Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mandy
Expert November 2011

NWR: My dog wants to eat my new kitten!!

Mandy, on August 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 47

Help! I need advice, and if your going to comment 'get rid of one of them' don't waste your time. I just got a new kitten yesterday and this morning my english bulldog almost ate her! We introduced them last night and he got a crazy look in his eyes, then when I put the kitten in my daughters room for the night he was searching around for her. As soon as we woke up this morning he went tearing into the room after the poor kitty! He cornered her and lunged at her I had to pick him up and carry him outside or she would've been done for! What should I do? Will he ever get used to her or is she food to him? I'm so sad we've always had cats and dogs together growing up without a problem =(

47 Comments

Latest activity by Ssdfyt, on March 14, 2022 at 8:55 PM
  • Mrs. S™
    Master October 2011
    Mrs. S™ ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

How's he doing with other animals in general? Like when you come across other dogs? I only saw it once, when I lived with a landlady who had a crazy dog (NOT saying your dog is crazy!) and I got two kittens. But that dog did not like ANY other animals or people for that matter. Also, I think Petsmart has collars that are supposed to calm the animal down.

• Mandy
    Expert November 2011
    Mandy ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

He is a very friendly dog! Gets along great with other dogs, my kids (4 and 1) and people..he hardly even barks! This is why I got the cat, I really didn't forsee a problem and my oldest daughter is already so attached! I don't think he's ever seen a cat or kitten before and he thinks the poor thing is supper!

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Is he being aggressive, or being playful? Many dogs play with their mouths- but he can just physically overpower the kitten. Start by with disciplining him with a water bottle. But when you put a dog with a new animal- similar behavior is actually normal. He's trying to establish his dominance as the alpha dog in their relationship.

Give it some time, keep a close eye on both of them and welcome to the world of your dog bringing you "kitty brownies." You'll learn soon enough what that means...

• J
    Master November 2011
    J&R ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Keep them separated when you're not there, or it could be disastrous.

Having introduced a dog and a kitten twice now, I think you have to do 2 things. One, ensure that your dog's prey drive is not too high to have a kitten around. I know you don't want to hear that you can't keep them both, but if the alternative is that you find your kitten dead, killed by your dog, having to part with one is not the worst option. Dogs are animals, not people in fur coats, and some can't resist the urge to hunt smaller critters. I'm sorry to tell you that, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Asking a pro (trainer, vet) about this may help.

Two, if this is just a period of adjustment, introduce them slowly. My dog was a little too rough with the kitten at first, but just didn't appreciate the size difference. Now that cat is full grown and the dog is better at not overdoing it.

• J
    Master November 2011
    J&R ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Your dog may just be overexcited about having a new animal - and a strange species - in the house. But you need to know that for sure before you know the kitty will be safe. E.g., it is not recommended to mix huskies and kittens b/c of the husky's prey drive. Sometimes it works out okay, but often it doesn't.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

My dog hates cats and would hunt until he found her.....some dogs are just less laid back this way than others.......

• FMS, the barefoot wife!
    Master August 2010
    FMS, the barefoot wife! ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

He could be a dog that just likes to hunt smaller prey, and if that's the case, you would have to find a new home for one of them. Not easy to hear, but better than finding a dead kitten in your home, or worse, having your kids witness it.

Until you can figure out if he is showing dominance, or trying to 'hunt' the kitten, keep them seperated, but when they're together, do like Meghan said and discipline with a spray bottle.

• DallasBride
    Devoted April 2012
    DallasBride ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

My Aunts dog is the same way, she hunts and kills kittens, and she is a toy border collie. I agree with J&R S. I think you need to talk to a trainer and work on it, but be prepared that you may have to give one up. Some dogs just can't be around cats. I know this isn't what you want to hear.

But I would try to make it work, and make sure they cant get to eachother if you aren't home.

• Melissa
    Devoted November 2012
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Try this:

http://www.moggies.co.uk/html/introduction.html

My dog is part terrier which were breed for rat hunting, which was a problem when I brought a very small kitten home. We had to keep them separated for about 6 weeks before I was confidant in introducing the two. The initial introduction didn't go well when we first brought my kitten home either. You might need to try a slow introduction too.

• Mandy
    Expert November 2011
    Mandy ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies for the advice, @Melissa W. I am going to read through that link more thoroughly in a bit! She has a safe place in my daughters room with a new bed to sleep in, food and a litter box. I plan to introduce them to each other in small doses over the next week or 2 and see what happens. If he remains aggressive toward her I guess I will have no choice but to find her a new home =( because obviously I would rather have her happy in a new home then dead in mine. Look how flippen cute though....Rylee named her Coco

• Mrs. S™
    Master October 2011
    Mrs. S™ ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

OMG, she is ADORABLE!

• ashlee
    Master January 2012
    ashlee ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Oh my gawd that baby! Smiley surprise)

i have a dog and 2 cats... the dog and one cat basically grew up together - but the 2nd cat we rescued off the street. the first 2 - 3 weeks were definitely a challenge but then they started learning to live together. i think if you are careful and patient . . . you sound like you are off to a good start, it may just take some time. good luck!

• Nancy Taussig
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

As small as she is, he may think she's a chew toy. I've always wondered why they make dog toys that look and sound like small animals.

• Trista
    VIP September 2012
    Trista ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I really recommend you seek out a professional trainer/behaviorist right away. I have been a placement coordinator with a rescue for bully breeds and own 2 bulldogs myself. I can tell you from experience that they have a high prey drive and a high percentage of bully breeds just don't do well with cats. Sometimes this can be worked on and sometimes not. I had several foster dogs in my home that killed cats and got moved to us because we had none. I hope you are able to work it out!

• J
    Master November 2011
    J&R ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Aww, so cute! I hope it works out. As Trista recommends, a good doggie behaviorist may make all the difference for you. You could feel confident that giving the kitten a new home is absolutely necessary based on a pro's opinion, if that's the case. If that's not the case, you can learn what your family needs to do to make it work.

Nancy T - dogs like little squeaky toys because it mimics a distressed small animal (i.e., dying). These cute little toys are so loved by dogs b/c they appeal to their innate prey drive. (Many dogs won't stop until the toy, or at least the squeaker, is destroyed - the kill finished.) It's not the toys' faults. Pet owners need to remember that their lovable furry friend is still an animal with animal instincts.

• Jen P.
    Master January 2012
    Jen P. ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

J&R S. is absolutely right. You know that cute jerky motion they make when they are flinging their toy around? That's them trying to break the neck. Cute little killers. Man's best friend and most critter's worst enemy. My dogs looooove going after squirrels and birds. My terrior would chase my cat too much so we finally gave her away because we felt she deserved to feel safe in her own home.. Your dog might calm down as the kitten grows bigger, but he may have that instinct that he just can't control.. all the luck to you though! sure is a cute kitty Smiley smile

• J
    Master November 2011
    J&R ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Yes, the most dangerous time is when she's so little. A strong prey (esp in a strong breed like a bulldog) drive means you shouldn't have a cat or a kitten around. However, with my two, a 10 lb cat vs. a 30 lb dog was a lot more even than a 2 lb cat vs. a 30 lb. dog. My dog is a border collie - Brittany mix, but he doesn't seem to have much of a prey drive, thankfully. He has only noticed and wanted to pursue squirrels (seemingly just to sniff them - he isn't that aggressive about it) 2x in 1.5 years, and he sees squirrels every day. I had the kitten before the dog, so the kitten was 10 weeks when the 6 mo. (almost fully grown) pup arrived. Maybe it was just the trauma of being in his new home for the first time, but the pup just sat there and let the kitten sniff him. The chasing didn't start til it was part of play. Play hunting maybe, but still just play.

• Mrs. Clark aka Mrs Awesomepants
    Master November 2011
    Mrs. Clark aka Mrs Awesomepants ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

PM ME!! I have an American Bulldog and we foster kittens all the time so I can help with that!!

• HRH Mags
    Master March 2014
    HRH Mags ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I would keep them completely separate until that adorable kitty gets bigger. Its hard when dogs who haven't been around cats before suddenly have a cat..esp a breed like a bulldog. Much easier when they can grow up together. Goodluck! I know you dont want to hear this, but you might not ever be able to leave them alone together. I have heard too many horror stories of a dog "playing" and cornering the cat somewhere, even when they appear to be fine together when you are around.

That being said...I have always had cats and dogs of various breeds and sizes together and they learn to get along. It just takes a lot of careful time. The better your dogs manners are, aka actually listening when you tell them to sit and stay, the better chance of being able to contain their excitement when meeting the cat later on.

• VIP February 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

One of my girlfriends has been working with animals and training to be an animal caretaker. We were having issues with this as well at one point. She suggested this product called "feliway for dogs". I thought she was nuts...but was willing to try anything because I LOVE my cats, and my FH wanted the dog because our house had recently been broken into. Him working nights and me being at home, he wanted me to have a good guard dog. At first the dog would run up on my mean cat and then actually clawed him in the snout once...I felt SO bad. Anyways...they have a version of feliway that looks like little glade plug ins and smell good too. My friend told me to put one near the dogs food and one near where he sleeps. Feliway COMPLETELY calmed my dog down. Despite him growing up around cats from a puppy on...he still had a complex with my cats until we tried this feliway stuff.

It wasn't an overnight change by any means, and we still have to keep them apart unless we were home.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics