emcknight1517
Super April 2018

When are you eating your top tier?

emcknight1517, on July 12, 2018 at 11:35 AM Posted in Married Life 0 47
Saved Save

Last night my DH, my parents, my brother, and I ate our top tier (DH parents couldn't join us). We had gotten most of our wedding photos back (Pro BAM coming soon I hope) and wanted to have a celebration now because the thought of one year old cake weirded me out a bit. It had been about two and a half months from the wedding day. We had kept the cake at my parents house due to a move so my mom thawed it out the day before in the fridge and then let it hang out on the counter to warm up more. It was delicious and possibly more moist after being frozen than it was on our wedding day. (I forgot to take photos of the inside, but it was a Reese's filling.)

For those who decided to save their top tier, when do you plan on eating it? Are you going traditional and waiting for your one year anniversary? Do you have another milestone you plan on waiting for? What flavor is your top tier?

When are you eating your top tier? 1

47 Comments

• N
    Expert October 2018
    Nicole ·
    We haven't decided, not sure about keeping it for a year yet. Lol supposedly it can keep! I'm really curious what is a Reeses filling??
  • emcknight1517
    Super April 2018
    emcknight1517 ·
    View Quoted Comment

I've heard from people that it definitely can keep for a year if you wrap it up correctly. We had peanut butter mousse and chocolate ganache filling like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·

We are just getting a cutting cake for pictures, then doing a dessert bar. For our one year anniversary, I'll just have the bakery remake our cutting cake and pick it up so we don't have to store it!

• N
    Expert October 2018
    Nicole ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yum! That filling sounds amazing! I don't think I would have been able to wait lol
  • emcknight1517
    Super April 2018
    emcknight1517 ·
    View Quoted Comment

Oh nice! That's a great option. We wanted a donut bar but our cake came with the venue so that's what we went with.

• KarenO
    Master June 2018
    KarenO ·

We are planning to save it for the year. I've heard people on here do it successfully and have it turn out great. Our layer was wrapped up in the refrigerator for about a week while we went on our honeymoon, then I wrapped it up in 3 layers of plastic wrap, 2 layers of foil and a freezer bag to freeze it. Hope it works!

I heard our cake was amazing. H and I only got the single bites that we ate during the cutting and most of my immediate family didn't get any at all, unfortunately.

• Jen
    Super May 2018
    Jen ·

We ate our top tier on our 1 month "anniversary". I also didn't like the idea of year old cake. We had red velvet cake with cream cheese filling so for our anniversary next year we will probably get red velvet cupcakes to celebrate with.

• emcknight1517
    Super April 2018
    emcknight1517 ·
    View Quoted Comment

That sounds nice and airtight. I think it'll work.

Sorry to hear that. What flavor did you guys have?

• emcknight1517
    Super April 2018
    emcknight1517 ·
    View Quoted Comment

That's a great idea!

• KarenO
    Master June 2018
    KarenO ·
    View Quoted Comment

Our top layer (and bottom layer) was supposed to be vanilla/raspberry swirl, though I couldn't tell with it all being covered in buttercream icing. Our other layers were vanilla chocolate chip and a small layer of plain pound cake. We went very traditional.

• Mrs. Mecking
    Expert August 2018
    Mrs. Mecking ·
    We are are only doing a top tier for the wedding. We will do the normal cut the cake photos and that’s it. We really aren’t cake people.
  • emcknight1517
    Super April 2018
    emcknight1517 ·
    View Quoted Comment

Those all sound sooo good!

• Jen
    VIP July 2018
    Jen ·

We are serving our top tier at the wedding. Our baker offers a free top tier as a 1 year anniversary gift so we'll get a fresh one a year later!

• emcknight1517
    Super April 2018
    emcknight1517 ·
    View Quoted Comment

That's a fantastic deal. My baker charges $50 for an anniversary cake so we're likely not going to order one (at least not from him).

• Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·

No yuck! My first wedding we did this and it was awful! I would never eat anything frozen for a year....ps. I own a bakery lol! I think it's all mental I am sure they taste great but I just can't do it. Go for the fresh one if you can to celebrate.

• E
    Devoted May 2019
    Elizabeth ·
    We're cutting our top tier at the wedding and serving cupcakes to the guests.
  • alexisdemetra
    Devoted November 2018
    alexisdemetra ·

Your cake topper is so adorable! Where did you get it?

• emcknight1517
    Super April 2018
    emcknight1517 ·
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! ArtificeProducciones on Etsy.

• alexisdemetra
    Devoted November 2018
    alexisdemetra ·
    View Quoted Comment

WOAH! I've been looking for a custom clay cake topper for months and couldn't find any under $300. Thank you so much!!

• emcknight1517
    Super April 2018
    emcknight1517 ·
    View Quoted Comment

No problem If you go with her, order sooner rather than later.

Comment on this discussion