    Our wedding date: Halloween 2019
  • E
    Beginner April 2020
    emily ·
    • Flag
    At first,we were sure we wanted our wedding date to be on our anniversary.But after looking at venues and comparing costs,we realized it was so expensive to get married in June! For us,our budget is more important than the actual dateSmiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics