Skip to main content
Allie
Master August 2019

Planning milestones- First vendor!

Allie, on July 8, 2019 at 3:31 PM Posted in Planning 1 65
Saved

Planning a wedding can be very daunting. Let's discuss how you took the plunge into wedding planning with which vendor you booked first! I booked my venue first mostly based off of this view and the beautiful natural vibe of the whole place.

Did you have a specific photographer or other vendor you just had to have for your wedding?? Who did you pick first??

wedding venuePlanning milestones- First vendor! 1

65 Comments

Latest activity by Briaunna, on December 3, 2019 at 10:07 AM
  • Future Mrs. McCully
    Devoted July 2019
    Future Mrs. McCully ·
    • Flag

That is a gorgeous view!!

The venue we chose was the first part of our wedding planning. We looked at two venues.

The first one was literally perfect but WAY out of our price range...we went through the rest of the tour bummed because we knew it wasn't going to work out. But at the end of the tour the owner told us that they had a cancellation and if we took it we could get it half price for the entire weekend but we would only have 5 months to plan the wedding.

The second venue was just as pretty but we kept comparing everything...it was a little more affordable but not as perfect.

So it was either - we get the venue we loved but had 5 months to plan and save. Or we go with the other venue and had a year and a half to plan and save.

So we decided we would take the challenge and book the venue we fell in love with and do some super speedy wedding planning but save a bunch of money in the long run.

• Cori
    Devoted June 2020
    Cori ·
    • Flag
    We picked venue first because it was the easiest thing and also going to be one of the most expensive parts so we wanted to get all that money out of the way.

That view is amazing! I can see why you picked it.
  • Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's awesome! Luckily this venue was super affordable. Were you able to get all the other vendors you wanted on such short notice?

• Brianna N
    Super October 2019
    Brianna N ·
    • Flag

We booked our venue as well! We knew what date we wanted, it was just a matter of finding the perfect venue!

• Future Mrs. McCully
    Devoted July 2019
    Future Mrs. McCully ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Surprisingly everything fell into place nicely - the DJ, photographer and caterer we wanted to book were all available for our date! I couldn't believe it!

The only thing we had any issues with has been the bartender.

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

We chose our venue first! I feel like the venue is a great foundation, and its really guided my planning!

• Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Your venue has a gorgeous view! We, actually, booked our photographer/videographer/photo booth package first. We booked it before we were engaged! The company was having a super good sale at the beginning of the spring that only lasted a week or two so we went ahead and reserved it. My mom paid for it and knew when FH was going to propose so she was okay paying for it without the ring since we were saving so much money!

• Emily
    Super April 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag

We booked our venue first. We did a month of research on different venues in the area and toured our top two. We loved both of them but ultimately went with the one that could hold more people for our large family. Our venue is all inclusive so there's pretty much not a lot of other large decisions we need to make. Just a DJ and a photogrpaher and my FH is in the wedding business so he recommended two that we both just love.

• Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    • Flag
    We booked our venue first as well!
    We knew exactly where we wanted to have it so we went a couple weeks after getting engaged to take a tour and consultation. We put the deposit down 2 weeks after our visit to ensure we got the date we wanted. The summer Saturday's were getting booked up very quickly at the time!
  • Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree! Plus the venue dictates a lot of things like whether or not outside vendors are even allowed for picking!

• Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow that's so cool! Did you have to pick a specific date when you booked them?

• Andrea
    Super October 2019
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    I hired our photographer first. She photographed my father’s wedding and I really wanted her, so I jumped on that quickly. After that was a caterer!
  • Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's awesome! We also chose an all-inclusive venue. It was great because they provide as much or as little as you'd like. They pretty much booked everything for us except the photographer.

• Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I thought some people may have booked photographers first. It was my second choice! Did you have to pick a date based off your photographer or did you wait to find a venue to pick the date?

• Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I did! We already knew before he proposed that we wanted to get married on Leap Day next year! I went ahead and reserved that date but also made sure that we were able to change the date at no charge (as long as they had the alternative date available) if something fell through with our original date. I negotiate advertising costs and contracts for a living so that is something I'm used to doing. Smiley smile

• Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's great! Not something I was originally thinking of when I first started planning. Luckily my venue and photographer let me change the date with no charge!

• Erin
    Expert May 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag

Wow I love that view!

Our first vendor was our venue! I actually fell in love with a different venue while looking online, but it was WAYYY out of our price range and they weren't flexible on anything (everything had to be done through them). So, FH and I decided to look elsewhere. We only went to one venue to tour because we knew it was the one for us right after we left. We actually emailed them the next hour to book! The owners were super sweet and even bounced decor ideas off of us, plus they even offered to bring in some of their own stuff they had at home that they thought would look cute!

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

We picked our venue first. It was the only venue we toured and we loved it. I ended up cancelling a tour I had booked for another venue, because the first one was perfect. They had a variety of dates open so we got lucky and got a date that we wanted. So far we have our photographer, DJ, baker and hopefully by the end of this week our catering will be booked as well. We have our tasting on Wednesday.

• Cristy
    Master May 2021
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

We picked our venue first also. I figured that was the big one, so we wanted to get one booked, and our date nailed down.

We toured 3, and had a 4th scheduled. But #3 had everything we were looking for (including a much more affordable price), so we booked it at the end of the tour. We cancelled the tour for #4. We are so happy, and don't regret this decision at all! I love our venue. The thing is, it's not the most beautiful setting I've ever seen. It's not the fanciest venue out there. But it is us. We both felt it as soon as we got there, and I think we had actually made our decision before the end of the tour. It fit all our needs, and I can't wait!!

• Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's so nice! It seemed like all the venues I found and liked required us to book everything through them which just made the price go through the roof. The owner of this venue is also super personable so that helped a lot!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics