FutureMrsC18
Dedicated March 2018

Ring Dilemma- Feeling Conflicted

FutureMrsC18, on June 28, 2017 at 8:50 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 41
Saved Save

So let me start by saying FH did an amazing job picking out my ring and I love it and can't stop staring at it even after months have passed.

Here's the dilemma- When FH asked me what I wanted in an e-ring it for some reason never crossed my mind that I would need to put it with a band. Because my ring is not actually an engagement ring, it didn't come in a set. We have not picked bands yet, but the way the ring is made I would need a contour band. A contour band is not what I had in mind and the type of band I'm in love with will not fit with my e-ring now. What do I do? FH told me in the beginning he wanted me to have what I want in my set since I will have it for years to come so that is not the issue. Have you ever been in this situation? How decide what to do?

PS- Sorry if this is somewhat confusing, will clarify if need be and pics in comments.

41 Comments

• FutureMrsC18
    Dedicated March 2018
    FutureMrsC18 ·
    • Flag

My current ring and the one in above picture

ETA: Sorry for crappy photo quality and I would like to restate I love my existing e ring I just want it to work with the band I like which isn't going to happen

• FutureMrsC18
    Dedicated March 2018
    FutureMrsC18 ·
    • Flag

The type of band/ set that I love.

Sorry on mobile

• StPaulGal
    Master July 2017
    StPaulGal ·
    • Flag

If you don't like the contour thing--I don't either--just get a straight band. There is no law that says they have to sit tight against each other.

• FutureMrsC18
    Dedicated March 2018
    FutureMrsC18 ·
    • Flag

@Olivia @StPaulGal I just don't know how I feel about the gap, I also have short fingers and don't know if that would shorten them more

• jennifer
    Expert June 2018
    jennifer ·
    • Flag

If that's the set you love and you want a tighter fit but that design you could look at custom. I fell in love with a band design but I wanted the diamonds to go all the way around so they are going to make a custom ring for me. It's apart of a buy one get one so my fiancées ring will be free.

• StPaulGal
    Master July 2017
    StPaulGal ·
    • Flag

So then get a curved band? There's nothing wrong with either choice. It's all personal style.

• LittleDemon
    Master November 2017
    LittleDemon ·
    • Flag

Have you actually tried on bands with your ring? Maybe you won't mind the gap

• FutureMrsC18
    Dedicated March 2018
    FutureMrsC18 ·
    • Flag

@jennifer I never thought of custom!

@St Paul Gal I also never thought of a curved band. I guess in my head I thought that if it's going to be curved it would automatically be contoured. I'm so glad you mentioned that.

• FutureMrsC18
    Dedicated March 2018
    FutureMrsC18 ·
    • Flag

@little demon Not as of yet but I plan on it soon

• FutureMrsC18
    Dedicated March 2018
    FutureMrsC18 ·
    • Flag

@FB99 I haven't looked yet and that is a great possibility as I over think a lot. It's one of the things I hate about myself. Lol

• Leah
    Devoted November 2017
    Leah ·
    • Flag

My ring is slightly similar it juts out so you can't have a straight band. I was actually surprised when we went band shopping with what I picked out. I'd either embrace the gap, get a straight band if you want to just wear the wedding ring, or just go to a jewelry store and see what they have. It doesn't hurt to look!

• CoffeeNColor
    Master August 2017
    CoffeeNColor ·
    • Flag

Yes it's an engagement ring. It's the ring your FH gave you when you got engaged.

Wedding sets are a marketing ploy for stores to upsell you. Rings don't have to come with coordinated wedding bands.

Also, FWIW, you can always do a plain gold band.

And also, here is a picture of Kate Middleton's rings. #embracethegap

• FutureMrsC18
    Dedicated March 2018
    FutureMrsC18 ·
    • Flag

@CoffeNColor I had never seen a pic of her bands before but that doesn't look all that bad. I think I'm going to run by Zales tomorrow after work just to browse over and see what I like

• MandMHoagland
    Expert October 2017
    MandMHoagland ·
    • Flag

I never thought they needed to match. Heres my e-ring with band. I wanted a non curved band so I could wear the band by itself and it wouldn't look out of place.

• Brittany
    Expert July 2017
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

I have a halo setting like yours and I don't have a contoured band. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to bands like showed above. It should still work

• Amandaw
    VIP April 2018
    Amandaw ·
    • Flag

I say try on some and see what the jeweler reccomends.

• JerseyGirl
    Master May 2017
    JerseyGirl ·
    • Flag

Definitely try bands on with your ring. When we went to the jeweler to shop for bands I thought I knew what I wanted. Tried it on with my ering and hated the way it looked. So I ended up going a completely different direction.

You could also wear your ering on your right hand after the wedding leaving you open to any kind of band.

• Mrs. Librarian
    VIP November 2016
    Mrs. Librarian ·
    • Flag

I was dead set against a contour band, until I tried one that I loved with my ring. Try things on, you never know what you might like. Your engagement ring is beautiful!

• Opalite
    Expert October 2017
    Opalite ·
    • Flag

If you still don't like what you see after trying on a bunch of different types of bands, check out Twobirch for affordable custom rings. My e-ring is a similar setting to yours (sits flush on the finger so no other rings can go near/underneath it). I had a custom guard made that fits around the halo of my e-ring and it was only $400, the customization didn't cost extra. They will send you a putty to put your ring into, and then they actually customize the shape of the ring to fit around or with your existing ring.

• Nessa
    VIP December 2017
    Nessa ·
    • Flag

Go try on different bands! Trust me! Just go and be open minded

I didn't realize it until much later but the same thing kinda happened to me. I gave FH all these details about the type of engagement ring I wanted and he picked out the perfect ring. I couldn't have made a better pick myself BUT I never thought about the band. I guess I just assumed that all bands would sit flush to the ring. Then, after seeing another friend's set I realized that would not happen with my ring. Either way, I didn't give it much thought until we went shopping for the band and honestly it didn't even matter. I found a band that I love and doesn't sit flush. Still wouldn't change it!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics