Mr. & Mrs. C
Super March 2016

What back handed comps have you gotten?

Mr. & Mrs. C, on December 3, 2014 at 5:46 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 73
Saved Save

You know when people say stuff that is really insulting but they pretend to mean it as a compliment?

Here's a recent one: "Well at least you look pretty in your pictures so you don't have to worry about losing alot of weight"

Uhhh gee thanks for letting me know that i'm completely gross looking in real life but it's okay because my pictures lie?

Please share yoursSmiley smile

73 Comments

• MrsMorales
    VIP September 2015
    MrsMorales ·
    • Flag

FH is Puerto Rican and last name is Morales (obvi). I have a pretty common, ethnically ambiguous last name. I've been asked more than once "oh, are you going to take his last name...its very "ethnic"". Ummmmmmm yes, I am...Frickin racist Arizona people.

• Cheri
    VIP September 2015
    Cheri ·
    • Flag

I was recently told "you were so pretty when you were younger" hmmm I guess I grew uglier as I aged look out I'm going to be a hag by the time I retire I guess.

• Ally
    VIP October 2014
    Ally ·
    • Flag

Lol i had jury duty last month and the guy that i was paying for parking took my debit card (which has my picture on it) and was like "how old are you in this picture?" and i was like oh that was a really long time ago. and he was like "you look really good in this picture. i mean you look nice now too but you looked really good!"

i was like ....thanks? gosh i've had a bunch more but that one jumps out at me lol

• Mr. & Mrs. C
    Super March 2016
    Mr. & Mrs. C ·
    • Flag

@MrsMoralesToBe-How funny one of my friends just asked me this the other day. I didn't know what she was expecting to hear as that isn't a normal convo lol

@Cheri LOL I get the "you used to be so skinny bet you wish you could go back to when you thought you were fat" like how the hell are you going to tlll that to someone?

• Mr. & Mrs. C
    Super March 2016
    Mr. & Mrs. C ·
    • Flag

@ally lol I guess when people notice a diff in appearance they just can't help but notice. I'm guilty of it.

• Northern MN
    Master November 2014
    Northern MN ·
    • Flag

My mom likes to tell me what a pretty face I have...lol which is her saying that I am lovely but would be so much prettier if I was skinnier. Smiley smile

• Mr. & Mrs. C
    Super March 2016
    Mr. & Mrs. C ·
    • Flag

Northern MN, I think thats the compliment that all fat girls get. I hear it daily:/

The reason I'm not skinny is because it would be unfair to the ugly skinny girls of the world lol jk it's cuz i like food

• Alicia
    VIP July 2016
    Alicia ·
    • Flag

I get that I look better in pictures too.. Like thanks I guess I look like a dog in person? haha

• Northern MN
    Master November 2014
    Northern MN ·
    • Flag

Mr. & Mrs. Chavarin (yep your right...most fat girls here this I am sure) I totally had all this intention to loose some weight before the wedding...but turns out I prefer food over being skinny lol. And I am fine with that. For all of those girls worrying about that...just pick out a dress that you look so good in it doesn't matter. I am never going to look like a skinny bride but I sure felt stunning the day of the wedding!

• Lennox
    Super May 2015
    Lennox ·
    • Flag

Honestly I give her props for this one. My FH's ex girlfriend (who is much bustier then I am) happened to be at the same wedding as us.

"You are so lucky that you can wear strapless dresses. My boobs are just too big"

This girl had proactively tried to get FH back for herself (even though we started dating months after they broke up. I guess she had dreams he would remember how amazing she was and go back to her).

• Northern MN
    Master November 2014
    Northern MN ·
    • Flag

Lennox lol actually that is something I would say but not in a mean way...totally jealous of ladies that can walk around in life with out a bra.

But she sounds creepy.

• OG Mrs.K (2.0)
    Master September 2014
    OG Mrs.K (2.0) ·
    • Flag

I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I do find it funny when people choose whether or not to card me. If I'm by myself, I get carded a LOT. But when I'm with the hubby, I never get carded. Not sure if that's more of a back handed gesture for me or for him...LOL!

• Alyssa
    Master April 2015
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag

"You would have such pretty skin without all those tattoos." -______-

• Tracy
    VIP February 2015
    Tracy ·
    • Flag

When I showed a picture of me in my wedding dress to my aunt she said: "That's such a flattering dress!" So, it makes me look less fat? Thanks. I was hoping for something like: "You look beautiful!"

• Lara
    Master July 2015
    Lara ·
    • Flag

Wedding-related, today when I was buying my bra, you're not going to lose 100lbs, are you? I was also recently asked, why are you having a wedding? Couldn't you spend the money better elsewhere?

ETA come to think of it, those aren't back handed compliments, they are insults.

• B
    Master December 2015
    BunnyLove ·
    • Flag

We were in NOLA for Thanksgiving. One of FH's aunt (she's extremely fair skinned) told me "You're pretty (long pause) for a dark skinned girl."

• ValZtoB
    Master March 2015
    ValZtoB ·
    • Flag

I'm not your typical looking fitness instructor. I've seen the looks on the faces of new participants to the class when they ask me who the instructor is and I say me. I have had more than one tell me after a class that it was much more challenging than they thought it would be. Oh, I'm sorry...did the thick chick just kick your ass? Uh yes, yes she did.

• Andrea
    Expert May 2015
    Andrea ·
    • Flag

My sisters are very good at the "your so pretty, if you tried *insert diet* you would feel so much better though*

If I'm so pretty why do I need to loose weight??

• Kendra
    Super May 2015
    Kendra ·
    • Flag

I've had several people come up to me after the first few days of a semester and say something along the lines of "I wasn't expecting you to have so much to say. You had some really good points."

So it surprised you that I'm smart? How dumb do I look? Is it because I'm a woman? Or because I'm 5' tall and smiley and you think I'm a child?

• Dani
    Super December 2014
    Dani ·
    • Flag

@Mrs Chavarin LOL i just died laughing reading this:

"The reason I'm not skinny is because it would be unfair to the ugly skinny girls of the world lol jk it's cuz i like food"

Love me some food! Honestly what Northern MM said is straight on. Wedding dresses flatter everyone just find yours and be happy no matter what the scale says.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics