Jackie
Savvy April 2021

Puerto Rico Destination Wedding

Jackie, on March 13, 2019 at 7:46 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 12
Saved Save

Hi All!!

Torn between multiple venues in San Juan, PR for ceremony/reception. Budget wise the Doubletree San Juan and San Juan Marriot Stellaris Casion are great! Vision wise, El San Juan Hotel, Condado Vanderbilt, Courtyard by Marriot Isla Verde Beach Resort all look ideal! Has anyone been married/will be married at these resorts? I fly to PR in May to look at the venues but would love some insight.

Thanks!

12 Comments

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·

I don't have any experience with these resorts, but I would suggest staying within budget. You'll get a better idea once you visit the venues though. You might be surprised and find the budget friendly options have great scenery too. Good luck in your search!

• Jackie
    Savvy April 2021
    Jackie ·
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you!

• Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·

Hi Jackie! Wow, getting married in Puerto Rico sounds like an absolute dream! I'm sure no matter where you decide, your wedding will be beautiful!

I don't have any experience with these venues but I certainly agree with Danielle, you should try to stick within your budget. It may be tempting to spend more than your budget but at the ends of the day, you can only pay for what you can afford.

I found an article about Puerto Rico Destination Weddings that you may want to have a look at.

As I mentioned, staying within your budget is something to stay conscious of when booking a venue, so I have also included an article on How to Plan a Destination Wedding on a Budget that may give you some tips.

Enjoy your trip to Puerto Rico!! Is it just you and your SO going?

• Jackie
    Savvy April 2021
    Jackie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi Sinead, thank you so much for the info! Yes, just me and my SO going this time around. I want the venue some place we both agree on without everyone else’s input 😊
  • Destinikay
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    Destinikay ·

We are currently in the early stages of finding venues and ideas for having a wedding/honeymoon in Puerto Rico. I have a big family and will invite them but they will have to have their own hotel accommodations. My bridal party and parents will stay in a home with us, if I can find one big enough. Our overall budget is no more than $10K on the top end and $8000K on the low end. I have a few options so far.

1. Abnb: find a really nice abnb that will have 10 of us on land and close to a beach. We will have a small ceremony in the backyard (or private beach if avail), have dinner, champagne and drinks with music afterwards. Go out to a club later to continue celebrating. My MIL is a caterer and chef so that will be her gift to us. We would have a farewell brunch the next day. I have found some abnb for around $1200-1500.

2. I found this venue mansion that is BEAUTIFUL with amazing views, terraces, full staff, etc and it sleeps 16 people. It is around $7500-- im waiting to see exactly how it works. If there are no additional add-on's then we would go with this as it is a 1-stop shop and the property is really stunning. We would have the ceremony on the terrace overlooking the water and just party and eat afterwards.

3. El Conquistador quoted me a ceremony price for 40 chairs, beautiful venue and 2 hours for $1300 and $1500 packages. Its beautiful as well and with everyone going back to the home for food and drinks, We could come out to about $3000 for ceremony and house.

We are trying to figure it out and see what would be the best bang for our buck. Since catering isnt an issue our top priorities are venue and photography since we will be away from home (and vendors we already know). Keep me updated with your searches and I will do the same!

• Destinikay
    Destinikay ·

Update: the place I found had a lot of hidden fees after speaking with the owner so it will be way over budget and we cant afford that. And it was 2hrs from San Juan. I will be looking at smaller places in SJ. And we have brought our budget back down to $5-6K

• Jackie
    Savvy April 2021
    Jackie ·
    View Quoted Comment

WOW! I hope it all works out for you! I was actually looking at Conquistador but because they are still working on renovations from the storm they don't have 2021 prices as of yet. I really liked that resort though. Hopefully with food and approx. 80 chairs it would be around our max budget of $12K.

Keep me updated on your search. I loved the whole renting a house idea. Hope it all comes together for you!

• Destinikay
    Destinikay ·

I started messaging some of the homes we looked at and a lot of them were fine with having something small at their property. One house I "favorited" sits on 4 acres with wrap around porches/terraces. Look there for having a reception, if your group isnt super big. Still looking and sending emails though.

• Kira
    Savvy July 2020
    Kira ·
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Destini... Thank you for all the info.. I am also looking to get married in Puerto Rico and I believe I stumbled on the same mansion... Please keep me posted on your MUA.. I am torn between finding someone in PR or flying someone out that does well on brown/dark skin girls.

• Sunshine92
    Savvy June 2020
    Sunshine92 ·
    Following! I’ve had these same budget concerns with venues. At the end of the day my FH and I would like to do a small ceremony on the beach and then go to a nice restaurant for dinner.
  • Destinikay
    Destinikay ·

I would look around on the island first and then compare .. ask for portfolios and pictures of past clients through their social media accounts, etc. I would bring my own foundation and im sure the rest wouldnt be a problem. If you can afford to fly someone out, maybe look for someone that does both hair and make-up so its like 2 in 1 vs having 2 people doing 2 different things and flying 2 people out additionally.

• Carolyn
    Beginner August 2019
    Carolyn ·

Follow @getmarriedinpr on instagram or prdestinationweddings.com. They seem to specialize in small, intimate wedding/ceremonies. Also, Food Paradise is my caterer. His food is AMAZING, and in my opinion, reasonably priced. If your budget is $6k-$12k I suggest finding a venue like a house or the beach that is very low cost. You could also get married at Castle San Cristobal for a small rental fee; it's absolutely stunning if you look up photos of small wedding ceremonies that have occurred there. Then you could find another venue for the reception. So many options that I looked into while planning my wedding there, ha!. Good luck ladies, whatever you choose to do it will be perfect!

Comment on this discussion