D
Dedicated June 2014

Look online before you buy a veil at DB!!

Deb, on January 21, 2014 at 8:14 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 38
Saved Save

I learned a lesson by buying a veil in DB before I'd done my homework. Guess I got caught up in the excitement while we were there for my alterations... bought a very simple veil - elbow length - and paid $189. THEN I got to looking online and found really beautiful veils for well under $50!! It can't be a matter of "quality"... Veils are made of the same basic materials. I even saw some online for hundreds of dollars, and honestly believe any store charging this kind of money is taking advantage of brides! (And we all know many vendors do this... when they hear "wedding" they hear $$$&dollarSmiley winking

DB has their no return policy or I'd definitely return this veil to them... I'm even considering buying a second veil online, spending about $25-30. Even in the end if I choose to wear the DB veil, I'm only out $30. in retrospect, spending $189 for a simple 1-tier veil was ridiculous!!!!

38 Comments

• Zzil
    Master October 2014
    Zzil ·
    • Flag

I found the exact same veil that DB wanted $150 for on Etsy for $29.99 after shipping. So glad I didn't buy mine at DB!

• TheOGJesse's Girl
    Master March 2014
    TheOGJesse's Girl ·
    • Flag

I totally agree!!! Those bridal shops charge a LOT of money for veils.

• N
    Master September 2014
    Now I'm Mrs_M ·
    • Flag

"It can't be a matter of 'quality'... Veils are made of the same basic materials."

Believe it or not, price actually DOES reflect quality, (with the exception of a small mark-up to support the wedding industry) not to mention veils are made up of different materials. There are different types of tulle used to create the veil, as well as beading, lace, etc. The nicer materials cost more money hence higher prices. I am not a fan of DB, but $189 is a pretty good price for a veil. At the bridal shop where I purchased my dress from, the cheapest veil was $499, and the most expensive was $2999.

• Brooke
    Super October 2014
    Brooke ·
    • Flag

That is exactly why I do not have a veil yet.

• Ab
    Master October 2011
    Ab ·
    • Flag

I got mine on ebay for like 29..that being said I'm sure if I got one at DB (or any bridal store for that matter) it would have been better quality; also would have burned a bigger whole in my wallet though!

• D
    Dedicated June 2014
    Deb ·
    • Flag

I would never have paid $189 for a veil if I'd been more savvy about what else is available. To me, "quality" in a veil is a rather moot point. It's purely a decoration that I'll wear maybe an hour or two. Period. It's all about how it looks, not if it'll stand the test of time. I stand on my opinion that bridal shops such as DB rip brides off, taking advantage of our excitement, vulnerability, and perhaps in some cases, naïveté. In my case, just plain DUMB!! Smiley smile

• MrsLewis
    Expert March 2014
    MrsLewis ·
    • Flag

That is crazy. I was actually very happy with my veil from DB. The shop I bought my dress from wanted over $300 for a veil and didn't have what I wanted (Just very simply). They also wanted about $500 for a belt. I eneded up finding a veil and a belt from DB that was perfect and just what I wanted. For both I paid $130. I know I have seen less expensive veils online but I get so worried about buying things online, it was nice to see what I was getting in person.

• Mrs. S (Amanda C.)
    Super July 2014
    Mrs. S (Amanda C.) ·
    • Flag

I couldn't believe when the girl at DB put me in a veil and what it cost! It was beautiful and complimented the dress very well. I'm only wearing mine for the ceremony and then taking it out - I couldn't fathom spending that much when quality shouldn't really be an issue for 30 minutes. I'm using the veil as my something borrowed and using my SILs veil from 2011.

• D
    Dedicated June 2014
    Deb ·
    • Flag

Mary, I'm happy you got both a belt & a veil for $130! I wonder what's going on at the DB I deal with in Dedham... I looked at several veils & they claimed they didn't have any cheaper than the one I bought for $189!

... But on a happier note I did get a very pretty sash w/rhinestones for $70 at DB and it looks like that's an average/good price for a sash even online. Ironically, haha, for a beautiful sash I would have paid more!! Go figure!

• N
    Master September 2014
    Now I'm Mrs_M ·
    • Flag

You want it to look good, but cheap veils don't always look the best. Some look like they're made out of mosquito netting and are very stiff. You can tell that it's cheap.

Not to mention, you're complaining that one veil from DB was too expensive, but yet are talking about buying another one? Isn't that defeating the purpose of not spending money?

Sell it to make some of your money back and then purchase the cheaper one.

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·
    • Flag

There is a large markup in the wedding industry in general, but that said, the veils from DB aren't terribly expensive comparably speaking. Their quality is okay, too. I'm sure a lot of the Etsy shops' veils are made really well, and there is a big difference between good tulle and crap tulle. And some people use netting because it's cheaper and then sell it as tulle, thinking brides won't know the difference.

Just be careful what you buy.

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·
    • Flag

I agree with Mrs. M. While I'm planning to make my own veil, their is obviously a market for very high end expensive veils. I guess if a lady is wearing a $20,000 dress, she doesn't want to wear a $30 veil (or even a $189 veil, for that matter)!

• KM
    Master March 2015
    KM ·
    • Flag

This is why I'm borrowing mine. Cathedral veil for free!

• D
    Dedicated June 2014
    Deb ·
    • Flag

I know I sound like I'm "talking outta both sides of my mouth" here, ladies. Must sound like a Bridezilla. Smiley sad but I guess what I didn't say is that for the $189 I spent on the DB veil, I'm not thrilled with it. Bought on impulse. Those cheaper ones I saw online I lilked better... But you are probably right that they could be made of stiff netting. ( but also the $189 veil isn't tulle either!) I agree with those of you who pointed this out about quality Smiley smile

I think when it comes down to it, I should just be happy with what I bought & quit over- thinking this, huh?!

5 months & 7 days left... I need to start over-thinking flowers. Haha

• Chelsea
    Super August 2014
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag

I ordered my veil from eBay. It should be here next week. Not gonna lie, my expectations are LOW! It was only $18.00. But i figure if it sucks, I'll move on and pay big bucks for one. I have heard 50/50 responses from people that by the eBay/China veils. Some people say great, others say cheap and cheesy! If I hate it, my MOH said I'm wearing it at my party!

**I'll up date once it comes in!

• mrsrobinvalentine
    Master February 2014
    mrsrobinvalentine ·
    • Flag

Prior to planning my wedding, I use to think that "cars & furniture" were the biggest markup industries, NOT. it's weddings!

• N
    Master September 2014
    Now I'm Mrs_M ·
    • Flag

Chelsea, I bought a cathedral length veil from eBay for $2.25 + free shipping to use as a prop for my boudoir shoot. It really is mosquito netting. It's very stiff, synthetic tulle with a badly sewn lace edge. There was tiny hole (looked like a cigarette burn) near one of the edges too. It also smelled like oil so it needed to be aired out.

Did I know what I was buying for $2.25? Yep.

Do I care, no. It'll look great in B&W photos.

Would I ever wear it for my wedding? Absolutely not. There is no way to make my eBay veil look like a quality piece next to my gown.

I'm glad you said that your expectations are low. After all, its good to aim low and be surprised! I hope yours turns out better than mine did though!

Post photos of yours so we can see when it comes in!

• W
    Dedicated June 2014
    WaitingOnJune ·
    • Flag

I have three veils from eBay. For the little I paid for them, they aren't bad at all.

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·
    • Flag

Deb, you could always sell your DB veil online (preownedweddingdresses.com, tradesy, even ebay) and buy the one you want if you haven't already.

• Mrs. Captain America
    VIP June 2014
    Mrs. Captain America ·
    • Flag

It took me a while, but I found and bought my veil on Amazon for $35.00. It's a 2 tier scalloped edge with rhinestone veil and looks to be very good quality!

Comment on this discussion