Alondra
VIP February 2012

How much cake should I really get? Help please

Alondra, on September 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 30
Saved

I've been contacting vendors all day about our wedding cake. It's supposed to feed 100 guest..but then again not EVERYONE likes cake. We are really having 70 adults and 30 children. How much should my cake really feed?

I don't want to have a lot of cake left over..especially if it's costing me $300-$400.

30 Comments

Latest activity by Private User, on August 5, 2015 at 1:08 AM
  • StankaMonsta
    Super October 2011
    StankaMonsta ·
    • Flag

I would get cake for 100. Some guests may have more than one piece and if there is some left over, I'm sure someone would be willing to take it home.

• Rae
    Master October 2012
    Rae ·
    • Flag

I think a save bet would be enough to serve 80. Some will eat more, some will eat less.

• Jessica
    Master July 2012
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I was thinking of getting enough cake/cupcakes for everyone, but also getting little boxes, so guests can take home their cupcake to eat later if they prefer.

I totally understand the instinct to not buy servings for each individual guest (I don't usually eat cake at celebrations)... before I switched to cupcakes I kept thinking about that also.

• HRH Mags
    Master March 2014
    HRH Mags ·
    • Flag

You could also do a combo of cupcakes and cake. If I was going to have a lot of kids there I would have cupcakes made for them. It seems like cupcakes is a way to save a bit of money too in my area anyways. But I would make sure that regardless there is 1 serving of something per guest.

• Alondra
    VIP February 2012
    Alondra ·
    • Flag

I guess I should add:

I'm having a desert table (& wedding cake, for some reason when I say this people ask if I'm still having the cake) I am already making cupcakes and putting vases on a table full of candy. I find this necessary because it's part of me and my FH's character. We both have a big sweetooth Smiley smile So, with that said, would 100 silces of cake still be necessary?

• Shaton
    VIP June 2012
    Shaton ·
    • Flag

I have 100 guest and my cake cost $325. but is enough for 120 people.

• HRH Mags
    Master March 2014
    HRH Mags ·
    • Flag

It depends on your guests. I would want a piece of cake as a guest. So yes I would make sure there was enough for everyone. You certainly dont want everyone that does want a piece not to be able to have one. Thats a good idea about having boxes available for guests to take a piece home if they would prefer.

• Mrs. Montoya!!!
    VIP October 2011
    Mrs. Montoya!!! ·
    • Flag

I personally think its better to have too much then not enough. I am getting enough cake to feed all my guests.

• Alondra
    VIP February 2012
    Alondra ·
    • Flag

@ Shaton, who is your vendor?

Thanks ladies, you're probably right. I'd hate to want a piece of cake at a wedding but not be able to have some because there wasn't enough. 100 pieces it is.

• Sheila
    Master May 2011
    Sheila ·
    • Flag

We had 25-30 people at our wedding, the cake i made was a 6,8in,10 in and it was GONE! it really depends on the type of people you have. my family if they have options they try every option.

• Cavan
    VIP January 2012
    Cavan ·
    • Flag

I've heard that if you serve dessert or have a sweets table that you do not order a piece of cake per person as it goes to waste. Many of the past brides on this site can vouch for that. If you have 100 guests I would go with 80 pieces of cake. Did any of the cake vendors advise you on how much cake to order?

• KM
    Expert February 2012
    KM ·
    • Flag

I'm a server at a catering company and I've worked at A LOT of weddings. I have never been to a wedding where everyone actually ate a peice of cake.

I would go with the cake to serve 100 and then your caterer can cut it into smaller peices so there is extra. If you are having an additional desert table, your guests will only want a small taste of your cake anyways.

• Alondra
    VIP February 2012
    Alondra ·
    • Flag

Well, so far I've only emailed for a price range of 100 guest. They just gave me the price range and said if i needed a consultation to call them. I'm sure after going over more details in person they would give me some things to think about like you ladies have.

• Carole M (a.k.a "old tart")
    Master October 2011
    Carole M (a.k.a "old tart") ·
    • Flag

I would also suggest getting enough cake for 100 guests. I would hate to run out.

We are doing a candy buffet and an Italian pastry table and groom's cake, but I am still having a 4 tier cake. We are paying $5.25 a slice for 60 guests. I figured I would freeze whatever was left over. It's a carrot cake, so it is our favorite.

• KT
    VIP October 2011
    KT ·
    • Flag

Such a hard question! I know many brides on here have said they wish they didn't order so much cake, and with the crazy cost of wedding cakes it's hard to know what to do. We're in a predicament with our cake: we originally thought we'd have 120 guests and we got a quote for a cake that serves 125. Well...we now have about 142 adults and 8 children, so we have to have another side cake! Part of me thinks the 125 will still be enough, but I think it's better to have too much than not enough. However, we are not having a dessert table or edible favors, so you might be ok. My baker asked us two questions to determine how much cake: 1) is it being served or are guests taking their own? 2) is the cake cutting right after dinner as the actual dessert, or later in the evening? The answers to these questions make a HUGE difference in what you should do!

• Alondra
    VIP February 2012
    Alondra ·
    • Flag

@KT, and see I'm having edible favors (box with mits) then a dessert table then cake. I just think that 100 slices may not be necessary. Like I stated earlier though, my family and friends have gone above and beyond helping me with the wedding.. so I'd hate to get less slices and have people wanting more. Also, it is better to have too much cake.. so more than likely I'll have to get a cake to serve 100 (no matter what the cost lol)

• Nancy Taussig
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag

KT, what about adding a groom's cake?

• Wicked Lizzie
    VIP September 2011
    Wicked Lizzie ·
    • Flag

We are having a dessert buffet and italian cookies and cake we got a cake that feeds 40 people. I think there will be plenty. if your having other desserts then there isnt a need to have the same amount of cake as ppl

• Kiesha
    Super September 2012
    Kiesha ·
    • Flag

I was told by several people (other brides, vendors, bakers) plan on ordering a cake to feed 2/3 of your guest list. Not everyone will want a piece, some cant have it cause of health conditions, and some people just plain don't like cake! so for our wedding of about 325-350 we plan on ordering a cake for 275.

• Kathy
    Master July 2010
    Kathy ·
    • Flag

For my daughters wedding, we ordered enough cake for 85 guests. We had 134 guests at the reception. We had cake left over.

Listen to your baker. They are experienced at this. You will need less cake than you think.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics