We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Kerri
Devoted July 2020

Can't imagine spending 275$ on a veil...

Kerri, on August 30, 2013 at 1:41 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 55
Saved Save

When I found my dress, we found a really cute veil. It's 275$...My grandmother offered to pay for it. But Gosh, I can't find any good reason to drop that much on a veil. I found a really cute one on Etsy for 89$ but is it bad of me to think that insane too?!!? I wanna spend like 50$ I just don't understand why they are priced so high?!!? Is that normal??

55 Comments

• Alysa
    VIP April 2014
    Alysa ·
    • Flag

To me that is crazy high. I can't justify spending a lot. I might not even have a veil. But there are ladies that do think it is very important and would probably spend double that on their perfect veil. To each their own I guess.

• Amber
    VIP October 2013
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I just dropped $170 on mine including tax. I THOUGHT I could get away with a cheaper one, but there's seriously not one that looks/feels more right with my dress. It's normal. It's normal because wedding things are expensive. It's also normal because you can tell the difference in the quality of material, bead work, any hand-sewing, etc. If it were me, I would let grandma cover it and show lots of gratitude Smiley smile

• MNA
    Master April 2018
    MNA ·
    • Flag

While it is normal, it all depends on you and what you're comfortable with. I wanted something that matched my dress. I got mine at db, and it was being discontinued, so I got lucky: the matching veil got clearances from $99 to like $25. I would've paid the $99 probably, but I would've grumbled about it for awhile.

• SXC
    VIP November 2013
    SXC ·
    • Flag

I bought mine on etsy but it's plain and cathedral length. I know I'll only have it on for the ceremony and pictures before so I couldn't justify the price but I'm sure I would have spent more if I had a lace dress and wanted it to match. You'll probably end up spending it elsewhere so it's up to you if it's worth it to spend on the veil

• Future Mrs. Coombs
    VIP March 2014
    Future Mrs. Coombs ·
    • Flag

It's normal. I nixed the veil and will be wearing a lace headband with my hair curled and bangs swept to the side

• F
    Dedicated September 2013
    FutureAngell ·
    • Flag

My veil was 250. I hadn't thought I was going to buy a veil at all-- not really my style. However, when I found my dress (and consequently bought it that same day) my sales lady came out with the veil and had me try it on- the veil was MADE for the dress, and I had to buy it.

• Emily
    Expert June 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

I work at a high end department store and even with my discount I rarely shop there. I decided to check out what veils we carried one day and discovered that some of them are more than my dress! ($1,200) So I guess $275 isn't as bad as it gets...I still personally wouldn't spend that but I'm kind of a cheapo and the veil isn't that important to me. If you love it and your grandma wants to get you it I say go for it.

• Private User
    VIP July 2013
    Private User ·
    • Flag

My veil was 300, but it was a gift from my mother in law to be. Like everything about a wedding, there is a ton of variation in what people will spend.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

I decided not to wear a veil, but I couldn't spend $100 on one.

• Mrs. Shanon V
    Master May 2014
    Mrs. Shanon V ·
    • Flag

Mine was 55 and I thought that was steep, and it's elbow length and satin trimmed. I got it at the same shop I bought my dress at.

• Joanna G
    VIP October 2013
    Joanna G ·
    • Flag

I spent about 200 on mine. My mil bought it and we were so wrapped up in the moment that didn't think too much about it. But looking back, I can't believe we just dropped $200 like that

• VivaLaVal
    Devoted September 2014
    VivaLaVal ·
    • Flag

I was unsure if I was going to wear a veil or not. I haven never been extremely fond of them, and with an outdoor wedding, idk what the weather will be like. When I tried on my dress, I also tried some veils, just to see if I liked them. I did like the way they looked, but I just can't get over the fact that it could be windy and my veil would be flying all over the place and might look bad in pictures. The most expensive one that I tried on, was finger tip length with a hand sewn seed bead edge. It was $499. Yikes! My mom paid for my dress and accessories, and offered to pay for my veil, but I just said, "Thanks mom, I appreciate it, but I don't want to waste money on something that I may or may not wear." The most expensive one there, being the cathedral length were as Emily stated, $1200-$1500. Crazy! Do you have a friend that you could borrow from? It could be your "something borrowed." Or, if you are a DIYer, you could make your own. There are a TON of tutorials on the net.

• Emmy Nae
    VIP October 2013
    Emmy Nae ·
    • Flag

I got fine off of etsy. I love it. Its amazing.

• Valerie
    VIP September 2013
    Valerie ·
    • Flag

My veil was $400, but luckily I got it free with the dress.

• Archer_Bride2be
    Super August 2014
    Archer_Bride2be ·
    • Flag

I plan on DIY'ing it! havent started it yet but I've been looking at what stuff to buy. Is the veil one with lace trim or what?

• Belais
    VIP October 2013
    Belais ·
    • Flag

$275 seems a bit high, but that depends on what the veil has on it, etc. I think I spent around $150 on one for my first wedding.

This time around, no veil, but I got some bobby pins with pearls on them that will go in my hair. Smiley smile

• Faeriedance
    Expert August 2014
    Faeriedance ·
    • Flag

Veils are ridiculously expensive. I haven't decided to wear one or not but if I do I am going to be making my own. Super tight budget + super broke + super crafty diy master = super can't justify spending that much money (>50&dollarSmiley winking on a yard of fabric, a comb, and a handful of beads and thread from some super greedy shop when I can make one for about 40 bucks.

• Sarah
    Master August 2014
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I agree with you DB had a beautiful veil but $170 is ridiculous. I have decided to make my own but birdcage (which I feel will work better) and it cost me less than $5! I showed my FH to get his opinion (only part of outfit he will see) and he LOVED it!

• Brianna
    Super July 2014
    Brianna ·
    • Flag

I didn't want a veil but when I tried one with my dress I fell in love! So I bought it, it was 250. I think that is pretty much average.

• Mrs. Pezz
    VIP September 2013
    Mrs. Pezz ·
    • Flag

I got mine for $28 on Amazon!

Comment on this discussion

Related articles