Sugarcoat It Studio Reviews

5 | Berkeley, CA

5 Reviews for Sugarcoat It Studio

Marina · Married on 09/26/2009

Krista made a fabulous creation for my wedding cake. It captured the look and feel of the entire wedding; unique, chic and modern. She incorporated my wedding invitation in the design, added a few special elements...and on top of that, it was delicious! She was easy to work with and I can't thank her enough for her efforts in making my wedding special.
    Marina

Sent on 10/05/2009

Jessica · Married on 08/22/2009

Once I saw Sugar Coat It's work on the Wedding Chicks blog and I saw that she was local, I jumped at the chance to contact her. I'm an artist myself, specifically a vector artist, so when I see graphic art, I'm immediately intrigued.

Her portfolio of work spoke for itself. She took great care in her work and it was so detailed and flawless. (I check for lumpy, cracked fondant, a note for your bakers out there.) My cake couldn't just be a cake, but a work of art.

The tasting was done at her home, she only had three flavors available. But it was enough... because she had chocolate. I'm sold. She had mini cakes and they were all delicious! They came in lemon, coconut and chocolate. The buttercream was light and not greasy! She was kind enough to send us 3 more samples to take home!

During the consultation she drew roughs on the spot, and made a few more after we left. Though I am sure I drove her crazy with all my impossible requests! She handled the detail oriented bridezilla with grace! The end result was a design I loved! My cake was definitely unique and I am proud to show it off. I'm sure it was a an ordeal to create, but it got done and on-time. No disasters!

My wedding cake was not to be forgotten with the guests. In the sea of memories of white cakes, they all know mine was the blue and brown one with the skyline on it!

Krista was thoughtful and made a separate layer for us to take home! Thank you, it was much needed because there wasn't any cake left over from the actual cake! I didn't save it for the 1 year anniversary cause I don't leave cake just sitting around, especially not delicious moist chocolate cake!
    I wanted to have her bake another cake for our anniversary but it looks like she's taking a break. Hopefully she'll be available again for you Bay Area brides. Her work is unique, I haven't found another local baker who does graphic work like her and is affordable!

Sent on 08/16/2011

Trish · Married on 12/13/2008

The service at Sugarcoat It Studio was great.They were always very professional.They sat down with us to design the perfect cake.They executed the design just as I requested and the cake was a big hit at our wedding.The price was reasonable,and everything arrived on time.Couldn't recommend them enough.

Sent on 05/15/2009

Leslie · Married on 11/18/2006

Krista Markell's Sugarcoat is Studio made my wedding! After looking at cookie cutter bland white on white cakes or cakes festooned with flowers that nearly drove me to tears, Krista showed me that cakes can be elegant and charming and full of personality and be a true reflection of my wedding. She took a half hour conversation, my wedding invitation and photos of the reception space and turned it into the perfect summary of our art deco dance inspired wedding. Every time people saw the cake for the first time, they gasped at how just lovely it was.

And did I tell you how utterly amazing the cake tasted? THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE PIECE LEFT OVER!!! People came back for seconds! I've been to dozens of weddings and have never seen that before! Coconut and chocolate layers--mmmm... so good! It was so good that three people asked for Krista's information after I returned from the honeymoon.

And Krista is a total dear. She was incredibly professional, a breeze for my wedding coordinator to work with. She even lent me her family art deco silver cake platter for the event because she said it was just such a perfect fit.

This is one area that I'm glad I spent the extra money on, because the cake became a symbol of the whole wonderful night and our favorite photos from the whole wedding were always around the cake.

Sent on 10/17/2008

Koustuv · Married on 05/05/2009

Very fancy and exceptional cakes.

Sent on 05/12/2009