Skip to main content
Niki
Devoted August 2020

Sunday Weddings - Start Time?

Niki, on April 3, 2020 at 9:56 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1 151
Saved

If you’re getting married on a Sunday, what time does the wedding start?

We had to push our wedding date back to Sunday, August 23rd. I’m struggling with choosing a start time. I love the idea of a 2 pm wedding but we want it to be semi formal. I don’t know if that would work. I’d love to hear your thoughts & know what you’re doing.

151 Comments

Latest activity by Rikki2272, on June 24, 2020 at 8:58 AM
  • K.J.
    Savvy September 2020
    K.J. ·
    • Flag

I'm doing a 2pm Sunday wedding in the park, and it'll be cocktail dress code. There's no reason the time of day should stop you from having whatever dress code you want, assuming it's appropriate for your venue. Especially if you're indoors somewhere elegant, semi-formal doesn't seem weird to me.

• VIP November 2021
    ·
    • Flag
    Our ceremony is at 3pm in November on a Sunday in New England - sun will set around 430 - our wedding is going to be formal
  • A
    Savvy April 2021
    Ariel ·
    • Flag
    I’ve been to many Sunday weddings that start at 2 or 3pm. Starting at 2pm shouldn’t be a problem for a semi formal wedding.
  • Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh that sounds beautiful!
  • Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awesome, thank you!
  • VIP November 2021
    ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    Our wedding was Sunday at noon. Cocktail hour 12:30-1:30, reception 1:30-5!
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    ^ I should add too, ours was also semi formal
  • Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I love it! Did you serve food? I’m struggling with doing heavy appetizers or catering dinner.
  • Hillary
    Expert October 2021
    Hillary ·
    • Flag
    We had to postpone our wedding. Our new date is September 13th, a Sunday. I believe ours will start at 5:30pm and end at 11pm
  • Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s awesome! I feel better about the time now.
  • Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks Hillary. I was also thinking of a 4 or 5 pm wedding. Wishing you all the best!
  • Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ok thank you!
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

I've been to a bunch of formal Sunday weddings, one even black tie optional. That one started at 5:30 and the other ones started at 4 and 4:30. There's no need to feel like you have to start super early for a Sunday wedding!

• Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hanna thank you! That’s super helpful. My only concern with having it at 5 or so is people leaving early.
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

No problem! For the 5:30 Sunday wedding I went to that was black tie optional, I only recall around 6 or so guests leaving early (they left after cake was served but in all fairness, these were elderly people who left early). I think that as long as you let people know in advance what time your wedding will start, they will be able to plan accordingly. For example, this couple had the start time of the wedding listed on their save the date (this was helpful because then I knew not to book a super early flight the next day, since I had to travel to be there). Are you going to have some kind of change the date announcement? If you do, I would note the time that your wedding will start so that people can plan. But for the record though, I absolutely think that you can get away having a formal wedding at 4 pm. Earlier than 4 might be pushing it but a 4 pm semi-formal wedding is very common!

• Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much! This is beyond helpful! I really appreciate your feedback.
  • Alisha
    Super April 2021
    Alisha ·
    • Flag

I am having a Sunday wedding and it starts at 3:30 pm and ends at 9 pm. I thought it was a good time to start my wedding. I don't think it is a problem for you to start your wedding at 2 pm.

• Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m sorry you had to postpone your wedding too. Thanks for your helpful feedback.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We served hors d’ouevres at cocktail hour at 12:30, and then served a late lunch at 2:30

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics