Laura
WeddingWire Administrator June 2010

After the Wedding: What was Next?

Laura, on July 24, 2018 at 8:05 PM Posted in Married Life 0 27
Saved Save

This is for those who are already married. Once the wedding planning was over and you had that time and energy freed up, what did you do next? Did you take time to just relax and enjoy being done with planning (and being married, of course!), or did you jump right in and put that focus into something else (maybe a new home, a new job, a new addition to the family)?

After the Wedding: What was Next? 1

27 Comments

• OrangeCrush
    Super October 2017
    OrangeCrush ·
    • Flag
    Changing legal docs to my married name and thank you notes.
  • R
    Dedicated June 2018
    Renee ·
    • Flag
    We bought a house 2 weeks before the wedding (which was almost a month ago), so I’m organizing, cleaning, and figuring out how to deal with a new teenage daughter and my two sons all together with all that. Also I’m learning how to cook what everyone likes (who knew hubby and daughter didn’t eat chicken pot pie?) and getting my name changed. So far it’s ok as long as I’m at home and not working. I have the time to clean and cook. I did a week of work last week and it was chaos! It was good to have a trial run before I go back for half days the first of August and full time mid August. And we may be finally selling my house in the next few weeks so we’ll have to move the last few things out and do all the paperwork for that process. It has NOT been boring lol!
  • OG Gretchen
    Super June 2018
    OG Gretchen ·
    • Flag

We got home from Hawaii and had a long weekend trip 3 weeks later. Did all of my paperwork, and then booked our 1 year anniversary trip to Europe.

• Stephanie
    Devoted July 2018
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

We got back from our honeymoon Sunday and I took yesterday and today off work. Yesterday I did all of our laundry and productive stuff. H had to work and went on a work trip this morning so today I've literally been doing nothing but worked out and binge watched Netflix (should have done thank yous oops). Tomorrow I go back to work. I guess since H will be out of town this week I'll do thank yous and work on changing my name after work the next few days.

• Bride2B
    Expert June 2018
    Bride2B ·
    • Flag

We were busy all the time with lessons, planning, and working out before the wedding. With all our new free time, we both decided to go back to graduate school in the same program to increase our knowledge and human capital, but also for fun! Nothing like a little healthy direct competition to start a marriage off right! Smiley smile

I'm not changing my name (anytime soon) and my work was so thankful for that!

We also need to start thinking about buying a house, start thinking about kids, and maybe book a honeymoon?

• Summer987
    Super May 2018
    Summer987 ·
    • Flag
    We postponed the honeymoon but still took a week off after the wedding to enjoy each other. We purchased a home 2 weeks before getting married. So we were moving before and after the wedding.
  • E
    Expert October 2018
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    Focus on honeymoon, get back, focus on finishing degree, buying a new house in a year so small renovations here and there. Also h bought me a world scratch off mamap Smiley love . My life dream has been to travel everywhere so we're planning/budgeting our future travels
  • Kelly
    Dedicated June 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

We delayed our Honeymoon for 2 months, we leave on August 27th so we have been finalizing/researching dinners, tours and things to do in the cities we will be in. That has kept me busy with continuing to plan because it's weird to have all the wedding planning done and over with! I also will be changing my name when we get back from the honeymoon but other then that it's life and work as normal. We love every second of it!

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

Technically we are already married but our big ceremony isn't till Oct lol but once that is over we are going to start planning a honeymoon!

• Malwen107
    VIP October 2018
    Malwen107 ·
    • Flag

Taking some time to enjoy being married, work on some financial goals, and then maybe a fur baby and a bigger apartment!!

• Josh & Justine
    Super May 2018
    Josh & Justine ·
    • Flag

We went on our minimoon and honeymoon, and now I'm knee-deep in the process of changing my name on 213402384239428 different things, lol.

I'm holding off on doing thank you notes until we get our photos back from the photographer; I want to order cards with a picture from the wedding on them.

• Krista
    Devoted June 2018
    Krista ·
    • Flag
    We've been married for three weeks now and of course it has been fantastic! I'm lucky I'm a teacher and this is the first summer I have ever almost fully taken off. I did this originally for the wedding but it has helped me a ton. We've already been living together for about two years but never took the time to fully organize and find everything a place. Now, from the wedding, we have so many awesome new things that has been a big project for me. We also decided to run our first marathon so training for that is a big focus also. I just got my thank yous in so I need to get started on those as well!
  • S
    Devoted June 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    Been married a month now..been getting my name changed and working on thank you cards. Seems like work got so busy after I got back. We make sure we still do weekly dates to catch up and have that time together since we both are so busy during the week.
  • Charis
    Devoted June 2018
    Charis ·
    • Flag

I'm still in the process of changing names.. Ugh... Stupid DMV test...

And we are trying for a baby!!!

• S
    Savvy June 2018
    Sulma ·
    • Flag
    Hello all and congrats!

We actually got married through the state first in January and just a few weeks ago we had our church ceremony and reception. The day after we came home from our honeymoon in Iceland we packed up our place to get it ready for renovations. We are in our second week now and hopefully will be done before we both go back to school/work in the fall. My plan is to tack on his last name if and when we have a child so I don't have to worry about that atm jeje.
  • L
    Beginner September 2017
    Lea ·
    • Flag

I relaxed and enjoyed being married and really happy all my planning and hard work paid off, but SOOO happy to be done with all the wedding planning. I did some things while relaxing, like getting my name changed (who knew that would be another hard thing that takes a lot more time than I thought it would). Writing the rest of my thank you cards. I took a good month and than I started trying to get my house uncluttered and organized (which I'm still doing)

• KarenO
    Master June 2018
    KarenO ·
    • Flag

We went on our honeymoon for a week, then had 2 days to recover from it by ourselves. My first task after that was tackling the "wedding room" and now I'm working on other things that I neglected around the house while wedding planning.

I felt like I would have so much extra time, but I still don't feel like there's enough time in the day to do everything.

• Maren
    Champion October 2021
    Maren ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Aww! Smiley heart That's sweet, a next big adventure & new trip to look forward to Smiley heart Love it! Congrats on your marriage & I hope you had a lovely honeymoon.

• Liana
    VIP March 2017
    Liana ·
    • Flag

After the wedding, we went on a honeymoon. After the honeymoon, we sent out our thank you cards. After that we moved to another place.

• Dolores
    Just Said Yes June 2018
    Dolores ·
    • Flag
    We didn’t do a honeymoon yet, focusing right now on changing my name and getting our house in order, we bought a fixer upper with lots of work ahead of us! I hope everyone is enjoying married life as much as me and my HUSBAND are! I’m so obsessed with calling him my hubby Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics