18 Reviews for Grand Isle Lake House

House Liquor (1)
Specialty Beer (1)
Specialty Wine (1)
18 Grand Isle Lake House Reviews

Our wedding at the Grand Isle Lake House was amazing! The house and grounds are absolutely gorgeous, like something out of a movie. The location is tucked away enough that it gives a private party that intimate feeling without being too far from anything. We had our rehearsal dinner as well as our ceremony and reception at the Grand Isle Lake House. Both dinners were fabulous and tasted fantastic! The guests loved the food so much that even after a few weeks, our guests are still raving about the food. What made everything perfect was the staff. Everyone on staff (I literally mean every member of staff) was fantastic. Sue and Sheryl were a pleasure to work with throughout the entire process, especially during the planning phase which made wedding planning a breeze. During our stay the entire staff was friendly, accommodating, helpful, and overall just great people who truly care about their guests. They went above and beyond to make our stay special. There is no better venue than the Grand Isle Lake House. We highly recommend it.

Profile Picture Brandi, 7/29/17, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Altar/Arches, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Tables, Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'Oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Stations, Accommodations, Clean Up, Event Planning, Set Up, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Liquor, House Wine, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Specialty Beer, Specialty Wine, Parking, Wheelchair Access

My husband and I recently got married at the Grand Isle Lake House in Vermont but live in Illinois. We had do to most of our planning through email or over the phone. Getting into contact with Sue Bumbeck, the Grand Isle Lake House's wedding planner was so easy. She is so personable and knowledgeable to work with through email and on the phone. She made it so easy to plan our wedding even being states away.
We stayed the night at the lake house the night before our wedding. Everything was wonderful, it felt like a home away from home. We had our ceremony on the lawn by the arbor with the wonderful view of the lake in the background. Sue also had a 'back up' plan in case it were to rain on our wedding day.
We then had dinner on the wrap around porch. We also worked with Sheryl on our menu and we couldn't have been happier with our choices. Everything was absolutely delicious, most of our guests went back up to the buffet for seconds it was so good. The staff was also so amazing and friendly.
Our wedding at the Grand Isle Lake House was perfect in every way! I cannot recommend them enough!!

Profile Picture Meredith, 6/8/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Uncovered Outdoor, Altar/Arches, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Tables, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Bartender(s), Open Bar, Accommodations, Clean Up, Event Planning, Set Up, Buffet, Hors d'Oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Stations

Really wonderful venue, with exceptional service. I'm the calmest bride there ever was!

Update: My wedding was this summer. Sue, Sheryl, and the whole team made everything so easy. After a quick meeting with them to go over the details and menu planning, Sheryl had planned out the PERFECT menu for us. We didn't need to make any changes- it's like she read our minds. Sue has been a wealth of knowledge, and had put us in touch with several of our vendors. I can't recommend this venue enough.

The wedding itself was flawless- we stayed at the Lake House the whole weekend, and it not only felt like home, but it was also the most beautiful, relaxed, and picturesque venue possible. We're getting compliments from everyone about how it was the best wedding they ever attended, that the staff was wonderful, and that the food was easily the best wedding food they had ever had. My wife and I were even able to try all of the food, thanks to Super Sue, the wedding coordinator. I keep wanting to go back and re-live the day over and over again, and am really grateful that we found such a special place.

I cannot recommend this location enough- if I had my way, every single one of my friends would book their weddings there, so I could could return weekend after weekend.

Profile Picture Melina, 8/6/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My wedding has been booked at the Grand Isle Lake House for next summer and I am already so impressed with the promptness, friendliness and ease of mind that Sue has provided. I cannot wait to visit the site again and start getting into wedding details! She and the team have made the planning seem laid back and easy and that is exactly what I am looking for in a venue "personality".

Profile Picture Emily, 6/4/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

If there’s a more beautiful location to have a wedding than the Grand Isle Lake House, we have no idea what it could be! The lakeside, rural setting on a small peninsula provided the perfect setting for our wedding. It was peaceful and private, which allowed for a cozy and relaxed atmosphere, while also remaining elegant and beautiful.

We had a ceremony on the lawn, with the lake in the background. It was a gorgeous setting for such a meaningful moment. Followed by cocktails and hors d’oeuvres on the grounds, and then dinner on the wrap around porch. We loved having dinner on the porch as it allowed our guests to continue to enjoy the scenery and be in the outdoors (the GILH has isinglass flaps in case of rain). The food was delicious, and all of the staff members were attentive and provided excellent service!
We ended the evening in the dance room, which was just the right size for dancing. Guests who weren’t dancing were able to continue mingling on the porch and grounds, which included a late night campfire down by the lake.

We have to tell you about the wedding coordinator, Sue Bumbeck! She helped make our wedding exactly what we wanted it to be. She was friendly, personable, and consistently communicative! From the very beginning, she answered an endless barrage of questions with expertise, kindness, and ease. Not missing any of the fine details, her first priority is the bride and groom and she looks after them in every way. By the end of it all, Sue became a friend! We highly recommend her and the Grand Isle Lake House for your wedding!

Profile Picture User6993109, 1+ year ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning

Amazing location, beautiful venue, great service. Our wedding was a huge success. Thanks!

Profile Picture Cody, 8/24/13, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Grand Isle Lake House was everything we wanted in our wedding--classic elegance set against the stunning backdrop of Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains. The staff at the Lake House are wonderful and help through all the anxiety filled details--from table settings, finding the perfect menu, and ensuring that everything comes together seamlessly on your wedding day. We were able to rent the lake house (including 15 guest rooms) for two nights, so we had the venue to ourselves for the weekend. It gave the event a much more intimate feel than many weddings where you rent a space for 4-6 hours. This is an exceptional place.

Profile Picture Kathleen, 6/18/11, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning

We first went to see the lake house in the middle of winter while everything was covered in snow, and the temp was somewhere around -10. Somehow we instantly fell in love and knew that was where we wanted to get married. The Lake House and the Staff are AMAZING! The majority of our guests came from out of town, and they all raved about how wonderful everything was from the location, to the food, to the general atmosphere. Everything about our wedding was perfect. We rented out the rooms upstairs for our family members. It was a great way to allow our families to get to know each other a bit better, and it allowed us to spend time with all of the people we love most. We could not have done it without the help of Sue, Sheryl, Phil, and the rest of the lake house staff. Everyone was friendly, and very helpful.

Profile Picture Jessica, 9/11/10, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Lake House is beautiful and everything went to plan thanks to the coordinator there, Sue. Ours was a destination wedding so for months I peppered her with emails about any little detail that came to mind. Sue was always quick to respond and helped my planning immensely. At the rehearsal, I dropped off no less than a dozen boxes of decorations with her, gave her minimal info on what to do with them, and she just ran with it. On the day of the wedding everything
was done for me and I didn't have to worry about any of it. In fact my
attendants were all sitting around having lunch after their hair was done, and they said, do we need to go do anything? But Sue and her staff were all set. We had an extremely windy wedding day so decorations and tables needed to be moved at the last minute, but still no stress. We loved the lake view that our guests got to take in during our ceremony, and dinner being served on the porch was a big selling point for us as well. Everyone retreated into the ballroom after dinner because of the wind, but there was more than enough room
for about 90 people to sit or stand for the spotlight dances & dessert service. I also loved the fact that there were cozy rooms throughout the house for the wedding party to get ready in. I didn't want my hair and makeup done until the last minute, and the guys didn't want to have to arrive in their suits, so they changed when they arrived and I was sequestered in a suite upstairs with my stylist. Our guests also loved the fact there are multiple seating areas around the house. One of my attendants had her baby with her who slept all night in his stroller in the living room area, away from the loud music. And throughout the evening she was able to take him upstairs to change and feed him in the room where we got ready. The fireplace by the bar area was another spot where people gathered. It was a very laid back evening, not rushed or overly scheduled like some weddings. And at the end of the night, all our decorations were completely packed up by the staff and ready to go so we didn't have to make time to go back and get them on Sunday. The staff is really incredible. I should have mentioned first off that the food is awesome! It's like eating at a 5 star restaurant. We heard so many great things about the food from local people before the wedding, so even though we couldn't do a tasting (their kitchen is closed all winter), we met with the chef a few months before the wedding and were confident the food would be excellent. There's not one bad thing I can say about this place and my husband and I look forward to visiting the Lake House again for concerts next summer and maybe to stay overnight!

Profile Picture User885311, 2+ years ago, 15 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Sue did an excellent job managing our event down to the last minute requests and minor details. Sheryl and Phil customized our wedding menu perfectly. The rest of the staff was friendly and courteous. The rooms and the views are stunning. This is a truly a one of a kind location!

Profile Picture Heather, 8/1/09, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Grand Isle Lake House is an ideal place to host an event, especially a wedding. It nestled in a picturesque part of the Champlain Islands and overlooks Lake Champlain as well as the Green Mountains. Sue Bumbeck, the wedding coordinator, is a phenomenal planner and even got married at the Lake House herself. She helped make our wedding day as perfect as possible and we will be eternally grateful to her for her services. We highly recommend the Grand Isle Lake House. You will not regret the decision. But book now because it is a highly sought after venue.

Profile Picture Paul, 7/25/09, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Every thing at the Lake House was just perfect. Sue was fantastic and they really made us feel so special. They were so nice and willing to help us have the best day. They really made us feel a part of their family. I would recomend this place to everyone. It was so beautiful.

Profile Picture Jenny, 7/25/09, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We have been told repeatedly by numerous guests that our wedding was the best that they have ever been to, and I have no doubt that it is due to Sue, Sheryl, and the entire staff at the Grand Isle Lake House. We had our rehearsal dinner, ceremony, and reception at the Lake House, and rented out the rooms for the wedding party and our immediate families. The location is exceptionally beautiful, and the service and food is of the best quality. As an out of town bride, I found the Grand Isle Lake House to be the best location we could have chosen: our site, wedding planner, caterer, and rentals all came from one place and were perfectly orchestrated. Everything felt completely personalized, and it always seemed to me that Sue and Sheryl were open to being as involved as I wanted them to be. Their experience and relationships with my other vendors was invaluable.

Profile Picture Caroline, 6/27/09, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Event Rentals & Photobooths, Wedding Planning

We couldn't have asked for a better venue in Vermont. Sue the coordinator was kind and always on top of things. Every little detail we asked for was perfect. Sheryl, the head cook was also amazing. We asked for a local and seasonal menu and had an AMAZING reception. Getting to have the Lake House for the whole weekend was a treat for my family and guests (they provide a wonderful breakfast for everyone as well) and the kids loved having the small peninsula to run around on.

Profile Picture Mia, 6/20/09, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Sue and Sheryl at the GILH were exceptional--extrememly helpful, flexible, attentive, and profressional. The GILH is a beautiful venue with breathtaking views of Lake Champlain and just enough rooms that our entire wedding party was able to spend the night right there.

Profile Picture mary, 10/11/08, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Grand Isle Lake House was wonderful in every way. We had both our ceremony and reception there and also rented the rooms in the house for us and our families. They also provided the food for our rehearsal dinner and the reception as well as wedding planning services. The staff were wonderful and ensured that everything went exactly as we wanted it to, the grounds and rooms were beautiful, and the food was AMAZING.
The only downsides are that it did end up being fairly expensive (though cheaper than all comparable places we looked at) and the lack of air conditioning made prolonged dancing a bit uncomfortable. But overall, FANTASTIC!

Profile Picture Lucy, 7/6/08, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning

many of our guest commented that our wedding was one of the nicest they had ever been to. The GILH was a great spot.

Profile Picture Ben, 6/28/08, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Unique Services (Other)