7167 Surfbird Cir, Carlsbad, CA 92011 Map · Phone number
  • Real Weddings 3

About Petula Pea Photography

Shedding light on subtle details & capturing authentic moments, Patty has a keen sense of how to infuse life into her subject, drawing even more beauty through her lens, than through the naked eye. On living her dream, Patty says, “I know I was born to do this. This is my passion and I am always excited to create memories for my clients!”

A Tucson, Arizona native, Patty Brutlag moved to Encinitas, CA after pursuing a degree in Advertising & Photography at NAU. She left the corporate marketing world after many years & was determined to make a dream a reality. In ’07, she picked up her camera again… And luckily, for her clients, she never put it back down.  Petula Pea Photography was created in 2010 & specializes in weddings, engagement sessions, maternity, family & baby portraiture. Not only is Patty an amazing wedding photographer, but she loves it! In her words, “I am able to capture such an intimate & magical day, and what I give them lasts forever; I create memories for years & years to come. And, to be trusted on a couple’s wedding day is a huge honor.”

Patty shoots everything on location & always uses natural light. She incorporates interesting & organic items from her natural surrounding into the photo shoot which makes her images very unique.  Because she is committed to quality, she only books 4-6 portrait sessions 1-2 weddings/month. This allows her the time to focus on each client & also saves time for the most important roles in her life: mother, wife, & friend.

760.815.0109

43 Reviews for Petula Pea Photography

• Jessica

Jessica Anderson · Married on 04/26/2019

Stunning Photography

Hiring a vendor that is responsible for capturing the precious moments of one of the biggest days of your life can be a hard thing to narrow down. But for my husband and I, there was no one else other than Patty with Petula Pea Photography.
    I came across her Instagram about 2 years prior to becoming engaged; I was so in love with her photography and enjoyed seeing her work.
    Petula Pea was the very first vendor we signed a contract with, and was one of the best decisions ever!
    We had our initial phone call to talk wedding vision, and all those fun details and I immediately felt like I’ve known her for years. She helped guide us to the best wedding coordinator (Cara: Luxe Events) and we quickly signed Cara shortly after booking Patty.
    We had walk throughs, emails and phone convos for the past year and then it all came to the Wedding Day!! It was better than I could have ever imagined!!

The venue looked fantastic and everything fell into place. Knowing that we had the best photographer to capture all these details, looks, feelings and emotions was the icing on the cake! Throughout the day she would remind us to breathe, and to take it all in. The best reminder.

Incredibly organized, works for “that” shot, caring, knows her craft and so so many other great praises can’t be said enough about this woman!

Patty had several “teaser” photos ready a couple days later – WOW!! Just the few we’ve seen.. absolutely speechless!
    Can’t wait to see the rest!!
    My advice is, if she is available for your wedding date- book Petula Pea Photography, you’ll never regret it.

Sent on 05/22/2019

Petula Pea Photography's reply:

Jessica, what a beautiful surprise to read this! You and Nick are AMAZING and I could not be any more flattered or honored to have been chosen Before you got engaged. I just love, love, love you!!! Fast forward to your special day... it was insanely gorgeous and everything was perfect. I could not be happier for you two and I am so grateful to have documented your wedding day and gain such sweet friends in the process. Thank you so much! Love, Patty
  • Abby

Abby Borden · Married on 02/12/2019

Best Decision = Best Photos!

I don't know where to begin. Working with Patty for our engagement and wedding photos was one of the most critical decisions that we made, and simultaneously the easiest one. From our first meeting over a glass of wine and the cute gift she brought us, to the text messages, email support, outfit encouragement (for engagement photos), vendor referrals (wedding) -- Patty was our rock throughout it all. We were barrels of nerves before our photo sessions and what Patty does so incredibly well and naturally is helps you relax, enjoy the moments and feel beautiful inside and out!

We found Patty through Yelp and Instagram, and immediately fell in love with the style of her work. Her style amplifies the natural beauty and emotions that she's capturing and we love every single photo she took, including the ones of our four-legged baby during our engagement sessions. Her editing process (individually editing each photo, which not all photographers will do) and diligence to providing a beyond perfection end result to her clients is telling - we love each and every moment and photo she has been able to capture throughout this journey.

During our wedding planning process, Patty helped introduce us to our wedding coordinator (who was also a rockstar), our videographer (see rockstar comment), and shared invaluable perspective on the big things and little details alike. Even the assistant, John, that she brought to work with her on our big day gelled with the group like he'd been working with us the entire time. The ability for a photographer to manage a timeline and a crowd is critical, and that's what Patty does every single time. She had our timeline planned down to the minute, taking into consideration the sunlight and timeline for the rest of the event!

We cannot wait to work with Patty again in the future to capture the big life moments yet to come!

Sent on 02/12/2019

Petula Pea Photography's reply:

Oh gosh Abby, I am so humbled by your sweetest words. I cannot think of any better way to make me smile right now, and can't thank you enough!
    I am so honored to have captured these moments for you and Sean on your wedding day at the Darlington House! What a PERFECT and BEAUTIFUL day. I have so much love for you two and I am so excited for what is to come in your future, big-life moments. Thank you again Abby!

Casey · Married on 01/12/2019

Truly the BEST

I cannot say enough about how amazing Patty was throughout the entire wedding process. From our first chat on the phone I knew she was our photographer. Beyond the fact that her portfolio is amazing; she is kind, easy to talk to, and professional.
    From the very beginning she made me and my now husband feel at ease about the entire process. She asked about the kind of vibe we were going for, our story, and really made the process super personal. Once we got closer to the wedding, she helped to make a killer wedding photo timeline; making edits where she thought things could be done more efficiently, but was also so attentive to my wants/needs.
    The day of the wedding Patty was the BEST! She is truly so sweet and easy to work with. And the photos that we ended up with were amazing, I honestly can't stop looking at them. I also can't decide which ones to print because there are so many I am obsessed with (the best problem to have haha). In my opinion, picking a good photographer is one of the most important things you can do for your wedding day and I highly, highly recommend Patty for all your photographer needs.

Sent on 07/06/2019

Petula Pea Photography's reply:

Casey, you absolutely made my day (with this beautiful review) and captured my heart throughout the process too! You and Chris were just the BEST and absolute dream clients. Your day could not have been any more beautiful and I am so thankful I was your gal and I am SO LUCKY you chose me! Sending so much love and gratitude to you both and I cannot wait for our paths to cross again - Love you both!!

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2020 Winner

Petula Pea Photography FAQ

• What is the starting price for your wedding photography services?
    $ 3000.00
  • Which of the following are included in the starting price?
    2nd Shooter
    High-Res Images
    One Event / Day
  • What is the price of your most popular wedding package?
    $ 4000
    2nd Shooter
    Engagement Shoot
    One Event / Day
    Digital Files
  • What primary photographic style do you identify with?
    Contemporary
    Photojournalism
    Traditional
  • What photography services do you offer?
    Boudoir Shoot
    Engagement Shoot
    High-Res Images
  • What photography items do you offer?
    Albums
    Canvas
    Digital Files
    Prints
    Proofs

3 Real Weddings

• Great Woodland Photography Wedding Photographers

I have had a chance to work with Patty both as a client and as an assistant and she has always been the paramount example of what a professional and thoughtful photographer should be. She's considerate of all the various factors that can affect a wedding day and talks through her concerns with her client, all while letting them know that their enjoyment of their session is what matters most! And she really listens and does everything she can to ensure that every session goes off as smoothly as possible. This thoroughness is the key to her success! She is always prepared and keeps calm and cool through every unknown scenario (as weddings and photo-sessions often have) and creates the most beautiful and timeless pieces. She is also unbelievably kind and all around amazing person, who I am lucky to know! I do not hesitate, as a professional in the same industry and as a past client, in recommending her to anyone, bride or other client. She is of the highest quality and caliber in the industry and I strive to run my own business in her likeness.

• 7167 Surfbird Cir Carlsbad, 92011 See on map
    Location of (Petula Pea Photography)