Sharon
Dedicated July 2019

Bride & Groom paying for their own wedding!

Sharon, on February 25, 2019 at 10:36 PM Posted in Planning 0 110
Saved Save
Is it uncommon for the couple to pay for their own wedding?

110 Comments

• Nichole
    Savvy September 2019
    Nichole ·
    • Flag
    Absolutely not. That’s what me and FH are doing and it’s working out just fine. We control the finances and all decisions.
  • Michelle
    Devoted August 2019
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    We are paying for our own wedding
  • Gonnabeaburch
    Super July 2019
    Gonnabeaburch ·
    • Flag
    Totally normal. Ours is coming completely out of our pockets.
  • Sharon
    Dedicated July 2019
    Sharon ·
    • Flag
    I was just wondering I hear some say they are paying while other speak of parents and parents of either sides paying! My partner and I are paying ourselves as well! My father passed I know he would have if he were alive.
  • Phelicia
    Devoted September 2019
    Phelicia ·
    • Flag
    My groom and I are paying for ours.
  • Emma
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    I don't think it's that uncommon. Me and my fiance are paying for our own
  • C
    Expert November 2020
    Casey ·
    • Flag
    It isn't nor should it be. Parents paying is an antiquated tradition that needs to die off imo. It has insulting roots and adults can fund their own parties.
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    • Flag
    I think it's increasingly more common for couples to pay for their own weddings.
    Im paying for some of ig but both of our parents have offered us generous help to pay.
  • Quinta Nikkole
    Dedicated May 2019
    Quinta Nikkole ·
    • Flag
    Mine parents are paying for most of my wedding. But everything else me and my FH are paying fore
  • Chrystal
    Super May 2019
    Chrystal ·
    • Flag
    We are paying for our own wedding
  • Just Said Yes September 2019
    ·
    • Flag
    Now I days I don’t think so. I am paying for my own
  • Futuremrsv
    Super October 2020
    Futuremrsv ·
    • Flag
    Not at all
  • Miluska
    Savvy May 2020
    Miluska ·
    • Flag
    My fiance and I are paying for our wedding. I prefer it that way because we have more freedom to make our own decisions and it does not create any financial burden for our parents. Both of our parents have enough on their plate so we are comfortable taking this on ourselves.
  • Tanya
    Dedicated November 2019
    Tanya ·
    • Flag
    We’re paying for ours. Well technically we were given money from family before, but we had to use it on unforeseen issues with our fixer upper house (stupid money pit). So now we’re paying for the wedding ourselves.
  • Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    Yes, I think it’s uncommon for the bride and groom to pay for their own wedding COMPLETELY! According to statistics, that is the case. Typically, the bride’s parents now pay about 44 percent, the couple pays 42 percent and the groom’s parents pay 13 percent. My FH and I are paying for our wedding completely by ourselves.
    https://www.aarp.org/money/budgeting-saving/info-2017/who-pays-for-the-wedding.html
  • Aubrey
    Dedicated September 2019
    Aubrey ·
    • Flag
    I am paying for mine for the most part. My FHs mom has agreed to chip in for part of the BBQ (we are doing a private ceremony 2 weeks before) and she has a huge family and lots of friends my FH don’t really care either way about so that feels okay to me. Private wedding and that reception are all on my shoulders though.
  • 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

In the time when the bride's parents paid for the wedding, the average age of the couple was 18, and the wedding was typically cake and punch in the church hall. With couples now older, and weddings more elaborate, it is more common for couples to pay for much or all of their weddings.

• Samantha
    Just Said Yes April 2019
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    Unfortunately I don’t think so! Which is hard because weddings are so crazy expensive to do on your own. I just bought my own dress. We are paying for everything. And since we are, we downsized and are keeping it to only our closest friends and family... the ones that have an active role in our lives. Good luck and happy planning!
  • Bride 2019
    Dedicated April 2019
    Bride 2019 ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I are paying 100% ourselves and wouldn’t even think to ask our parents for help
  • Future Mrsclark031420
    Devoted March 2020
    Future Mrsclark031420 ·
    • Flag
    We are paying for our own. Not once did it cross my mine for my parents to pay

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics