The Block Party

Ann Arbor, MI 48113 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 15

About The Block Party

I AM NOT going to tell corny jokes on the mic
I AM NOT going to play trance at your wedding!
I AM NOT GOING TO PLAY DESPERATE CRAPPY ANYTHING!
I AM NOT going to be an ego driven “artist” and only play what “I” want to hear
I AM NOT going to be a stereotypical wedding DJ!
I AM NOT going to play thug hip hop at your dinner (unless of course…)
I AM NOT going to play ipods/cds

I AM gonna play VINYL (remember that format?)
I AM going to play the perfect music for the mood of the people in attendance.
I AM going to be able to read the crowd and build the energy accordingly.
I AM going to seamlessly blend from dinner to dance party

I AM going to be a great MC and keep the night flowing smoothly

I AM going to coordinate with your other vendors
I AM going to make you dance your ass off
I AM going to make you laugh
I AM going to make you cry
I AM going to make your friends jealous.
I AM going to create lifelong memories…

Follow The Block Party on

The Block Party 3
The Block Party 4
  • Nicole

Nicole Johnson · Married on 01/19/2019

Do not hesitate to book!

To say that our experience with Derek was stellar is an understatement! From our first meeting with him we instantly felt like we had found someone that we could trust. He was friendly, professional, knowlegable and instantly had ideas to make our wedding day music unique. At our final meeting before the wedding, he wanted to hear all of our ideas! He wanted to know what WE wanted! On the day of, Derek was on time and checking on not only his set up, but also coordinated with the venue and photographer as well. In addition, he checked on the bridal party as well to help keep everyone in track. Which to me was unexpected but extremely helpful! The music itself was amazing - we received so many compliments and positive feedback about how much fun everyone was having! He even played a custom Backstreet Boys mix for me (I’m a lifelong fan) and the crowd was LOVING it!! Honestly, can I do this all over again just so I can enjoy the music? Loved it. The service was beyond what I could have ever expected and I would recommend The Block Party over and over! Thank you!!!

Sent on 01/24/2019
  • Matt

Matt · Married on 01/05/2019

Absolutely Incredible

Going into my wedding, I told my now-wife that I cared about 2 things for our wedding: the food and the music. So, I took it upon myself to find us a quality DJ. We ended up going with Derek and we are SO glad that we did.

It's no secret that a lot of wedding DJ's aren't great. More often than not, you're going with someone who is just pressing play on a playlist, ruining the flow of the night with too many slow songs, playing the looooongest songs in their entirety, getting on the mic too often, etc. I wanted to find a REAL DJ who would be able to keep the party going and allow us to have as much fun as possible.

Needless to say, Derek delivered. From the moment I reached out, I knew he was exactly what I was looking for. First and foremost, he is just a genuinely great guy, which is always good to have during such an important event. But he also took this gig very seriously, asking all of the right questions, and being the perfect MC for the night to keep things moving on our timeline that we gave him. On the music side of things, he actually spins vinyl and is able to mix songs into each other, which is pretty rare to find in a wedding DJ. Rest assured, he's not just pressing play and hitting next. He is fully involved in the music, and put together some really memorable transitions and mixes that everyone loved.

I put a lot of trust in Derek going into our event, and I was not disappointed. We gave him songs that we wanted to hear, but we mostly just gave him ideas of the type of music we like and let him run with that. Being a great DJ, Derek was able to keep the party moving and played music based on our crowd and what they responded to. My wedding was totally unique (we went from 90s hiphop to Moana) because it was exactly what our crowd called for- if you book Derek, you will get a completely different experience, catered to you and your wedding.

I can't say enough great things about Derek. As the groom, I didn't have a lot of strong opinions on aspects of the wedding, but I did care about the music, and I could not have asked for a better outcome. I'm very fortunate we found Derek and I highly recommend him for your wedding! If you want your wedding to be fun, and you want your DJ to not be terrible, you can stop searching :]

Sent on 01/14/2019
  • Alayne

Alayne Sgarro · Married on 12/28/2018

Incredible!

Derek was absolutely the best choice we could have made for a DJ on our big day. My husband and I traveled from out of town for our ceremony to Dayton, OH and Derek has a special connection to the city. He was more than willing to travel - over the busy Christmas holiday - to join us and provide us with his amazing talent. We had a small, intimate, family wedding with only about 40 people and he was able to make the room feel so full. He made the day flow so well and has this intuitive ability to play what songs he feels will go with the moments. We had many kidddos at the reception and he made sure to not only play fun songs for them but also involved them in the DJing! They certainly had a blast! He was even able to play my grandparent's first dance song on an original 33 so we could give them a moment where they seemed to just float back in time. It moved all in the room to tears. Derek, to say you made our day a special one is the grossest understatement of the century. I cannot thank you enough for everything you did for us on our day, it will not be forgotten. You are so incredibly talented, thank you so very much for sharing that with us!

Sent on 02/24/2019

The Block Party FAQ

• What is the starting price for wedding DJ services? $ 1,900.00
  • What music genres do you specialize in? Electronic, Hip Hop, International, Jazz, Oldies, Pop, R&B/Soul, Rock, Top 40
  • What services do you offer? Do-Not-Play List, Liability Insurance, MC, One Event Per Day
  • What additional equipment do you offer? Microphones, Sound/PA System

• Sarah Amelia Photography
    Sarah Amelia Photography Wedding Photographers

Derek is awesome at what he does, and he will keep the party going all night. You can tell the time and care he puts into each event. At our last wedding I couldn't stop singing or dancing along myself and I'm the wedding photographer :)

• Beautiful Day Planning
    Beautiful Day Planning Wedding Planners

The best DJ in the business...hands down!

• Ann Arbor See on map
    2487362760 (Other Phone Number)