Berkeley, CA 94710 Map · Phone number

About Sugarcoat It Studio

Sugarcoat It Studio creates refined custom cakes that reflect a modern design sensibility.

Krista Markell has combined a life-long passion for baking with a natural affinity for modern design to create distinctive cakes that are graphic, bold, whimsical, and sculptural. She is inspired by pattern and textures found in textiles, wall coverings, rugs, tile, fashion, housewares, paper goods and art, as well as design details from her clients' own event invitations. She particularly enjoys applying a three dimensional quality to patterns that would be one dimensional in other printed mediums - and collaborating with clients to create an exceptional cake that reflects their unique celebration.

Using the highest quality, organic, and locally sourced ingredients wherever possible, all artisan cakes are individually hand-made to order. Tasting and design consultations may be arranged for weddings and large cake orders. Located in Berkeley, cakes can be delivered all over Northern California.

Belville20091small
Inspired by letterpress invitation graphics by Stolen Plate Press.
Inspired by letterpress invitation graphic by Stolen Plate Press, with edible rice paper to mimic...
DSC08468
details 037
details 034
DSC06135
DaveJen cake detail
Sugarcoat It Studio
Inspired by vintage dance instruction graphics from the couple's invitation and the bride's love of...
Cake16
Sugarcoat It Studio
Inspired by leaf cut-outs from the couple's invitation.
Inspired by leaf cut-outs from the couple's invitation.
Inspired by architectural wall panels.
Inspired by architectural wall panels.
DSC07848
Sugarcoat It Studio
Inspired by the bride's love of flowers.
Inspired by the bride's love of flowers.
DSC08147
Belville20091small

5 Reviews for Sugarcoat It Studio

Marina · Married on 09/26/2009

Krista made a fabulous creation for my wedding cake. It captured the look and feel of the entire wedding; unique, chic and modern. She incorporated my wedding invitation in the design, added a few special elements...and on top of that, it was delicious! She was easy to work with and I can't thank her enough for her efforts in making my wedding special.
    Marina

Sent on 10/05/2009

Jessica · Married on 08/22/2009

Once I saw Sugar Coat It's work on the Wedding Chicks blog and I saw that she was local, I jumped at the chance to contact her. I'm an artist myself, specifically a vector artist, so when I see graphic art, I'm immediately intrigued.

Her portfolio of work spoke for itself. She took great care in her work and it was so detailed and flawless. (I check for lumpy, cracked fondant, a note for your bakers out there.) My cake couldn't just be a cake, but a work of art.

The tasting was done at her home, she only had three flavors available. But it was enough... because she had chocolate. I'm sold. She had mini cakes and they were all delicious! They came in lemon, coconut and chocolate. The buttercream was light and not greasy! She was kind enough to send us 3 more samples to take home!

During the consultation she drew roughs on the spot, and made a few more after we left. Though I am sure I drove her crazy with all my impossible requests! She handled the detail oriented bridezilla with grace! The end result was a design I loved! My cake was definitely unique and I am proud to show it off. I'm sure it was a an ordeal to create, but it got done and on-time. No disasters!

My wedding cake was not to be forgotten with the guests. In the sea of memories of white cakes, they all know mine was the blue and brown one with the skyline on it!

Krista was thoughtful and made a separate layer for us to take home! Thank you, it was much needed because there wasn't any cake left over from the actual cake! I didn't save it for the 1 year anniversary cause I don't leave cake just sitting around, especially not delicious moist chocolate cake!
    I wanted to have her bake another cake for our anniversary but it looks like she's taking a break. Hopefully she'll be available again for you Bay Area brides. Her work is unique, I haven't found another local baker who does graphic work like her and is affordable!

Sent on 08/16/2011

Trish · Married on 12/13/2008

The service at Sugarcoat It Studio was great.They were always very professional.They sat down with us to design the perfect cake.They executed the design just as I requested and the cake was a big hit at our wedding.The price was reasonable,and everything arrived on time.Couldn't recommend them enough.

Sent on 05/15/2009