Kayla
Savvy June 2022

Wedding planning - how did you pick your date?

Kayla, on January 2, 2020 at 8:37 AM

Posted in Planning 186

I'm excited to start planning but my fiance and I can't seem to pick a date. How did you guys pick your dates?
I'm excited to start planning but my fiance and I can't seem to pick a date. How did you guys pick your dates?

186 Comments

• Marquita
    Dedicated January 2020
    Marquita ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The only things “needed” are chairs and a place for y’all to stand AKA an altar. Since were having ceremony and reception we wanted a place that already had tables, linens, and a nice aesthetic. Due to our venue being so cheap we expected to use rental vendors. Our venue vendor loves us so much they now have all the things I really wanted and liked from other vendors. They have the chairs I want, pipe and drape, bridal suite and the price is significantly cheaper than those around. We paid under 3000 whereas average is like 7000.
  • Lynette
    Savvy August 2021
    Lynette ·
    • Flag
    We picked summer because I teach and have summers off. Our original date in June was taken by a relative who announced her engagement and date before us. So we picked the the month and year that corresponds with our high school graduation.
  • Flame Princess
    Dedicated April 2021
    Flame Princess ·
    • Flag
    We knew we wanted it in 2021 so we can save up. I picked mid-late April bc it is Maine's off season, and I didnt mind the idea of possible snow. We're closing in on April 25th with a vendor.

Also, sidenote, I finally figured out why it was familiar despite not being someones birthday.tenor.gif

• Courtney
    Dedicated July 2020
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    I am a teacher so I have the summer months off so we knew we were going to pick our date on either June or July. Our dating anniversary is in July and fell on a saturday so we figured why not 😂
  • The Emry's
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    The Emry's ·
    • Flag

Congrats!!
    This is the BEST advise I was given when looking at different seasons and dates:

Stop thinking about your wedding. Unless you are absolutely in love with having your wedding indoor or having it outdoor, don't look at your wedding day to pick a date. Instead think of all the years to come, think about how you would want to celebrate your anniversary each year. Because at the end of the day - literally - the wedding is just a single day of your life, what you're really planning for is a lifetime together.

That thinking helped us come up with a season, and thoughts of our budget helped with what day of the week. From that point, when we picked our venue what dates they had available narrowed down the options even more.

Hope this helps!!
    Jade

• Danica
    Beginner October 2020
    Danica ·
    • Flag
    We both love Halloween so October was the perfect month for us, when we got engaged, we knew we want a long engagement and I love the sound of 10/10/2020 and we had our date!
  • Elizabeth
    Dedicated November 2020
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I don't know about other people but my fiancé and I chose our date based off of a few things. I wanted it to be in October because that's when I started falling for him. It had to be on a Friday for my religious reasons. Certain dates were out because of some personal stuff in his life that he didn't want associated with our wedding.

• Sierra
    Savvy September 2021
    Sierra ·
    • Flag
    I my fiance amd I are newly engaged we chosw Septembe 23 2021. We were originally going to do March 23 because that was the day we started dating 7 years ago. We chose september because it is somewhat in the fall and we both love that season. So therefore September 23. 2021 to give us enough timw to save money.
  • Corine
    Beginner July 2021
    Corine ·
    • Flag
    We are teacher so we decided on the summer.
  • Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    Well I wanted a fall wedding. But the friend I wanted to officiate is getting married this fall... and my busy season at work is fall.
    So we agreed that I would like a late summer wedding, while he wanted a spring wedding. Maybe early June. I refused and said late June.
    We finally decided on April.Realized the date we picked was the day before Easter and wouldn't fly with his grandma.So we chose the first Saturday in April and contacted the photographer I HAD to have. And she gave us 2 dates in March.And that's how we are having our wedding on Lady Gaga's birthday. At the very beginning of Spring.
  • Brittany
    Just Said Yes March 2021
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    I knew I didn’t want to be engaged more than a year and a half. So that placed us in the year 2021. I wanted something catchy and a few dates came to mind. 1/1/2021, 2/2/2021, etc. I started to research where I would have my destination wedding and when the best time would be. My top location said the best & most affordable time to travel is March. One day the date 3/20/2021 came to me and my fiancé agreed.
  • Dorothy
    Dorothy ·
    • Flag
    My venue availablility
  • M
    Molly ·
    • Flag
    We picked the venue first and then checked their availability for the season and year we wanted. It helped narrow it down for us. We also choose a Sunday to better accommodate out of town guests and our budget.
  • Megan
    Expert November 2022
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    Think about important times to you, also think about where you could want your wedding to be ( would it be too hot or cold at your venue depending on the season?)

Also think about important events in other's lives. Births of first child, wedding anniversaries, graduations.
    I do not really want to share my wedding day anniversary with some of my family and friends. I know it sounds petty but I want a special day just for us.

I originally wanted a May Wedding ( May 4th- you know Star Wars day lol for my fh) but we also wanted a beach wedding and so the weather might not be warm enough to make it a vacation plus there are some kids in the wedding that would have to miss school.
  • Kayla
    Savvy June 2022
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    Thank you everyone . You guys are definitely giving me good advice
  • Nicole
    Savvy May 2021
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

We're looking to have our wedding outside of Chicago which means almost everyone has to travel to get there. Plus our nieces and nephews will be part of our big day and it's extremely important for them to be there. It made our decision easy to pick Memorial Day weekend - most everyone is off on Monday and some on Friday so it gives those who have to travel and school-age kids peace of mind.

• Clarissa
    Savvy May 2021
    Clarissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Well it depends on your preferences I believe for instance do you want an outdoor wedding or indoor? Is the venue within budget? Do they provide things like chairs, linens, silverware or do you have to provide some of this? Also can the venue fit how many guests you will have at the wedding? These are only a few questions that come to mind, what I think you should do is to do some venue tours that seem appealing or budget-friendly to you to get a good idea of what you and your fiance want. As for picking out a date my fiance and I picked a date of what season we would want our wedding in and went from there. Some people pick a date that has a lot of meaning to them and a date they won't forget. I hope this helps!

• Ellen
    Dedicated September 2020
    Ellen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Same way we did it!
  • Dayna
    Expert September 2021
    Dayna ·
    • Flag

We started with a time of year (spring) because in Florida summers are too hot, and fall/winter is the busiest time for us with all the holidays plus both our birthdays and a lot of other family birthdays. Then we toured venues and decided on our venue and asked them for available dates in our time frame (it turned out all the dates were available so that didn't help much). My MOH works for the school board so we ended up settling on a date that will be during her spring break, so we will have extra help all week! There's no right or wrong way. Lots of people pick a special date, and lots of people pick a completely random date.

• C
    Devoted September 2019
    Caitlyn ·
    • Flag

We wanted to get married one year after our engagement. That put us in September and the date solely depended on church and reception venue availability. Initially I wanted to get married on 9/21/19 because I liked the odd number pattern but those dates were booked. 9/28/19 felt too late so we landed on 9/14/19 which I loved because of the sequential pattern - 9+5=14+5=19!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics