201 E Liberty St Suite 4,, Ann Arbor, MI 48113 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 19

About The Block Party

I AM NOT going to tell corny jokes on the mic
I AM NOT going to play trance at your wedding!
I AM NOT GOING TO PLAY DESPERATE CRAPPY ANYTHING!
I AM NOT going to be an ego driven “artist” and only play what “I” want to hear
I AM NOT going to be a stereotypical wedding DJ!
I AM NOT going to play thug hip hop at your dinner (unless of course…)
I AM NOT going to play ipods/cds

I AM gonna play VINYL (remember that format?)
I AM going to play the perfect music for the mood of the people in attendance.
I AM going to be able to read the crowd and build the energy accordingly.
I AM going to seamlessly blend from dinner to dance party

I AM going to be a great MC and keep the night flowing smoothly

I AM going to coordinate with your other vendors
I AM going to make you dance your ass off
I AM going to make you laugh
I AM going to make you cry
I AM going to make your friends jealous.
I AM going to create lifelong memories…

If you're interested in our work, please head over to our site, check out our mixes, pricing info, and we'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Follow The Block Party on

The Block Party 3
The Block Party 4

Liz · Married on 07/27/2019

Amazing is an understatement

Derek is not one of the best, he is the best. From speedy replies to coffee meet up’s, Derek surpassed expectations. He didn’t work for me, he worked with me and helped throw down an epic wedding. His presence was memorable and meaningful. Our first dance song was “the wonder of you” from the Big Little Lies soundtrack. Not only did he buy it on vinyl he allowed my husband to set it up and then gave us the album at the end. We are currently getting the vinyl framed. It’s touches like this that can’t be matched. Thanks again Derek, these memories you help create are memories for a lifetime.

Sent on 08/08/2019
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 06/08/2019

Our Dance Floor was FULL

I heard about Derek through my photographer, who recommended him after we talked a bit about how we wanted our wedding to be. I am sooooo glad I listened and looked Block Party up because they were exactly what we were looking for.

Derek was so fun to work with and even drove down to Toledo for an in-person meeting. He worked with us on getting some weird cuts of songs for the processional, didn’t bat an eye when we changed some things two nights before, and offered suggestions when we had no clue what we wanted.

The day of he was always right there to move things along and make sure everything was how we wanted it. After dinner hit, our dance floor was full the entire night - exactly what I had hoped for. It was an amazing mix of everything we wanted and more! We’ve received a waterfall of compliments.

I actually had enjoyed the experience of working with him so much, I let my best friend know about Block Party as well (before our wedding even happened) so I had the fortune of attending another wedding with Derek as a DJ about a month after our own! I can tell you from experience he is consistent in packing dance floors and just as genuine and friendly a second time around :)

Sent on 08/01/2019
  • Nicole

Nicole Johnson · Married on 01/19/2019

Do not hesitate to book!

To say that our experience with Derek was stellar is an understatement! From our first meeting with him we instantly felt like we had found someone that we could trust. He was friendly, professional, knowlegable and instantly had ideas to make our wedding day music unique. At our final meeting before the wedding, he wanted to hear all of our ideas! He wanted to know what WE wanted! On the day of, Derek was on time and checking on not only his set up, but also coordinated with the venue and photographer as well. In addition, he checked on the bridal party as well to help keep everyone in track. Which to me was unexpected but extremely helpful! The music itself was amazing - we received so many compliments and positive feedback about how much fun everyone was having! He even played a custom Backstreet Boys mix for me (I’m a lifelong fan) and the crowd was LOVING it!! Honestly, can I do this all over again just so I can enjoy the music? Loved it. The service was beyond what I could have ever expected and I would recommend The Block Party over and over! Thank you!!!

Sent on 01/24/2019

The Block Party FAQ

• What is the starting price for wedding DJ services? $ 1,900.00
  • What music genres do you specialize in? Electronic, Hip Hop, International, Jazz, Oldies, Pop, R&B/Soul, Rock, Top 40
  • What services do you offer? Do-Not-Play List, Liability Insurance, MC, One Event Per Day
  • What additional equipment do you offer? Microphones, Sound/PA System

• Sarah Amelia Photography
    Sarah Amelia Photography Wedding Photographers

Derek is awesome at what he does, and he will keep the party going all night. You can tell the time and care he puts into each event. At our last wedding I couldn't stop singing or dancing along myself and I'm the wedding photographer :)

• Beautiful Day Planning
    Beautiful Day Planning Wedding Planners

The best DJ in the business...hands down!

• 201 E Liberty St Suite 4, Ann Arbor, MI, 48113 See on map
    2487362760 (Other Phone Number)