The Block Party Reviews

59 | Ann Arbor, MI

59 Reviews for The Block Party

• Alexander

Alexander Furnas · Getting married on 03/04/2021

A DJ that can throw a great party

Derek from Block Party was a fantastic DJ and helped us throw a kick ass party for our wedding. Yesterday was our 1 year anniversary, and we spent it dancing around our house to the recording of our wedding dance party set that he DJed for us. He is super professional, hardworking and reliable, but also kind and excellent person. He went beyond what we could have hoped for, and even gave us a framed record of our first dance song. We had some special requests (including rehearsal dinner karaoke), and he made our vision a reality. Block Party's pricing is fair and totally transparent -- no extra fees or nickel and dime charges for extra services. And, while they wasn't the cheapest option we looked at, the Block Party felt like a total bargain given the quality of service we got. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Sent on 04/28/2020

Ashleigh Sypniewski · Married on 07/10/2020

Derek was our wedding DJ

Amazing! He listened to us, gave amazing advice. He paid attention to the party and what was going on. Zero dead time. Great transitions between songs. Amazing to work with and super accommodating.

Sent on 10/26/2019
  • Stu

Stu Andrzejewski · Married on 02/12/2020

An Excellent Dancing and Gaming Explosion!

Derek was recommended by a friend and co-worker who knew that I was starting to look for vendors for my wedding. I can say, without a doubt, that without Derek, our wedding would never have been the smash hit it was!

Right from the get-go, Derek was very responsive and extremely excited to help make our wedding the style of wedding that we and our guests could enjoy. He helped us with both our ceremony and reception. My wife and I have more unique tastes in music, so we provided some examples of music we personally enjoyed and gave Derek free reign to mix and sample songs at will. Derek was fantastic at the DJ table all night and our guests loved his work, along with us.

One special request we had, that was not music related, was to add a more personal touch of mine and my wife’s personality into our reception. This touch of personality was to setup video game stations in our reception hall (opposite the dance floor) and have multiplayer video games (Mario Kart) available for our guests who may not be as up for, or just needed a break from dancing. Derek went above and beyond to help us craft the perfect setup for our gaming stations and they were a huge hit with our families and friends!

Throughout the entire process, Derek was extremely responsive and helpful! Never at any point we were concerned that the music and games we had planned would not turn out amazing. We can’t thank Derek enough for helping create great memories of our wedding day that will last us a lifetime!

Sent on 12/22/2019
  • Victoria

Victoria · Married on 12/31/2019

Dance Floor was Packed All Night!

Derek and Wes brought the party to our wedding, and it didn't stop until the lights came on! From the beginning, Derek was incredibly warm and genuine, wanting to learn about us and all of our plans for our day, as well as the music we liked. It is immediately apparent that Derek and Wes love what they do and love sharing their craft with folks! I The dance floor was packed all night, and they were both adept at reading the room and mixing it up so everyone heard what they wanted. I had several guests comment on the music and ask for their information, which I was happy to give. I would recommend The Block Party to anyone trying to make their event memorable!

Sent on 01/09/2020

Alison Glinski · Married on 10/05/2019

Get ready to dance your pants off!

Derek did such a great job of keeping everyone going on the dance floor that we ended up keeping the party going even after the dancing timeframe we had drawn up for the night! It was so easy to work with Derek (he felt like just another friend we should have invited to our wedding anyways!) on how we were going to keep the night fun and he did a GREAT job being the voice of the night. Highly recommend!

Sent on 11/10/2019
  • Alec

Alec Cahaney · Married on 08/10/2019

Derek was amazing!!

Derek was super helpful in helping direct the wedding night. From entrance to last dance, he kept the vibe right were it needed to be. He also communicated with us prior, during, and after the wedding to make sure we were happy at all times. Throughout the night we would check on us to make sure we were doing good and needed anything. He even had an emergency kit for a dress on hand! I would recommend Derek to anyone looking for a great DJ (10/10 would recommend!)

Sent on 08/25/2019

Liz · Married on 07/27/2019

Amazing is an understatement

Derek is not one of the best, he is the best. From speedy replies to coffee meet up’s, Derek surpassed expectations. He didn’t work for me, he worked with me and helped throw down an epic wedding. His presence was memorable and meaningful. Our first dance song was “the wonder of you” from the Big Little Lies soundtrack. Not only did he buy it on vinyl he allowed my husband to set it up and then gave us the album at the end. We are currently getting the vinyl framed. It’s touches like this that can’t be matched. Thanks again Derek, these memories you help create are memories for a lifetime.

Sent on 08/08/2019

Paul · Married on 07/12/2019

DJ Wes is awesome.

We hired The Block Party for our wedding and couldn't be happier. Wes did an incredible job building a consistent vibe off of our somewhat eclectic musical tastes. He kept things flowing very smoothly from before the ceremony through the end of the night. He was enthusiastic about tailoring all of the music to our personalities, and it was evident. We've gotten a lot of compliments about how fun our wedding was, and Wes really brought all of it together. Can't recommend highly enough!

Sent on 08/25/2019
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 06/08/2019

Our Dance Floor was FULL

I heard about Derek through my photographer, who recommended him after we talked a bit about how we wanted our wedding to be. I am sooooo glad I listened and looked Block Party up because they were exactly what we were looking for.

Derek was so fun to work with and even drove down to Toledo for an in-person meeting. He worked with us on getting some weird cuts of songs for the processional, didn’t bat an eye when we changed some things two nights before, and offered suggestions when we had no clue what we wanted.

The day of he was always right there to move things along and make sure everything was how we wanted it. After dinner hit, our dance floor was full the entire night - exactly what I had hoped for. It was an amazing mix of everything we wanted and more! We’ve received a waterfall of compliments.

I actually had enjoyed the experience of working with him so much, I let my best friend know about Block Party as well (before our wedding even happened) so I had the fortune of attending another wedding with Derek as a DJ about a month after our own! I can tell you from experience he is consistent in packing dance floors and just as genuine and friendly a second time around :)

Sent on 08/01/2019

Adrian Hoffer · Married on 05/25/2019

The best DJ

Derek did a phenomenal job at our wedding! He met with us several times beforehand and got to know us and our unconventional venue. He not only provided music for our reception but also tailored music for our ceremony and our cocktail hour where he played our personal record collection. He kept the dance floor moving all night, he was a great person to have on our side and our team! We couldn’t recommend The Block Party more! Can’t wait to hire them again for our next special event.

Sent on 01/08/2020
  • Nicole

Nicole Johnson · Married on 01/19/2019

Do not hesitate to book!

To say that our experience with Derek was stellar is an understatement! From our first meeting with him we instantly felt like we had found someone that we could trust. He was friendly, professional, knowlegable and instantly had ideas to make our wedding day music unique. At our final meeting before the wedding, he wanted to hear all of our ideas! He wanted to know what WE wanted! On the day of, Derek was on time and checking on not only his set up, but also coordinated with the venue and photographer as well. In addition, he checked on the bridal party as well to help keep everyone in track. Which to me was unexpected but extremely helpful! The music itself was amazing - we received so many compliments and positive feedback about how much fun everyone was having! He even played a custom Backstreet Boys mix for me (I’m a lifelong fan) and the crowd was LOVING it!! Honestly, can I do this all over again just so I can enjoy the music? Loved it. The service was beyond what I could have ever expected and I would recommend The Block Party over and over! Thank you!!!

Sent on 01/24/2019
  • Matt

Matt · Married on 01/05/2019

Absolutely Incredible

Going into my wedding, I told my now-wife that I cared about 2 things for our wedding: the food and the music. So, I took it upon myself to find us a quality DJ. We ended up going with Derek and we are SO glad that we did.

It's no secret that a lot of wedding DJ's aren't great. More often than not, you're going with someone who is just pressing play on a playlist, ruining the flow of the night with too many slow songs, playing the looooongest songs in their entirety, getting on the mic too often, etc. I wanted to find a REAL DJ who would be able to keep the party going and allow us to have as much fun as possible.

Needless to say, Derek delivered. From the moment I reached out, I knew he was exactly what I was looking for. First and foremost, he is just a genuinely great guy, which is always good to have during such an important event. But he also took this gig very seriously, asking all of the right questions, and being the perfect MC for the night to keep things moving on our timeline that we gave him. On the music side of things, he actually spins vinyl and is able to mix songs into each other, which is pretty rare to find in a wedding DJ. Rest assured, he's not just pressing play and hitting next. He is fully involved in the music, and put together some really memorable transitions and mixes that everyone loved.

I put a lot of trust in Derek going into our event, and I was not disappointed. We gave him songs that we wanted to hear, but we mostly just gave him ideas of the type of music we like and let him run with that. Being a great DJ, Derek was able to keep the party moving and played music based on our crowd and what they responded to. My wedding was totally unique (we went from 90s hiphop to Moana) because it was exactly what our crowd called for- if you book Derek, you will get a completely different experience, catered to you and your wedding.

I can't say enough great things about Derek. As the groom, I didn't have a lot of strong opinions on aspects of the wedding, but I did care about the music, and I could not have asked for a better outcome. I'm very fortunate we found Derek and I highly recommend him for your wedding! If you want your wedding to be fun, and you want your DJ to not be terrible, you can stop searching :]

Sent on 01/14/2019
  • Alayne

Alayne Sgarro · Married on 12/28/2018

Incredible!

Derek was absolutely the best choice we could have made for a DJ on our big day. My husband and I traveled from out of town for our ceremony to Dayton, OH and Derek has a special connection to the city. He was more than willing to travel - over the busy Christmas holiday - to join us and provide us with his amazing talent. We had a small, intimate, family wedding with only about 40 people and he was able to make the room feel so full. He made the day flow so well and has this intuitive ability to play what songs he feels will go with the moments. We had many kidddos at the reception and he made sure to not only play fun songs for them but also involved them in the DJing! They certainly had a blast! He was even able to play my grandparent's first dance song on an original 33 so we could give them a moment where they seemed to just float back in time. It moved all in the room to tears. Derek, to say you made our day a special one is the grossest understatement of the century. I cannot thank you enough for everything you did for us on our day, it will not be forgotten. You are so incredibly talented, thank you so very much for sharing that with us!

Sent on 02/24/2019

Josh · Married on 12/08/2018

Unique, Amazing, and Unforgettable!

When searching for a DJ for our wedding, our top vendors always referred us to Derek at The Block Party. After our first conversation with him we understood why and knew he was right for us. Derek took the time to travel for a face to face introduction and to further understand how he could help bring our vision come to life. With every interaction from introduction to the day of our celebration, Derek was prompt to respond in a friendly, professional, and reassuring manner.

We were so confident in Derek’s abilities, we gave him full freedom to practice his craft with only minimal input from us and he EXCEEDED our expectations tenfold! From the ceremony through the reception, he kept the party rolling without being intrusive and gently helped my SO and I stay on track with our schedule as we continually got lost in the moment.
    It’s difficult to mention highlights as the overall experience was top notch however one memory that immediately comes to mind and was very special for us was Derek’s introduction to our first dance in which he pulled from his stash our first song on vinyl and allowed me, the groom, to drop the needle…unique and unforgettable! From this point forward Derek’s energy, song selection, and mixing kept the dance floor packed until the venue had to shut us down at the end of the night.

We cannot say enough great things about Derek. One of the best vendor decisions we made and we would recommend to others 100%.

Sent on 01/06/2019

Allison Lapointe · Married on 11/24/2018

Loved the style!

The Block Party was recommended to me by T&B Floral. T&B owner, Kevin told me his style is like Girl Talk (whom I love) so I gave his mixtapes a listen. I fell in love with Block Party 2017. His mashups are perfect for getting people on the dance floor, and staying there. He mashes all genres and had even the "wallflower" guests on the dance floor. So many great memories. Derek knocked it out of the park. People are still talking about his music. Highly recommend. And plan to hire again. :)

Sent on 12/20/2018

Cassidy Kennedy · Married on 11/16/2018

100% recommend!

I could not be happier with the overall experience with Block Party. They were so accommodating with planning and setup. Our dance floor was packed all night long and the interaction with the dance party was perfect. Wes was great at knowing exactly what the crowd wanted to hear. 10/10 recommend if you're looking for a good time. Thank you again Block Party

Sent on 11/29/2018

Kelsey · Married on 10/20/2018

AMAZING Wedding Entertainment

DJ Wes was AMAZING. He was extremely organized and professional. It made our day so easy and everything went seamlessly. Wes made it a priority to get to know us, what we envisioned for our big day and understood what our music tastes were. I would highly recommend the Block Party for a wedding or any event. They are truly want to please their clients and it shows in their quality of work!

Sent on 12/20/2018

Elizabeth · Married on 10/20/2018

Personalization at it's best. Derek is truly the best!

Derek is bar-none the BEST DJ you could select. I knew Derek through mutual friends from college. When we started the planning process he was my first call. A reception is one of the most memorable parts of your wedding day. When we thought about our wedding, we wanted dancing to be central to the night. Derek DJ'd a good friend's wedding and remains one of the most memorable weddings to date, besides my own, and he had a lot to do with that! While he is based in Michigan and our wedding was in Colorado, he was willing to travel. Through the planning process, he was nothing but supportive, attentive and proactive in every way. He did everything to help take any guesswork out making the days leading up to our big day that much better. He worked seamlessly with our other music vendor for our cocktail hour, offering to provide equipment where needed. But the most important part about what Derek will bring to your day is the personalization and true passion for his job. He is truly committed to making your day special, no matter the tempo. I had many family and friends comment on how the playlist and overall music experience was so personalized to me and my husband. We happened to have a large screen near our dance floor that he projected music videos and even images of our honeymoon destination - great examples of personalization. He also creates amazing mixes that not only help to maintain the momentum throughout the day but tailors it to the crowd's energy levels. Through this, Derek and his wife have become a dear friend of ours. We couldn't have asked for a better day, filled with great music, dancing and friendship. He was central to our reception experience. I cannot recommend him enough!!! He is truly the BEST. Thanks to you Derek!!!!!

Sent on 09/30/2019
  • Jason

Jason Prior · Married on 10/11/2018

Really the key to an amazing wedding party!

We could not have booked a better act for our wedding! Derrick made the party happen - hands down. This is not the guy that plays a cliche wedding playlist. He knows what the crowd wants, and he brings it - I'm pretty sure at one point he had every person at our wedding out on the dance floor with us dancing. He and his wife Clare are not only a must-have for your wedding, but they are also great people and work hard to make sure there's not just a wedding, but a wedding party. I can't imagine our wedding without him being the DJ. Thanks a lot for being such a key part of it for us!

Sent on 06/03/2019
  • Carla

Carla · Married on 10/07/2018

Best wedding dj possible!

I cannot say enough good things about Derek and Wes! As soon as we saw their website I knew these were the Dj's we wanted! They felt like instant family from our first meeting with Derek. We were fortunate to be able to have both Derek and Wes at our wedding, and they are an epic pair! The dance floor was packed the whole night, young and old were dancing! They covered everything including making my dad happy with a few Polka's! Motown, hiphop, pop, 90's, step music.. Somehow they covered everything for everyone and made it flow seamlessly! Everything from the cocktail hour music to the last song was perfect. They really know how to read a crowd! I feel like I've known these guys forever. We are now having them play at my work Christmas party. Thank you so much Derek and Wes! We are beyond grateful that we found you to be part of our wedding day and for your continued friendship!

Sent on 12/15/2018

Katie · Married on 09/29/2018

We had Derek as our DJ for our wedding at the Ypsilanti Freighthouse on 9/29/18 and he did NOT disappoint. From the start of our communication, Derek was professional and punctual. He went out of his way to make sure we had the sound/vibe we were looking for and listened to our requests, and then went above and beyond anything we could have imagined! We spoke on the phone, then via email, and then met in person and he made a point of really getting to know us and our personalities. He was super flexible and adaptable and had a great attitude throughout the entire process. When it came to the wedding day itself, we arrived to our venue with additional uplighting that made the space dazzle, and it was a complete surprise done by Derek! He nailed the ceremony music and for the reception, he made a geeky nerd mix (combinations of Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, etc.) but set to strings so still classy! Our dinner tables were having contests with each other to see who could guess first what movie/show each song was from. Then for after dinner dancing, he kept everyone on the dance floor and seamlessly transitioned into his songs. One of his coolest moments was when he looped "Lean on Me" perfectly into "Somebody to Lean On" because he did it with such finesse and perfection. He has a great natural sense for reading the dance floor and adjusting to what people are dancing to. Out of everything we got compliments about, our DJ was the #1 hit of the evening! We even had our bartenders and wait staff asking us about him and giving huge praise! Derek was just born to do this, and created so much joy and happiness for our guests and for us. I wish I could throw another party just to have an excuse to have Derek DJ again! You will not be disappointed if you go with Derek and The Block Party.
    Katie and Will

Sent on 09/30/2018

Mary · Married on 09/15/2018

We LOVE The Block Party

Derek is not only a genuinely talented DJ, wonderful creative collaborator, and as hardworking as they come, he is also an incredibly good person. Throughout our time working with Derek, we felt like family. He treated our wedding with so much thought, love, passion and genuine care that we were able to really bring our event to life because of his dedication! Derek DJ'd a whole weekend of events for us (and stayed on site!) to bring our Camp Wedding Weekend to life. Music is such an important part of our lives, and we knew we wanted it be central to our wedding, and Derek did an incredible job of creating a sense of community and joy with music the whole weekend long - from the welcome BBQ, to the pool party, to the KILLER dance party for our reception. He was also an amazing team player and worked so well with our whole vendor team to help create a wonderful environment for us and our guests. We are forever grateful and so lucky to now count him as a friend. Thank you Derek! We could not have done it without you!

Sent on 02/02/2019

Mike · Married on 09/08/2018

Derek DJ'ed our wedding and is a pro's pro. He did an excellent job in preparing, making sure he knew what we wanted, offering input based on his experience after listening to our wants. He was responsive and reliable leading up to the day. He knocked it out of the park on wedding day. The dance floor was full all night, thanks in large part to Derek seamlessly flowing from one song to the next, and he made the veteran move of taking a halftime during speeches to guests and photographers could enjoy the beautiful sunset. Bottom line, if your'e looking, hire Derek. Worth every red cent and then some.

Sent on 09/16/2018

Jeff · Married on 08/25/2018

Derek was awesome to work with while planning for our wedding. He was accommodating with our schedules and patient when we failed to make decisions (for longer than I care to admit). He gave us a lot of much-needed guidance based on his past experiences. His performance at the wedding was fantastic. We had several impromptu changes to the itinerary throughout the night and he adapted on the fly. When it started to rain he proposed we move our first dance under the canopy of the trees, and carried the entire setup across the lawn in the rain. Oh, and the dance party... I’m not usually a dancer but even I couldn’t help myself. I couldn’t count the number of times our guests told us “how amazing the DJ was”, “he’s the best DJ ever”, etc. We were actually concerned the floor of the barn might collapse if it had gone much longer. Overall, I can’t recommend The Block Party highly enough.

Sent on 09/04/2018

Andrea · Married on 08/18/2018

Instagram find turned into a great choice for our wedding DJ!

Derek was so great to work with for our August wedding in Traverse City! Having good music & people dancing was 1 of 3 top things we wanted to be successful on our day and Derek delivered. His DJ style, confidence and excitement for our event reassured us that we would not have to worry about the music. He was also really responsive & helpful before & during the event. We are so happy we found him! Plus the vinyl copy of our 1st dance was a such a great touch, we loved it!

Sent on 10/15/2018