Brittany
Expert May 2019

Cringe-worthy engagement moments!

Brittany, on December 7, 2018 at 4:17 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 31
Saved Save

I'm sure we've all been there but since you've gotten engaged what are some of the most cringe-worthy moments you've experienced? Here are a few of mine!

-A few weeks ago, I met my step-uncle's fiancée for the first time. My grandmother made a HUGE deal about me showing her my ring because "it's so beautiful!" I love the opportunity to show off my ring but I felt super uncomfortable because this girl is basically a stranger and my grandmother (her FMIL!) didn't mention her showing off her ring at all!

- My aunt asked what my wedding colors were because she wants to match the bridal party. She's also mentioned approximately 859,764 times that I was her MOH when I was 12 (because she was mad at my mom and was being spiteful, let's be honest,) so she should have a role in my wedding. Love ya, but no thanks!

-My dad's side of the family keeps asking which pastor is going to marry us. Things always get real awkward when we say "Oh, J's best friend's mom is our officiant!" We're not a religious couple and said from the beginning that we do not want a religious ceremony. We don't feel that a religious ceremony would be a true reflection of who we are, and we want our wedding day to be about US. That being said, we don't discuss religion with my family and the woman who is officiating is basically a second mom to FH.

31 Comments

• M
    Super November 2019
    Melissa ·
    My most cringeworthy engagement moment is having someone I work with tell me not to marry my husband because we're too young and itll end in a divorce. Then they said they cant wait to tell me "I told you so" if we were ever to divorce.
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow!! Rude much??? My parents were 17 & 23 when they got married. They're still happily married 31 years later!
  • M
    Super November 2019
    Melissa ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Really damn rude. My mistake for thinking everyone will be happy and excited for you when you get engaged or married.
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Ugh. I'm sorry people are so crappy like that. We're excited for you here!!
  • M
    Super November 2019
    Melissa ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you very much. I appreciate that
  • Maggie
    Super February 2019
    Maggie ·
    Kind of similar to your ring story... I was at FMILs house for a get together. One of her friends was there, I had never met her and no one introduced us before she walked over to me and grabbed my left hand going "omg let me see!" And then just kept making weird comments the rest of the time about how I should be flashing my ring around more. I didnt even find out who she was until after we left and I asked FH. Super weird lady.
  • Lizzy
    Super October 2019
    Lizzy ·
    My mom is very religious and we are not at all. Our friends are officiating and she cornered us and told is she is not at all comfortable with that and we need to do precana and have a blessing ceremony before the wedding. I've told her no, that's not us, and she was still telling people last week we were doing that
  • Chelsey
    Devoted July 2019
    Chelsey ·
    -In the beginning, coworkers would tell my FH were too young and don’t get married (mind you we’ve been together for 7 years now and engaged 2 and this all happened AFTER college)

-I have an opinionated aunt who tells me what i should do (food, decor, etc)

-and my dad has multiple times e pressed his dislike for our wedding (not who he would of chose cause e doesn’t like hunting or sports like him and isn’t a “manly man”; he’s into gaming and is much more chill type). But he’s regardless how well
    grs always treated me and how long we’ve been together it doesn’t matter. I guess no one is ever “good enough” in their eyes. And worse, it just makes everything tense, we almost didn’t go to my families holidays this year.
  • Asia
    Dedicated December 2018
    Asia ·
    Only cringeworthy thing would when my coworkers would drop hints to me about how they’d hope they would be invited, who was going or how they’d all be able to go considering there were different shift times. I’m sure I upset some people but I feel like I was going to be the bad guy no matter what, there wasn’t any way to make everyone happy.
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·

At about 7 weeks out from the wedding (and a week after invitations went out) a casual family friend/acquaintance texted FOB/husband to ask "if the invitations had gone out because they hadn't received theirs yet?" Yikes! Luckily, the message went directly to my incredibly blunt husband who texted back, "Yes, they did. Sorry, you're not invited. It's mostly family and the kids' friends." Even husband (who, again, isn't, on his own, the best at etiquette) was embarrassed they did that.... He asked daughter and I, "That's super tacky, right?" LOL! Yes, yes it is....

• Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    First when my stepmom told me I got my dress fitted too early and I should push my date up so I don’t gain weight (they didn’t even alter it just hem and bustle and I’ve been the same weight for ten years). Anyway it’s not her business! Second when we sent my fmil an engagement picture and she said they needed to be redone bc my fiancé (her son) looks too old. He’s 34.
  • Kaleigh
    Expert December 2019
    Kaleigh ·
    My grandmother keeps thinking she is our wedding planner (She is not, not have we asked her to be. 😂) And even though we’re getting married in December we aren’t having a Christmas themed wedding. The most cringe worthy moment was when she tried to convince my FH I wanted a Santa to come to the wedding and we should sit in a sleigh to greet our guests, WITH SANTA!

Thankfully FH knew I did not want that and we handled the situation. She still is trying to convince us to have guests put gifts in the sleigh.

THERE WILL BE NO SLEIGH LOL
  • Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

Whoa! That was completely out of line. I'm so sorry that happened to you!

• Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

That's so awkward! I hate having too much attention on myself anyway and then people acting like that make me even more uncomfortable!

• Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

I completely understand. Good for you for sticking to your guns and making your wedding YOURS, though!

• M
    Super November 2019
    Melissa ·
    View Quoted Comment
    It's alright. Having manners isnt that common anymore.
  • Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

Coworkers are nuts, y'all! Just ignore them

Also, ignore the opinionated aunts lol.

I hate that your dad is treating you all that way! If you're happy and he treats you well it shouldn't matter

• Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

It's so hard to find that happy medium with invites as is! Fortunately my office and FH's offices are tiny, so we only have 5 coworkers between the two of us.

• Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

I love how direct he was with this. That's exactly how my dad would be too! Good for him for knowing it was tacky though lol

• Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

Yikes! I'm sure she was *trying* to be helpful, but definitely not the best way to have that conversation (that you're totally right about, was not her business!)

That wasn't very kind of FMIL- did she say that directly to her own son?!

Comment on this discussion