Heidi14
Expert July 2010

Registering

Heidi14, on October 29, 2009 at 1:53 PM Posted in Planning 0 10
Saved Save

When is everybody registering? Like how far in advance? I was going to wait until January which is 6 months before the wedding. But my FMIL keeps asking us when we are going to register and if we are going to do it before Christmas etc. So people can get some gifts for X-mas. Isn't that a bit early? I don't know if we will have time to do it in the next month or two.

10 Comments

• Tracey
    Super May 2011
    Tracey ·
    • Flag

I've already started putting registries together and I have over a year and a half. Just remember that seasonal stuff won't be available but it's never too soon to get the basics down!

• Lauralee
    Dedicated January 2010
    Lauralee ·
    • Flag

I registered 9 months before my wedding! I dont think it is too early.

• Soon-2-B-MrsBurke
    Super May 2011
    Soon-2-B-MrsBurke ·
    • Flag

I am doing this weekend also but that is because I get a free $75 gift card and no one has to buy to get it. All I have to do is at least add 5 items to each registries 3 in total $25 each.

• kt
    Dedicated November 2009
    kt ·
    • Flag

We did our's probly 6 months before the wedding. Just keep in mind that some stuff can be discontinued once people go to buy you a gift. My FH really wanted this crystal decanter set at bed bath and beyond, it was one of the only things he actually picked out, and when my mom told me to go get it for his birthday in September it was discontinued at every store. She finally had to get it off Amazon and it was more expensive.

• The Potters
    Master September 2009
    The Potters ·
    • Flag

I don't think it is too early. We only had 7 months between engagement and wedding, and we did ours with about 4 months to go. But I think you should do it before all your showers, if you're having them, so people can get you things for that. And some people like to shop early before everything gets bought up.

• Gidge22
    Super April 2010
    Gidge22 ·
    • Flag

We did our a few weeks ago at the 5 1/2 month to go mark! I didn't want to do it too early because I didn't want things to be out of stock when people actually started to buy things. We registered at Bed Bath and Beyond and Target. It was fun! =)

• Angela Reed
    February 2020
    Angela Reed ·
    • Flag

Hello and Congrats! It's not too early it's actually perfect timing that will be one less thing you have to do in the coming months and it'll give you time to add or delete. Your FMIL might be asking when you're going to register because folks are asking her. I have found that people buy all occasion gifts when they Christmas shop(or in the gift giving spirit) lol. Hope this helps and good luck!

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·
    • Flag

I already registered, reason is, for something to do LOL, also, this way if I end up thinking of things along the way, I can just add to it, one less thing to worry about Smiley smile

• Heidi14
    Expert July 2010
    Heidi14 ·
    • Flag

Thanks ladies. Well I have heard about stuff getting discontinued and my FH is really busy the next couple months so I don't think we will have time but maybe I will register for a few items earlier to make those early shoppers happy. I can always register for most of the other stuff later in a few more months.

• M
    Super November 2012
    mayo ·
    • Flag

I already have one going on with few items here and there I may add, but I know things will change over the next year and a half....but I'd be happy to pick things that may be pricey now and go on discount later..I don't mind things being discounted... I rather have my friends and family buy cheap especially if it is something on my list. I think of a registery more of an idea type thing. I will choose Item A at PLACE A but if they find this item way cheaper at PLACE C then great :-d

but I'll probally make my registery more public--known to friends and family about 9months to a year before hand...

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics