Jessie
Devoted September 2020

For Brides Without a Father...

Jessie, on November 1, 2018 at 2:30 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 4
Saved Save
I lost my dad a little over 5 years ago. When my cousin got married 2 years ago, he read off names of friends and family that weren't there. When he read Dad's namw off the list, I walked outside and cried knowing my father wouldn't be there for the father-daughter dance we had planned. He was my best friend and we had it planned that he would be the one to walk me down the aisle and we'd dance to "Just Fishing," by Trace Adkins.

Now it's planned that his best friend (my "other" dad) will walk amd dance with me. He'll wear the bowlow tie Dad bought for his and mom's wedding. I'm wanting to stop and visit Dad's grave before the ceremony while all dressed up so he can see his little girl all grown up. We're looking at Mama and Daddy's wedding anniversary as our big day (9/12/2020). Mama even offered us hers and Dad's wedding bands. And because we both have grandparents that have passed away, we're taking their pictures and putting them on a table with a white candle.

These kinds of plans got me to wondering what you lovely brides have planned as a way to honor loved ones who have passed away. Are you doing pictures? Are there going to be songs that have a special meaning? Or are you not going to do anything at all? I wanna hear what y'all have to say.

4 Comments

• Cynthia's and Robert  Wedding Day
    VIP September 2020
    Cynthia's and Robert Wedding Day ·
    • Flag
    I am doing a memorial table and a white rose will be placed in our Mother's chairs. Certain songs will also be played at our wedding. This is a very touchy subject on WW so what works for some won"t always work for others.
  • Mrs.Sanok
    VIP September 2018
    Mrs.Sanok ·
    • Flag

I had two pictures hanging off my bouquet, along with my dads class ring.

The one picture was of my dad who passed the December 2016. Then the other was a picture of a friend that was more like a little sister. She passed away a year before our wedding. Just the night before I was talking to my mom about asking her to be my bridesmaid.

The pictures off my bouquet seemed like the best thing for me. I hate the idea of empty chairs and I do not like the memorial table. It is already hard enough not having them in our lives, I just did not want big things staring at me that they are not there. I also felt closer to them by having their pictures close to me all day. And it is almost like my dad was still there to walk me down the aisle.

For Brides Without a Father... 1

• Tbear
    Devoted October 2019
    Tbear ·
    • Flag
    My fiancé’s father passed away when he was 28.
    I have been the one in charge of decorations, so I have actively been trying to instill little things in the decorations that will remind him of his dad.
    1) His dad began painting a few years before he passed away, and he was GOOOOOD at it. A natural. So, our napkin rings include hand painted maple leaf on all 100 rings. Each one unique and beautiful. We actually both cried when painting them after my fiancé said, “My dad would have really loved these.”
    2) His dad’s favorite Christmas ornament was one his dad made years ago and would hide in the tree. It was a bird in a bird’s nest that he said represented “home and family”. His dad’s favorite bird was a bluebird. So, we will be having two archways. (One as a threshold into the outdoor ceremony and a smaller one as the altar). I made sure to make two bluebirds in nests to be included in the archway decorations.

*The picture attached is his dad’s second ever painting.

For Brides Without a Father... 2
  • HayMrsO
    Master October 2018
    HayMrsO ·
    • Flag

I surprised my hubby with a charm for his bout that had a picture of his parents, who have both passed, on it. He got so emotional.

I also had my favorite pic of my grandparents made into a charm for my bouquet. I am so happy I did it. I felt like they were a little part of the day.

I got them both on Etsy.

For Brides Without a Father... 3

Comment on this discussion