michelleb148
Just Said Yes May 2015

Engagement: 10 months or 22 months?

michelleb148, on August 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Posted in Planning 66

Hi all! I'm new Wedding Wire, but I thought this would be a good place to get some immediate advice. I got engaged 2 weeks ago to my boyfriend of over 10 years. I have always dreamed of a Spring wedding, so now I'm a bit stuck - do I go with Spring 2015 or 2016? I feel 2015 would be rush and I would...

Hi all! I'm new Wedding Wire, but I thought this would be a good place to get some immediate advice. I got engaged 2 weeks ago to my boyfriend of over 10 years. I have always dreamed of a Spring wedding, so now I'm a bit stuck - do I go with Spring 2015 or 2016? I feel 2015 would be rush and I would have to get started right away, but 2016 seems so far away and I'm concerned about what our grandparents' health might be over a year from now. Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated!

66 Comments

• Annie & Javi
    Master October 2015
    Annie & Javi ·

You can definitely do a ten month engagement, especially if you find an all inclusive wedding venue.

• Natalie
    Master May 2015
    Natalie ·

Although it doesn't seem to be the popular opinion I would say longer. I was in the same boat as you I wanted a May wedding when we got engaged in the fall, I could chose 8 month engagement or 20. I went with 20 we needed it to save up money. But it has also made it easier to book the vendors we want. We spent a few months looking at venues to figure out what we wanted. If we had gone with the shorter engagement we would have had less options and would have felt a lot more pressure to go with one of the first places we looked at. If we had done that we would have found the venue we love. I would say start looking at venues now if you find something and it is available for the 10 months go for it, but if it takes longer to find the right place or everything is booked take your time and enjoy a long engagement.

• A
    Dedicated August 2014
    a.marie ·

We planned our entire wedding in 5 months, and it didn't feel rushed to me! It helps if you at least have an idea of what kind of things you want I suppose. But I would say planning a wedding in 10 months is MORE than doable!!

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·

I was in the exact situation as you. Different times of year, but it was literally 10 months or 22 months. I picked 22. I wish I would have picked 10. I could have done it. But now I am less than two months to go!

• serenity523
    Super June 2014
    serenity523 ·

We planned our wedding in about six months. We had already been engaged for a year and we decided we didn't want to wait until next spring/summer to get married. I think 10 months is plenty of time to plan a wedding, but it's really what you would prefer. Waiting until 2016 would be a perfectly find choice as well.

• Jess D
    VIP May 2015
    Jess D ·

SPRING 2015!!

• Larissa
    Expert June 2015
    Larissa ·

We got engaged November 2013. I thought the same thing: I wanted an early summer wedding: June 2014 or June 2015. That was the question. Lol. We ended up doing 2015 so that I could finish school, and nothing would be rushed. I also was concerned about my grandparents health. So I sent out my save the dates waaayyy early (like January 2014 lol) I did that so that my grandparents would be able to see my happiness even if they couldn't make it to the wedding.

Well sure enough, my grandfather just died a few weeks ago. But I am happy that he at least got to see that I was engaged. And I'm in shock my wedding is already less than a year away. Trust me, time FLIES. So my vote is 22 month

• Lauren
    Super June 2015
    Lauren ·

I say 10 months

• M&M
    VIP August 2015
    M&M ·

From someone with a long (2+ year) engagement--trust me, do 10 months! I would've in a heartbeat if I had the option. 10 months is plenty of time!

• MrsT
    VIP March 2014
    MrsT ·

10 months is perfect. Any more is just too much unless you need time to save the money up.

• Sandra
    VIP July 2014
    Sandra ·

We did 8 and so glad no more. Don't take more time if not needed. You will just drive yourself crazy

• Katie
    Expert August 2014
    Katie ·

I think if you have the budget and you can get the vendors you want (will be easier if you're not set on a specific date), I would go with 10 months. You'll need to get started right away, but it's definitely do-able.

• E
    Master July 2015
    Emma ·

We had the same time frame to decide between. We chose 22 months to save money and have the day we had both dreamed of.

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·

I'm doing 26 months because of grad school stuff and personally I really like it because I'm so busy and our wedding is out of state so it's nice to have time, afford a couple trips to the state we're getting married in, etc. However if I was getting married where I live and didn't have a huge exam this summer I would have probably gotten married this summer. But the long engagement is really nice to take your time, plan when you want, get the vendors you want, have time to find the perfect little details (it took me a year to find decent bridesmaid dresses). I personally enjoy the long engagement. But if you go for that, expect that people won't take you super seriously for a while. So basically I'd just say depending on how busy your life is, you should be good with 10 months still.

Welcome to WW and happy planning!

• KarenM
    Master November 2014
    KarenM ·

We took 2 years, and we're no spring chickens, but we needed to save money before we could get married. I think it all depends on what you can afford right away, although, if FH and I were together for ten years, I would have opted for eloping and getting married as soon as possible.

• A
    Super November 2014
    Alison ·

10 months! You can definitely plan a wedding in that amount of time. I have 14 months and had lots of lounging around time (which then got me anxious!)

• Samantha
    Master May 2013
    Samantha ·

We had the same dilemma. We chose the longer engagement. I think it was a great decision. I loved being engaged and got to enjoy it for awhile before I had to start planning. I could have planned the whole thing in six months, but there was no reason for us to rush it.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·

Do 10! You'll feel rushed at times no matter what and you'll definitely not want to wait another year.

• Kaegurl
    Master June 2014
    Kaegurl ·

10 months is plenty of time. We were engaged Nov. 2013 and married June 2014. We didn't waste any time and honestly all the big things were booked within a month. I had A LOT of time left on my hands until a couple of months before. We were still able to book great, well recommended vendors.

I'm all for shorter engagements. My wedding was perfect and just as I'd always imagined. 22 months will feel like forever! We dated for five years and were ready for the next step. I couldn't have lasted through a longer engagement with - too much time to change your mind about things.

• J
    VIP July 2015
    Jesse's Girl ·

You definitely have time to plan a wedding between now and spring of 2015. I'd recommend waiting until 2016 if you feel you're going to need that extra time to set aside money to pay for everything or if you have a lot of other obligations (school or work) that might take precedence over wedding planning. Either way, you're going to feel like your engagement is taking forever! I understand your concern about wanting your grandparents to be there (and I don't mean this to come across as mean or harsh) but I think they would understand if you decided to wait the extra year on the wedding. My grandfather's health (my last living grandparent) took a rapid turn for the worse shortly after we got engaged and we considered moving up our wedding so he could see me get married. He passed recently, but I'm glad we didn't change the date. He would've been alive to see me married, but it wouldn't have been the wedding we wanted. I know he'll still be there in spirit on my wedding day and I know he'd much rather have me do the wedding the way I want, than to have done it on account of his health. But that's just me. Do whatever you feel is manageable for you and would make you happiest!

Comment on this discussion