Jayla
Champion October 2025

When did you meet the parents/family?

Jayla, on July 3, 2018 at 2:05 PM

Posted in Community Conversations 39

It’s the big moment, you’re meeting your future spouse's parents and/or family! How long into the relationship before you all met? How did it happen? Share your story! Bradley Images, inc.

It’s the big moment, you’re meeting your future spouse's parents and/or family! How long into the relationship before you all met? How did it happen?

Share your story!

cfb_990696.jpg

Bradley Images, inc.

39 Comments

• A
    Devoted May 2020
    Ali ·
    • Flag
    Um....I met his mom pretty quickly...and his niece. He was living with his mom at the time (she was unemployed so he was taking care of her), and I went over to hang out with him. Long story short, walk of shame right into his niece (like 11 at the time). We have all gotten along since. Well...except for his sister in law, she doesn't like me...but that's alright, I wasn't put on this earth to please anyone.
  • Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OMG!! That is so cute! I love hearing about couples who met when they were youngerSmiley heart

• Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Ali! Despite many ups and down with family, as long as you are happy and get to spend the rest of your life with him that's all that matters!

CongratsSmiley heart

• C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    I met his parents 3 days after we first hung out. Wasn't expecting it. His mom was nice but it was a bit awkward. And then his dad taught me how to shoot a gun.
    He met mine a month after we first started hanging out. He wanted to meet them before we were officially dating.
  • Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi there!! Thanks for sharing! I am really enjoying getting to know you and your spouse's story throughout these posts! Smiley heart

• Natasha
    Savvy October 2018
    Natasha ·
    • Flag
    I met my FH's father years before we even started dating, before I even realized it was his dad. My FH and I went to high school together and I used to referee soccer games with his dad on the weekends. My FH and I were friends in high school, but hadn't talked since he went away to college. When he came back from college his dad was trying to set us up and eventually we started dating but we didn't tell his dad for a while, once we knew it was gonna work.
    I met his Mother (parents are divorced) about a week into dating. There was a tsunami warning and my house was near the beach, his mom's house was well out of the tsunami zone, so I spent the night at her place with my sister and one of his buddies. We didn't tell her we were dating at the time since it was brand-new. Just said we were friends from high school years back. He met my parents a few months in, we went over for dinner at their house and had a BBQ.
  • Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's awesome!!! I'm glad everything went well each timeSmiley heart

• Lex
    VIP September 2019
    Lex ·
    • Flag
    I knew his mom a long time before we started dating, because we were in band together and she’d go to games with us. I didn’t meet his dad for a few months after we started dating, which was probably a good thing because he was terrifying at first lol.
    FH met pretty much all of my extended family at our high school graduation.
  • rica
    VIP September 2018
    rica ·
    • Flag

His older sister was my babysitter years before him and I met so...then. Smiley atonished

• kymarmck
    Super March 2020
    kymarmck ·
    • Flag

We met within a week of us dating. We were 16 at the time and my dad wanted to meet him and his family so we had a dinner!

• MrsSnez
    Super October 2018
    MrsSnez ·
    • Flag
    I met FH's parents a couple months in but it wasn't planned. I was on my way to his house for dinner on a weeknight and he called and says "um, my parents stopped by... Is that ok?". I met the rest of his family a couple months after that at FMIL's birthday party.
  • Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is so awesome! Congrats to you bothSmiley heart

• Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Cassidy! You don't find that very much where someone wants to meet the parents before dating, that is so sweet!

Thanks for sharingSmiley heart

• Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh wow!!!! I'm sure you would've never guessed that he would eventually be your husband!!!

Thanks for sharingSmiley diamond

• Annie
    VIP October 2018
    Annie ·
    • Flag

We were both living at home at the time so it was about 3 weeks into dating. He came to my house and I cooked dinner for him. I met his dad and step mom a few days later. I met his mom about 5 months in.

• Tpatb
    Master August 2019
    Tpatb ·
    • Flag
    We had been seeing each other for about 8 mos..2 of which we were “official” & she requested to meet me..at a bible study she was hosting lol I come from a church upbringing but am not supef religious so I wasn’t too thrilled but I guess it worked out given the outcome lol
  • Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Aww this is such a cute story! I really like how everything progressed over the years!

CongratsSmiley ring

• Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Charrell! I'm glad it was a nice outcome lol!

Thanks for sharingSmiley heart

• Taylor
    Devoted May 2019
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

Very early on because we started dating after FH asked me to homecoming! So on the day of homecoming, he came to pick me up and he met my parents, then I went to meet his parents!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics