michelleb148
Just Said Yes May 2015

Engagement: 10 months or 22 months?

michelleb148, on August 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Posted in Planning 66

Hi all! I'm new Wedding Wire, but I thought this would be a good place to get some immediate advice. I got engaged 2 weeks ago to my boyfriend of over 10 years. I have always dreamed of a Spring wedding, so now I'm a bit stuck - do I go with Spring 2015 or 2016? I feel 2015 would be rush and I would...

Hi all! I'm new Wedding Wire, but I thought this would be a good place to get some immediate advice. I got engaged 2 weeks ago to my boyfriend of over 10 years. I have always dreamed of a Spring wedding, so now I'm a bit stuck - do I go with Spring 2015 or 2016? I feel 2015 would be rush and I would have to get started right away, but 2016 seems so far away and I'm concerned about what our grandparents' health might be over a year from now. Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated!

66 Comments

• kLo
    VIP August 2014
    kLo ·

10 months is totally doable. That said, there are things to consider.

- do you have the budget to pull off the wedding in 10 months, or would an extra year of saving put you in a better place?

- do you have a particular dream venue/photographer, etc? They may be booked for 10 months out.

- Depending on your area, some places and vendors book 1-2 years in advance. Some areas aren't so in demand, so it will be easier to plan.

- Do you feel ready to get married in 10 months, or would you prefer more of a build up? Although, 10 years together is a pretty good build up

If you want opinions, I would choose 10 months myself. I am doing a 12 month engagement (getting married next week!), and it's been plenty of time. I don't know your specific situations though, so think through all of the variables first.

Either way, it sounds like you rare starting to plan for a wedding, so good luck and enjoy it!

• A
    Super November 2014
    annie ·

If you can financially pull it off, and have been together 10 years, clearly not rushing things, I think the shorter engagement is better

• KTizzle
    Master June 2015
    KTizzle ·

Spring 2015 if at all possible, even if you're rushed. As long as you can afford it, do it. Our engagement is going to end up being 17 months overall (still have 10 to go), and we unfortunately have had 3 of our wedding guests pass away. HORRIBLE! I don't mean to be morbid, but if you're concerned about the health of a family member, I'd do it sooner than later.

• rusticbride
    Master May 2014
    rusticbride ·

2015. You still have time if you hop to it. Longer engagements are a pain in the butt.

• Colleen
    Dedicated October 2014
    Colleen ·

We got engaged on November 25th of 2013, so we're planning everything in a little over ten months. And I don't feel rushed! Just make sure you get most of the big stuff out of the way quickly, and the rest will be fine!

• michelleb148
    Just Said Yes May 2015
    michelleb148 ·

Update to all! I have been calling up several venues and I have basically decided if I do 2015, I will have to give up on something. I have a specific area in mind, in or near the beach town where my dad lives, so I have been limiting the venue to withi a 20-30 minute drive from the church there. Many of them have NO Saturdays available and those that do have very limited. Besides that, I am starting to worry about the availability of other good vendors like photographers and bands.

We did visit one place we like and put a hold on a Saturday in August. Unless we visit something that really blows us away and we are willing to wait for, then that is what we will go with! Thanks for all the advice

Comment on this discussion