7167 Surfbird Cir, Carlsbad, CA 92011 Map · Phone number
Most Popular Price $4,000
Availability Check your date
  • Real Weddings 3

About Petula Pea Photography

Shedding light on subtle details & capturing authentic moments, Patty has a keen sense of how to infuse life into her subject, drawing even more beauty through her lens, than through the naked eye. On living her dream, Patty says, “I know I was born to do this. This is my passion and I am always excited to create memories for my clients!”

A Tucson, Arizona native, Patty Brutlag moved to Encinitas, CA after pursuing a degree in Advertising & Photography at NAU. She left the corporate marketing world after many years & was determined to make a dream a reality. In ’07, she picked up her camera again… And luckily, for her clients, she never put it back down. Petula Pea Photography was created in 2010 & specializes in weddings, engagement sessions, maternity, family & baby portraiture. Not only is Patty an amazing wedding photographer, but she loves it! In her words, “I am able to capture such an intimate & magical day, and what I give them lasts forever; I create memories for years & years to come. And, to be trusted on a couple’s wedding day is a huge honor.”

Patty shoots everything on location & always uses natural light. She incorporates interesting & organic items from her natural surrounding into the photo shoot which makes her images very unique. Because she is committed to quality, she only books 4-6 portrait sessions 1-2 weddings/month. This allows her the time to focus on each client & also saves time for the most important roles in her life: mother, wife, & friend.

760.815.0109

Petula Pea Photography 6
Petula Pea Photography 7
  • Abby

Abby Borden · Married on 02/12/2019

Best Decision = Best Photos!

I don't know where to begin. Working with Patty for our engagement and wedding photos was one of the most critical decisions that we made, and simultaneously the easiest one. From our first meeting over a glass of wine and the cute gift she brought us, to the text messages, email support, outfit encouragement (for engagement photos), vendor referrals (wedding) -- Patty was our rock throughout it all. We were barrels of nerves before our photo sessions and what Patty does so incredibly well and naturally is helps you relax, enjoy the moments and feel beautiful inside and out!

We found Patty through Yelp and Instagram, and immediately fell in love with the style of her work. Her style amplifies the natural beauty and emotions that she's capturing and we love every single photo she took, including the ones of our four-legged baby during our engagement sessions. Her editing process (individually editing each photo, which not all photographers will do) and diligence to providing a beyond perfection end result to her clients is telling - we love each and every moment and photo she has been able to capture throughout this journey.

During our wedding planning process, Patty helped introduce us to our wedding coordinator (who was also a rockstar), our videographer (see rockstar comment), and shared invaluable perspective on the big things and little details alike. Even the assistant, John, that she brought to work with her on our big day gelled with the group like he'd been working with us the entire time. The ability for a photographer to manage a timeline and a crowd is critical, and that's what Patty does every single time. She had our timeline planned down to the minute, taking into consideration the sunlight and timeline for the rest of the event!

We cannot wait to work with Patty again in the future to capture the big life moments yet to come!

Sent on 02/14/2019
    Petula Pea Photography 8
    Petula Pea Photography 9
    Petula Pea Photography 10
    Petula Pea Photography 11
    Petula Pea Photography 12

Petula Pea Photography's reply:

Oh gosh Abby, I am so humbled by your sweetest words. I cannot think of any better way to make me smile right now, and can't thank you enough!
    I am so honored to have captured these moments for you and Sean on your wedding day at the Darlington House! What a PERFECT and BEAUTIFUL day. I have so much love for you two and I am so excited for what is to come in your future, big-life moments. Thank you again Abby!
  • Natalie

Natalie · Married on 10/07/2018

Simply the Best!

Patty is the most incredible person and photographer there is! From start to finish, working with Patty was so much fun and she made the process so easy. She is very personable and genuinely cares so much about delivering the best photos she can. I feel like she became my best friend!

Within the first minute of our conversion, I knew she was my girl! Her bubbly personality and passion for what she does, made me extremely confident that she was the perfect person to shoot our wedding day. We booked Patty a over a year and a half in advance (the good ones go fast!) so we had a lot of time between then and the wedding. However, Patty was the absolute sweetest and would check in with me to see how planning was going and it made me feel so special especially being a bride who planned the wedding from across the country.

One of the MANY things I loved about Patty was how organized she was. When it came time to put my shot list together, she sent over a whole sheet for me to fill out, all the way down to listing the exact names of the people in the photo. She gave me advice when I needed it and was accommodating when it was a shot that I needed to have. She wanted to make sure my day was as perfect as possible! A week or so before my wedding she sent the finalized shot list that was broken down all the way down to the minute of what photo was being taken and when. After reading that, I knew everything was going to go smoothly.

Now onto our wedding day. I remember Patty coming into my bridal suite and giving me the biggest hug and smile! We had talked on the phone many times before but never met in person. It was like I was hugging a life long friend of mine and any nerves I had just went away. The whole day, if she ever sensed my husband and I getting nervous she would remind us to take a deep breathe and relax. Often times when you are at weddings, the photographer takes forever to take pictures-not Patty! She stuck to her timeline and we were even ahead of schedule a few times. She was so efficient because she wanted to make sure that we got to enjoy our day as much as we could. My husband and I had so much fun with Patty when she was shooting us-we didn’t want it to end! You spend so much time with your photographer on your special day, that they really could make or break your day. Patty truly made our day and was our rock through it all. We were laughing and smiling the entire time. I can’t recommend her enough!

We just got our photos back at the end of January and they are breathtaking! I look at Patty’s work all the time on Instagram but actually getting your own pictures back you see exactly how incredible, and talented Petula Pea really is :) She put so much love and energy into every single photo she edited. I absolutely love that she uses the natural light because she really catches the overall beauty of the day. Every time I look at each picture it allows me to relive the day all over again and remember the exact feelings I had in that moment. She told a story through her photos and perfectly captured who my husband and I are as a couple. I will be using Patty again in the future for all my life events because she really is the best! Love you Patty-thank you for making our day so incredibly special! We miss you already!

Sent on 02/14/2019
    Petula Pea Photography 13
    Petula Pea Photography 14
    Petula Pea Photography 15

Natalie,
    I love, love, love your words so much - you are makin' my heart melt Natalie! The time that you took to write this review and to write the sweetest words also, in a card, are appreciated so much. You, Thomas and your entire family were so welcoming, authentic, caring and kind. I often think, what have I done to deserve such amazing clients like you? I am truly grateful to have had the honor of capturing your wedding day, and I look forward to seeing you two again, and again! Big love to you both, and so many endless thank-yous ! Love, Patty

Kelsey Dommer · Married on 08/18/2018

Professional, personal, amazing!

Working with Patty on our wedding day was the best decision I could have made! From the first conversation we had I knew she would be ultra organized and so easy to work with, and that turned out to be even more true than I could have known. She was prepared and knew the property and the best shot locations before the day so that everything ran smoothly and easily for us. She got SO many shots done without being intrusive at all for the first couple hours which I appreciate so much. When it came to organizing our HUGE wedding party and our families Patty was so organized and clear and made it really easy to get literally all the shots we wanted and right on schedule so that there was no stress at all. My entire family made comments to me about how much they appreciated how well she handled everything and how they felt like the process was super easy and the shots all came out great. The pictures we got back are all beyond beautiful and really capture some of our favorite moments. I'm so grateful for the personal connection Patty made before and after the wedding so that the experience was even more fun!

Sent on 02/18/2019
    Petula Pea Photography 16
    Petula Pea Photography 17
    Petula Pea Photography 18
    Petula Pea Photography 19
    Petula Pea Photography 20
    Petula Pea Photography 21

Kelsey!
    Awe, thank you! Working with YOU was one of the best wedding days I had last year. From the moment we talked, I just hoped and wished you would book because you are my dream client. Your sweetest love for Sam and your whole family was so special to watch. I am so grateful to have had you as a bride and thank you for being so kind and sweet! I will always remember your special day, and hope I am always your photo gal! xo, Patty

Petula Pea Photography FAQ

• What is the starting price for your wedding photography services? $ 3,000.00
  • Which of the following are included in the starting price? 2nd Shooter, High-Res Images, One Event / Day
  • What is the price of your most popular wedding package? $ 4,000.00
  • Which of the following are included in the price of your most popular wedding package? 2nd Shooter, Engagement Shoot, One Event / Day, Digital Files
  • What photography services do you offer? Boudoir Shoot, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Liability Insurance
  • What photography items do you offer? Albums, Canvas, Digital Files, Prints, Proofs

Real Weddings

• Great Woodland Photography
    Great Woodland Photography Wedding Photographers

I have had a chance to work with Patty both as a client and as an assistant and she has always been the paramount example of what a professional and thoughtful photographer should be. She's considerate of all the various factors that can affect a wedding day and talks through her concerns with her client, all while letting them know that their enjoyment of their session is what matters most! And she really listens and does everything she can to ensure that every session goes off as smoothly as possible. This thoroughness is the key to her success! She is always prepared and keeps calm and cool through every unknown scenario (as weddings and photo-sessions often have) and creates the most beautiful and timeless pieces. She is also unbelievably kind and all around amazing person, who I am lucky to know! I do not hesitate, as a professional in the same industry and as a past client, in recommending her to anyone, bride or other client. She is of the highest quality and caliber in the industry and I strive to run my own business in her likeness.

• 7167 Surfbird Cir Carlsbad, 92011 See on map