Custom Hitches

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

Our primary goal initially was simply to find someone who would marry us in a non-traditional ceremony in our backyard with our closest friends and family. As with anything wedding related the scope and aim changed the more we talked about it. We realized that it was very important for us to find the right person for the job on this super special day. We were looking for someone we could personally connect with, with a sense of humor, a no-drama atttitude and a willingness to listen to our ideas and contribute with his/her experience.

We certainly could not have found anyone better than Spike to officiate our wedding. She is all of the above and much more. From the very start she was able to help us with our ceremony and vows by providing ideas and samples. Spike is wonderfully social, has a low-key personality and we immediately felt a connection with her, or shall I say, we knew she was The One? As our wedding date approached we were starting to get a little overwhelmed with family coming into town from two different countries. Spike was great at pressing gently for additional details and offering up suggestions to keep us on track. Throughout the whole process Spike was always available and ready with advice.

The wedding day went off without a hitch - we juggled multiple sets of relatives from both families co-mingling and doing readings together and Spike had it all beautifully organized. We really felt that Spike was truly passionate about making our wedding day special for us. You can tell that she sincerely loves performing weddings and it shines through. The proof is in the pudding: our photographer asked Spike to perform his wedding! We can't recommend her enough.

Services Used: Officiant
LOCATION
1101 W. 34th Street, #157, Austin, TX 78705

I have been joyfully performing custom-written weddings and same-sex commitment ceremonies in Austin, the Hill Country, and surrounding areas since 2006. I have performed nearly one thousand services. In 2013 I was voted Best Austin Wedding Officiant by Austin's A-List. I was also the subject of the magazine feature Spike Gillespie Puts a Ring On It in Austin Monthly.

As an award-winning professional writer and public speaker with over thirty years of experience including seven books, countless magazine articles, and commentary on Austin's NPR affiliate KUT, I use my love of words to help couples create carefully tailored ceremonies that guarantee happy, memorable events.

I am happy to create exactly the type of ceremony you want, be that secular and non-traditional, spiritual and traditional, or any combination therein. All religions welcome. No religion is also welcome (please see my Non-Religious Weddings page for more information). Often I combine elements from a number of traditions to reflect a couple’s different cultural and religious backgrounds. Most importantly, I work  closely with you to ensure your ceremony truly reflects who you are as individuals and as a pair, capturing the essence of your togetherness and the love you share.

Flexible and easygoing, I'm equally comfortable performing just-the-two-of-you elopements, informal backyard weddings, fancy events attended by hundreds, and everything in between.

I have presided over weddings in countless venues including: The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, One World Theatre, Barr Mansion, Chapel Dulcinea, Vintage Villas, Umlauf Sculpture Garden, Zilker Botanical Gardens, Hamilton Twelve, The Winfield Inn, The Allan House, The Four Seasons, Mansion at Judges Hill, House on the Hill, The Driskill, The Inn at Wild Rose Hall, The Oasis, Hotel Saint Cecilia, The Texas State Capitol Grounds, The Caswell House, The Inn at Pearl Street, Hummingbird House, Red Corral Ranch, Nature’s Point, Villa Antonia, Casa Blanca, Kindred Oaks, Memory Lane, Camp Lucy, The Duchman Family Winery, Thurman Mansion, Le San Michele, Laguna Gloria, Mayfield Park, Dunvegan Keep, Wild Onion Ranch, Ma Maison, Chateau Bellevue, Stonehouse Villa, The Lookout, The Chapel at Southwest School of Art in San Antonio, The Witte Museum in San Antonio, among others.

I do travel and I'd be delighted to perform your destination wedding.

+/- read less
Details
Categories: Officiant
Event Types: Christenings, LGBTQ Weddings / Ceremonies, Memorials
ENDORSEMENTS (4)
Spike is a wedding planners dream officiate. She gives my clients such personal attention and care with thier ceremonies which let's face it is why we're all there in the first place. No matter how many edits or questions or changes my clients have Spike is always there to guide them, give suggestions and support. As a planner having someone like this on my "team" is invaluable. I know my clients are in great hands with Spike and that she truly loves what she does. She is always on time and the rehearsal process is so smooth when she is there. I adore working with Spike and I am sure you willl too!