Weddingbliss
VIP July 2014

please help!

Weddingbliss, on June 20, 2014 at 10:08 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 42
Saved Save

Look I have on complaint about michigan, I have a total of 34 mosquito bites. My whole body itches and I've tried bug repellent and it does not work! My wedding is so close by with all these bites on my back and arms I'm going to look crazy, I also have bites on my legs and butt! Does anyone know know a better way to keep them off it is driving me crazy plus they itch like hell!

42 Comments

• michele
    VIP October 2014
    michele ·

I heard putting a warm spoon on them helps with the itching. Try calamine lotion maybe?

• Fit Bride
    VIP August 2014
    Fit Bride ·

I heard fabric softeners keep mosquitos away.

• MichiganBride104
    VIP October 2014
    MichiganBride104 ·

Welcome to Michigan . The Mosquitos are horrible this year. It sucks! Just make sure you don't have a sweet smelling perfume on, that usually attracts them more. Depending on where you are at when you are getting these, using the 'back woods' repellent usually helps. It's a lot stronger. I feel your pain, I hate the damn things!

• T.
    Master November 2013
    T. ·

My husband's aunt works for Avon and gave me a sample of their bug repellent wipes to use. It's the best thing I've EVER used.

http://shop.avon.com/product.aspx?level2_id=303&pdept_id=344&dept_id=421&cat_type=B&pf_id=33985

• kristenann
    Master October 2014
    kristenann ·

Have you tried those bug repellent wrist bands? I have also heard to keep dryer sheets in your packets. (I've never tried it though)

• WalkerGirl
    Super August 2014
    WalkerGirl ·

Sounds crazy, but if you use your fingernail and "x" the bite, the itching stops... but then you might look just as crazy with 34 x's on your back

• M
    VIP April 2014
    Mrs. Courtney Baytop ·

Idon't have any advice on preventing them but I can offer some on how to cope. To calm itching and redness rub deodorant over the bug bites and don't scratch.

As soon as you feel a bite take a cold shower immediately and that seems to help them going any further.

• DisneyNut
    Master October 2014
    DisneyNut ·

Deep Woods Off with Deet is the only thing that works for my son (yes I know the Deet is bad) and he is HIGHLY allergic to them. One bite swells to to the size of a silver dollar.

• LG
    Master October 2014
    LG ·

Deet.

Buy a bug spray that has a high deet level.

Disclaimer: I think its known in the state of California to potentially cause cancer. Much like Cadmium in paint.

• Maltese
    Master June 2015
    Maltese ·

Avon Skin So Soft works best...usually they aren't THIS bad. Also, coconut oil has always been productive with skeeter bites. FH and I use it when we are in the Tropics. How are the fish flies treating you??? You got here right as they were getting started.

• tnovak
    Super August 2014
    tnovak ·

Put vinegar on the bites, (it is great for chiggers too) eases the itching without drying your skin.

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Mosquito-Bites-from-Itching

• Kasheena
    Super October 2014
    Kasheena ·

Deet! I grew up in a town surrounded by rice fields so, the mosquitoes were horrible. Deet is the only thing that worked for me. God I hate mosquitoes!

• Weddingbliss
    VIP July 2014
    Weddingbliss ·

Thanks ladies! The bug repellent I have has 15% feet should I get a stronger one? I am going to try everything you guys said to try I am desperate!

@maltese the fish Flys are horrible! They are so weird looking. How much longer until the mosquitos go away or are they never going to die down?

• FutureMrsForbes
    Super August 2014
    FutureMrsForbes ·

They are super bad this year!!! It was the hundreds of inches of snow we got this year!! Gotta go for the deep woods off, it's the only stuff that works.

And the X thing works for the itching and so does witch hazel!

• Shellyq7
    Dedicated August 2014
    Shellyq7 ·

I second anyone that says DEET. 100% deet. You can usually find it in the camping section of Walmart/Meijer, etc. As a frequent camper and backpacker, it is the only thing that I've found that works for any length of time. The bugs are terrible here this year! It's not usually quite this bad.

• M
    Master August 2014
    Miss S. ·

Growing up my grandma would always press a fresh cut onion slice on the mosquito bite. It did wonders but you smell a little like onions, lol.

• Kaesey
    Super August 2014
    Kaesey ·

Wedding bliss didn't you just move there? Maybe the eyes can smell fresh meat . Anyway in all seriousness I don't have to deal with mosquitos too much but when I have hives - they are itchy and painful I get spray able benedryl it helps and i have noticed some have lidocaine in them. Also take oatmeal bath. Go get aveeno oatmeal body wash it soothes

• Maltese
    Master June 2015
    Maltese ·

LMAO @weddingbliss! Just be sure to keep your outdoor lights off and curtains/blinds closed at night to keep the fish flies away (I live right on a canal and we can't even use the backyard right now!), those should be going away in a week or two...they come and go in waves but are completely done by mid July, usually a bit sooner.

As for the mosquitos, who knows...we've been having so much rain lately and with all the snow we had over the winter, the ground really hasnt been able to dry, creating a play ground for them, so its hard to tell, I dont really get bit, so I didn't even realize how bad they were until last week or so when I saw some friends covered in bites!

• LG
    Master October 2014
    LG ·

I think we use 45% deet. The higher the deet, the more effective it is.

I would use the lowest percentage you can get away with though.

• T-Rex
    Master August 2013
    T-Rex ·

I live in Houston, where mosquitos are practically our mascot.

Off bug spray works wonders, but smells weird. Avon skin-so-soft is amazing. Lavender essential oil is also a lifesaver (and is soothing/relaxing also!) - mix some lavender oil with some water and a bit of vodka (small bit) and you have a good repellant.

Also, dab lavender on the bite themselves to soothe them. Don't scratch/pick at them!

Comment on this discussion