The Bride
Master March 2019

What Is The Age Gap Between You And Your Partner?

The Bride, on July 20, 2019 at 10:01 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 44
Saved Save

My husband and I are 7 years apart and he is the oldest. Besides the fact that my husband and my older sister are the same age, our age difference has never been a problem in our relationship. I actually wouldn't even consider that a problem but it was just weird when I introduced him to my sister, lol. The best part about our age difference is how similar and yet different we are. I grew up in the 90's and he grew up in the 80's so our life experiences are not always the same but they are similar. I love that he can teach me different things and he loves my light-hearted perspective on life.

What is the age gap between you and your partner? Who is the oldest? Has the age difference ever been a problem in your relationship? What is the best part about the age difference in your relationship?

What Is The Age Gap Between You And Your Partner? 1

44 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    I’m 4 months older than my FW. I don’t think our age has any positive or negative impact on our relationship.
  • Wendy
    Rockstar August 2020
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    We are only a year apart... but my parents were (they separated and remarried) 11yrs apart!!! My mom would always tell me funny stories about their age differences... and she says “age is nothing but a number that love doesn’t recognize”!!! Love it!!
  • The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It's really nice that you two are so close in age. Do you tend to bond over similar childhood stories and memories?

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Smiley surprise 11 years apart! So cool. I agree with her quote. Smiley love

• Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I'm older by a little more than two years.
    He's exactly six months younger than my sister! Which is funny because he's the oldest of his siblings and cousins and my sister is the youngest.
    We end up in a similar situation like you and your husband where I'm old enough to remember the 90s and he really isn't. He hadn't ever seen a tape deck until he got in my car! 🤣
    It's just awkward at family functions because all his cousins are in the middle of college or in high school and all mine are long done with it so we're in the in between space.
    Good news is him and my sister are peas in pod together.
  • The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's so funny Smiley xd My husband and my sister are really cool now. It's nice to see them engage with each other and accept each other as family.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    We have a four year age difference. He is the older one
  • The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Has the age difference ever been a problem in your relationship? What is the best part about the age difference in your relationship?

• Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag
    We're only two years apart. I think upbringing was the bigger gap to overcome.
  • The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Can you elaborate on the upbringing differences?

• Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    He lived in suburbian; same town and house, his entire life. I had moved a lot with a fairly unstable home. This created a lot of miscommunication in our younger years.
  • The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh, I see. Thanks for sharing.

• Megan
    Expert May 2021
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    I'm only 13 days older than my fh, I think it's so funny how similar and different when we are both gemini.
  • Lisa
    Devoted October 2020
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I am older by four months. Our age gap does not affect our relationship in a positive or negative way.
  • The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's really interesting. How are you two similar and different?

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you for sharing.

• Samantha
    Super August 2019
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    My fiancé is 9 years older than me. I’d say for the most part it doesn’t impact the relationship at all. Sometimes he references things or makes quips about me being a millennial but I quip back about his grey hair. It’s a back and forth comedy. It does kind of impact our views on finances because he’s now in a don’t spend and save everything mindset and I just started making good money in my job and our joint business is taking off, and I enjoying going out and doing things and sometimes getting myself a nice treat. Generally, we don’t make a big deal about the age - more often than not it’s other people that find it “interesting” , but I don’t think age is as big of a deal as people make it.
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    I am 6 years older than my new husband. He doesn’t seem to care and it doesn’t bother me.
  • Alisha
    Super August 2020
    Alisha ·
    • Flag

My future husband and I are two years apart. He is older. We are similar when it comes to families, work and growing up in the cities. We are different when it comes to upbringing and experiences but it is a good thing. It is a good thing to have similarities and differences because we can have good conversations about our experiences and we get a chance to learn about one another.

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

I'm 15 years older than my wife. She actually has a little sister who is in between my kids' ages.

It's occasionally a little weird, like when she and my kids gang up on me to tell me I was born before the dawn of time. And I can see it being a bit of an issue if I'm ready to retire, and she still has a long way to go. (Although since I'm hoping to keep working until I'm 75, she may end up retiring about when I do.) However, there is no couple without some differences. She and I are enough on the same page about other things that this is not a deal-breaker.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics