Church of the Nativity

• Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC

2 Reviews for Church of the Nativity

• southerngirl

Ashley · Married on 12/28/2009

As members of this church it wasn't too difficult to make the arrangements to get married here. Because we were married right after the Christmas holiday it did take a little bit of time and some back and forth to determine who, if anyone, would be in town to perform the service. Once that was worked out the process went much smoother. As with any Catholic church the process can be a bit arduous especially since I was a divorced Protestant but eventually we made it through all the paperwork and required counseling. The priest, Father Kevin O'Keefe, was very laid back and more flexible with requests for slight modifications to the service than I had expected. He managed the rehearsal on his own without the assistance from any coordinator, but I was happy to have a friend serving in that role the morning of the wedding to make sure everything and everyone was where they needed to be. My pastor from another church was equally involved in the ceremony and the wording for those sections were fairly open for him to say what he wanted. Overall there is still a small window of options of how a Catholic wedding will be done. I had expected no cost for the use of the church, just a stipend for the priest, but the $200 fee was reasonable. Since our wedding was right after Christmas the church was beautifully decorated for the holidays so I had to bring in VERY minimal decor beyond bouquets. It took some time and energy and negotiations to end up with a service we were all happy with but in the end it worked well.

Sent on 01/11/2010

Kristen · Married on 09/03/2006

3.8
      3.0
      2.0

We brought in our own priest (my great uncle) and our own day-of coordinator. There is someone at the church who can assist during the rehearsal, but she is a bit antiquated in her ways and our rehearsal took over an hour.
    The church is beautiful, plenty of parking, and lots of places for pictures on the surrounding grounds. They normally only offer services at 8am, 10am, and 2pm on Saturdays, but we really wanted an afternoon wedding so we were able to have it on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend at 4pm since we provided the priest.

Sent on 11/16/2006