Lindsay
VIP June 2014

Number in Bridal Party

Lindsay, on August 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM Posted in Planning 0 30
Saved Save

I am recently engaged and planning for a May 2014 wedding. I know it's far away still, but since there are so many options I want to start brainstorming ideas now. I want to have six people on each side of the wedding party, because it is a nice, even number. Today, however, I was talking to my mom and she pointed out that I had left out two of my cousins, which I didn't even think of. She is absolutely right. I should not leave them out. This would bring me to eight girls (my sister, 3 cousins, and my 4 closest friends). I want to include them all because they all hold a special place in my heart but the only thing that concerns me is pictures. How many girls do you ladies have in your party? I am concerned that with 8 girls, 8 guys, myself and my husband, it will be hard to fit everyone in the wedding photos. What do you guys think?

30 Comments

• Courtney
    Expert April 2012
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Larger wedding parties cause more stress. I have 5 girls and I want to pull my hair out!

• Rosie
    Master June 2011
    Rosie ·
    • Flag

If you have 3 years until your wedding, wait 2 years to ask anybody.

• Dena&JD
    Master April 2012
    Dena&JD ·
    • Flag

5 BMs, 1 MOH, 1 Matron of honor, 2 FGs, and 1BM

• Rachel W.
    Master May 2012
    Rachel W. ·
    • Flag

I think that's a really big bridal party. If you're planning a huge wedding, ok, but for a smaller wedding, that's a lot of girls.

I would slow down, try to envision your day. Not everyone in your family has to be in the bridal party.

• C
    Expert June 2012
    C ·
    • Flag

I agree with Rosie. Relationships and life changes. I would wait a couple years before thinking about who to have in your wedding party.

• Lindsay
    VIP June 2014
    Lindsay ·
    • Flag

@Rosie, I wasn't planning on asking anyone until a year and a half before the wedding. I just wanted to get some opinions on numbers.

I plan on having about 150 guests.

• Patricia
    Master December 2011
    Patricia ·
    • Flag

I have 7/7 on each side plus MOH and Bestman, I've been to wedding parties with far more than that, I think you'll be fine with 8, it becomes a hassle for pics after you've past 9-10, that's how I see it based on weddings I've walked in

• KuriFury
    Dedicated October 2016
    KuriFury ·
    • Flag

I have 4/4, including BM and MOH. I agree with others about waiting until closer to the date to actually ask anyone. You never know how you'll feel about people later on, or who will actually still be around for you.

• Cydney J (Cydney M)
    Master October 2011
    Cydney J (Cydney M) ·
    • Flag

I have 3 girls on my side...I also have 6 nieces that I wanted to include, so I had them become readers. I've seen weddings that have up to 15 people on each side.

• M
    Expert November 2011
    Mrs. ·
    • Flag

2 MOH, 5 BM, 3 FG........@ BM, 5 GM, 1 RB, 1 BROOM-BOY..........THATS SMALL COMPARED TO MY FRIENDWS WEDDING WHO HAD 15 GIRLS AND 15 GUYS!!!

• Anonymous
    Super October 2012
    Anonymous ·
    • Flag

Traditionally, I think for every 50 guests, you have one attendant. (Don't quote me on that though, that could be totally wrong, lol). And also, traditions are meant to be broken.

We're having about 125 guests at ours and I have 1 MOH and 4 BMs.

I know your wedding is really far away but are you planning on a church wedding? How about having your 2 cousins do a special reading instead of being a BM? There are tons of ways to include people in your wedding without them being a BM. Handing out ceremony programs, manning the guest book.

When my sister got married, we had a an uncle who was desperate to be included but weren't sure what to have him do. Turns out, he was happy to man the camcorder for her.

I wouldn't worry about the numbers just yet - bask in the bliss of being engaged! Go get a manicure, show off your finger! Just have fun for awhile!

• Ester C
    VIP July 2012
    Ester C ·
    • Flag

We are having 3 on each side, FG and RB. If you are concerned about the large number of the BP have a couple of them be readers or hand out programs or ushers. They will still feel part of the wedding but less stress for you.

• Wicked Lizzie
    VIP September 2011
    Wicked Lizzie ·
    • Flag

Yeah things change in the last year in a half we went from 7 on each side to 2 then to i have 3 and he has 2

I would wait for sure you never know how plans will change all around

• Meredith
    Expert October 2011
    Meredith ·
    • Flag

I have 6 bridesmaids. There are other roles besides bridesmaids. I asked my SIL and foster sister to be my personal attendants. They actually got the bridesmaids dress in a shorter version. I also have 4 girlfriends who are filling in as usherettes. Since you do have time - you never know - someone may be expecting at that time or have a new baby already. They may want to relax and enjoy as a guest. Smiley smile I think it's smart that you're waiting to ask.

• Michelle
    Devoted November 2011
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I have a big one myself, 1 MOH and 1 BM 6 BM/GM 2 jrs BM/GM and 2 FG/B and OMG its soooo much but I couldnt picture my wedding without any of them......but if you dont feel comfortable with that have them read somthing or Iv seen sosmething about a hostess

• Phyllisann
    Master June 2012
    Phyllisann ·
    • Flag

1 MOH, 2 Matrons of Honor, 5 BM 2 Jr. BM 1 FG / 1 BM, 9 GM, 1 RB.

I have 150 guests.

• Elizabeth
    Devoted July 2011
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I think that you could ask some girls to be hostesses, which is still a super important job! Someone to pass out bubbles/rice/whatever for your exit, show people where the guest book is, show people where to put the gifts..

• Susanne
    Beginner August 2011
    Susanne ·
    • Flag

I think that the rules for attendants have really changed, since our parents, etc. married. I have 8 'maids total : 2 of them are Matrons of Honor; 1 Maid of Honor ; 5 "regular" bridesmaids...1 flowegirl, 2 Mothers, the list seems endless! What really matters, in my opinion at least, is how they will all relate together, and with you, not only on your big day, but throughout the whole process. It's a matter of how comfortable you are with a big party, and how the girls will react to maybe having to miss an event such as the shower or bachelorette party (imagine trying to coordinate 9 or more busy peoples' schedules - someone is bound to be unavailable for something!) Budget is another concern, as I learned - more gifts to buy, and a bigger limo!! Also, there's no rule on having even sides anymore - I have been in/attended several with uneven numbers in bridesmaids and groomsmen - so that may ease your pictures worry, if there are, say, 2 BMs / groomsmen.

• KT
    VIP October 2011
    KT ·
    • Flag

I have 1 MOH, 4 BM.

And 1 best man, 3 GM.

2 FG

I have been incredibly lucky and have not had any drama with any of them. The more people you have often = more drama. You also usually get them gifts, so it will be more expensive. Make sure whoever you choose can afford it and live up to your expectations. I think a lot of issues happen when a bride demands more from a BM than they expected to have to give...

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

We had one maid of honor and one dude of honor for the two of us. You can have as many people in your party as you want. However, do be aware that the larger the party, the more the likelihood of drama.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics