Jasmine
Savvy May 2020

Engagment ring- do you take them off:

Jasmine, on March 22, 2019 at 5:39 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 37
Saved Save

Okay so my FH mentioned that his mother does wear either of her rings to bed or while showering. He wants me to take mine off every time I fall asleep or shower (washing my hands). I understand the water thing- a bit. But I was wondering does anyone else take theirs off to do certain things? Like we went fishing and he told me to leave it on the dresser (fine cause like fishing whatever) but I not completely understanding the not wearing it to bed thing.

37 Comments

• A
    Expert August 2019
    Ami ·
    • Flag
    I've heard different opinions on this topic however I rarely take mine off. I only take it off for rock climbing, mountain biking, rough water sports, and working in the Refinery. This is purely for safety and comfort.
    I might be more concerned about it if we didn't have coverage on it, but the ring will be fixed if it breaks and replaced if lost...
  • Summerbride77
    VIP July 2019
    Summerbride77 ·
    • Flag
    I don't wear mine to bed. Its not great for the ring if you sleep on top of it and its not great for my FH if I accidentally hit him in the face with it tossing in my sleep.

A more extreme reason: my dad also had to have two wedding bands cut off because his fingers swelled in his sleep.
  • Tamara
    VIP August 2019
    Tamara ·
    • Flag

I rarely take it off, except when I work out.

• Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    Regularly, I only take mine off to shower and put on lotion. I also wear a silicone one for camping and some vacations.
  • Miryam
    Dedicated September 2019
    Miryam ·
    • Flag

I dont wear mine to sleep, I also take it off when I shower and workout.

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    I take mine off to sleep, shower, clean, go to the gym, swim, etc. The prongs can easily catch on things in your sleep.
  • C
    Savvy August 2020
    Chloe ·
    • Flag
    I take mine off all the time. I don’t like sleeping in any jewelry, including rings. I usually take off for showers too, I just have a ring dish in the bathroom drawer and in my bedside table so that I don’t misplace it!
  • Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    • Flag
    I have a lifetime warranty on mine. It was a must. Therefore, I sleep with it, shower with it, wash my hands with it, etc. I do take it off to put on lotion or working with raw meat and plan on leaving it at the house when we go fishing for fear of losing it in the water or something.
  • Destiny
    Rockstar May 2020
    Destiny Online ·
    • Flag
    I only take mine off to wash dishes I'll do it when i start doing yard work but it will go around my neck on a chain
  • Sandra
    Savvy July 2019
    Sandra ·
    • Flag
    I only take mine off when I shower and put lotion on or when I exfoliate my face. I read somewhere that any kind of exfoliating wash is not good for the diamond. I sleep on my back so I’m not too concerned about sleeping with my ring. Otherwise I always wear it.
  • Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    I take mine off when I do the dishes and shower. I should take it off when I go to the gym but I usually go there after work and don't want to leave it in my car or locker.
  • Sherry
    VIP September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

I take all of my jewelry off to shower, including my engagement ring. I have also taken it off if I am needing to scrub something or move something and it could get damaged or squished.

• C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    Mine gets super loose when wet, so I take it off when i shower or clean but not so wash my hands. I take it off if I’m making meatloaf where it could get caked in raw meet. I take it off to paint, I make a mess. It also comes off when I sleep because my fingers swell. But, I keep my wedding bad on. That doesn’t bother me when sleeping, maybe because it’s thinner. I don’t know. Any other time it stays on. I’ve exercised with it in and off, but usually take it off so I’m not taking a chance. You have to do what works for you.
  • Megan
    Savvy July 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag

This is so different for everyone! I take mine off quite often: every night while I sleep as well as when I take a shower, do dishes, clean the house, swim, exercise.

• Raphaella
    Just Said Yes June 2020
    Raphaella ·
    • Flag
    I wish I was okay with wearing mine all the time but I’m super careful. I take it off to sleep, shower, clean, do dishes, work out, go to the beach, or going somewhere I may lose it. However I am an athletic trainer and wear it everyday except football game days.
  • Sara
    Expert June 2019
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    I only take mine off if I'm doing something super messy or hazardous. I leave it on when I sleep, shower, wash regular dishes, kayak, do laundry, do light yardwork like raking the yard, etc. I also leave it on at work, and I work at a preschool. I do take it off if I'm dying my hair, washing greasy pots and pans, doing dirty gardening, playing a more involved sport, or maybe if I'm finger painting at work. My ring still looks flawless Smiley smile I hate taking it off. My FH said that if a thing can't be used for it's intended purpose, it doesn't deserve to have that purpose lol
  • Sara
    Expert June 2019
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    Oh yeah, and I take it off when I swim laps and when I go in hot tubs.
  • Carol
    Devoted October 2019
    Carol ·
    • Flag
    I rarely have mine on when we're at home. I'm not much of a jewelry person to begin with, and I'm always very aware of it, which can be distracting for me. Sleeping with my ring on would be a big no.
  • Kelly
    Dedicated June 2019
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I never take mine off except to put lotion on my hands and even then I’m paranoid I’ll forget to put it back on and leave it sitting somewhere lol. I’m going to Mexico in a few weeks and I think I’ll leave it home then but will probably wear a cheap small cz one instead.
  • Ingrid
    Super October 2020
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    I don't wear mine to bed, it comes off as soon as I walk in the house. I lost a stone less than a month after I got it and was heartbroken. So, now I play it safe completely.

Comment on this discussion