Crystal
Super October 2015

NWR: Christmas in DC

Crystal, on October 21, 2015 at 1:54 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 18
Saved Save

I am trying to surprise DH with a weekend getaway to DC in December. I'm looking at places on Airbnb to stay, anybody have any suggestions on what area to stay in? I'm hoping for somewhere that has easy access to the airport via public transportation but easy access to touristy stuff as well. Any suggestions on things to do? This will be our first trip to DC so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

18 Comments

• WWKatie
    Master January 2016
    WWKatie ·
    • Flag

I'm partial to Capitol Hill because that's where I live Smiley smile Super easy access to Reagan either via cab/Uber or metro and you're within walking distance of the National Mall, Smithsonians, etc.

• Staci
    Master September 2014
    Staci ·
    • Flag

I love Christmas in DC Smiley smile

If you are looking to do the touristy thing, look for places that are near the Orange Line (metro) which will take you to the National Mall.

Definitely check out the White House which is always decorated. There's also Zoo Lights which is at the national zoo.

• Reese
    Master July 2015
    Reese ·
    • Flag

Definitely make sure you're near a metro stop, whatever you choose. And like Staci said the orange line will give you the easiest access to getting around to the stuff you'll want to see. Zoo Lights are really fun or you can go during the day time and see the new baby panda!

• Jennifer
    VIP July 2016
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I can't say much about where to stay, since I usually stay with my sister, but as for things to see.... How much time do you have???/ Seriously! All the museums, art gallery, the National Mall!! There is so much to do and see in DC and vicinity! If you get the chance and like Artisan stuff, head over to Old Georgetown to the Old Torpedo Factory. It is indeed an old torpedo factory, but its now basically an Artisan Mall... Very cool stuff.

• WWKatie
    Master January 2016
    WWKatie ·
    • Flag

@VM The more the merrier! lol

• OG Mrs.K (2.0)
    Master September 2014
    OG Mrs.K (2.0) ·
    • Flag

Following.

We are supposed to go to DC in December to visit my brother-in-law. I am excited, especially since I've never been to the East Coast. But it's sort of on hold right now because with a baby on the way, we aren't sure if we want to spend the $$.

• Macy
    Super September 2016
    Macy ·
    • Flag

What's your budget? Hotels in DC are pretty cheap in December. I would recommend the Mayflower - I booked a room for my cousin and it was crazy discounted. Like under $125 per night and it's an awesome hotel. Close to the White House and the Mall. I highly recommend using Uber in the city. It's cheap and way better than metro. DC is small, you can get around pretty easily.

• WWKatie
    Master January 2016
    WWKatie ·
    • Flag

@MrsK Come visit WeddingWire!!! We can give you a tour of the office Smiley smile

• N
    Master October 2016
    no1 ·
    • Flag

I LOVE D.C. during christmas time! (I live in Norther VA). you should definitely add the National Christmas Tree too your list of things to do :]] (if you use the metro I recommend getting the all day pass it ends up being cheaper if you make alot of stops)

• Lara
    Master July 2015
    Lara ·
    • Flag

Anywhere on the blue/orange line will get you to the landmarks downtown and the airport. It may be cheaper to stay in Rosslyn and hop on the metro when you want to sight see. Enjoy!!

• Crystal
    Super October 2015
    Crystal ·
    • Flag

Thanks ladies! Any thoughts on awesome bars and restaurants?

• WWKatie
    Master January 2016
    WWKatie ·
    • Flag

Restaurants:

Acqua al 2

Rasika

Le Diplomate

Rose's Luxury

Ted's Bulletin

• Tara
    Devoted November 2015
    Tara ·
    • Flag

Blue, Silver or Orange all run on the by the major touristy stuff so if your hotel is by one of those stops you will have easy access to most things. Zoo lights, the National Christmas tree are favorites of mine. You can also skate on an outdoor icerink at the Georgetown waterfront. For restaurants my favorites are Old Ebitts grill, Founding Farmers and bus boys and poets are great places to eat while you are there!

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·
    • Flag

You definitely want to stay North of the Anacostia River. Near Logan Circle and Dupont Circle is relatively safe and should be easy to get around.

You could also stay just outside of DC in Bethesda (MD) and have really easy access to DC tourist stuff but a definitely safe area.

Also-- general tip: Use Reagan Airport if possible. Dulles is considered a DC airport but it's a b-- to get to.

• Tara
    Devoted November 2015
    Tara ·
    • Flag

You can almost always get a great hotel deal on priceline but you have to wait until the day before to book it

Master October 2013
    .... ·
    • Flag

Which airport do you want access to? Reagan is the only one Metro accessible. Dulles requires metro + bus (or Uber), as does BWI (or metro + train).

Have the Uber app ready on your phone. Metro is unreliable and you'll want the alternative.

The Torpedo Factory is in Old Town Alexandria, not Georgetown. Old Town is super cute - take the yellow line to King Street and walk around. There's also a ferry to National Harbor (MD) from Old Town. National Harbor is kind of neat, lots of shopping and nice restaurants I think they have the ICE exhibit in December.

I work near the Renaissance Hotel which is really nice and central - near Chinatown/Metro Center so you can walk to whatever line you need to be on easily. The Grand Hyatt is above Metro Center so you don't even have to go outside to get to Metro Center when its cold (red, orange, blue, silver line)

I like the Spy Museum.

And remember to walk left, stand right on the escalators on Metro!

• OG Mrs.K (2.0)
    Master September 2014
    OG Mrs.K (2.0) ·
    • Flag

WWKatie - I most definitely will hit you up if we end up going!!

• Staci
    Master September 2014
    Staci ·
    • Flag

Oh sure WWKatie...just throw her to the wolves and recommend Rose's Luxury lol. I still haven't been!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics