We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Lirana
VIP October 2013

Practice wedding cake #1

Lirana, on March 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 37
Saved Save

Hi Everyone. This is my first post here, so a quick intro: I got engaged less than 3 weeks ago, and we're getting married October 4. We have a small budget, so we're trying to use the money for the things we really want (like a great photographer). We're planning a LOT of DIY projects for the stuff that we feel we can do just as well as professionals for less cost. On the list: wedding cake, wedding flowers, veil, and decorations.

Since I've never made a wedding cake before, I'm doing several test runs. This is practice cake #1. It's strawberry cake (with red food coloring cause I want a red cake that is not red velvet) with banana filling, homemade marshmallow fondant, and a gumpaste orchid. This was my first time working with gumpaste and fondant, and I'm very happy with the results.

We'll be having the cake tomorrow. I wanted to let it sit for a day since I won't be making the cake the day of the wedding.

Anyone else crazy enough to make their own cake?

37 Comments

• Fireworks WIFE
    VIP July 2013
    Fireworks WIFE ·
    • Flag

Looks gorgeous! My sister made her own and was very glad she did

• Tee76
    Super July 2013
    Tee76 ·
    • Flag

That looks delicious and very pretty. Congrats on ur engagement and upcoming wedding and welcome to WW

• KissyBoop
    Expert May 2014
    KissyBoop ·
    • Flag

That turned out really great for your first fondant cake Smiley smile I make cakes for family members and friends on the side, and when I was making my marshmallow fondant for the first time... It took me like 4 attempts to get it to turn out! I was getting sooo frustrated!!

How long did it take you to make the gum paste flower? Just curious, I have yet to work with gum paste

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

NotFroofy made our cake. She decided to use cascading cake stands, rather than a stacked cake, to minimize the possibility of disaster. It was delicious!

• Alex
    Expert September 2013
    Alex ·
    • Flag

That looks great! Keep us updated with pics please. Congrats on your engagement!

• Lirana
    VIP October 2013
    Lirana ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone!

Stephanie, the actual making of the flower didn't take very long (I've sculpted before, just not with food). It's the drying that takes a long time. I think I didn't let some parts of it dry enough though, because the floral wire wasn't secure. I ended up sticking this one in and putting some buttercream to support it. Also, I'm not sure if the fondant actually did turn out right. But since it was a practice cake, I got to the point where I was like "good enough!"

I bought the Wilton gumpaste flower kit (not student kit 4) because it had the flower cutters that I wanted. I used this video to learn how to make the orchids.

My goal is to do something similar to combining this cake (minus the scrollwork, but my fiancé and I really love the draping) and this cake (minus the tree branches).

• Linda E: Fairy Godmother
    Master September 2012
    Linda E: Fairy Godmother ·
    • Flag

Beautiful job! Orchids can be really difficult to make but yours came out great. Now you've got me craving wedding cake LOL!

• Terri
    VIP August 2013
    Terri ·
    • Flag

Jennifer...Very nice?? that looks great for your first trial run...and the white cake with the drape...LOVE IT!! Wish I was that talented. But no way in the world I'd have time or patience the day before our wedding to do our own cake.

I hope you share pictures of the other practice cakes you do.

2dBride...that was smart thinking to do the cascading stands to avoid disaster...Smiley winking

• Emily
    Dedicated August 2013
    Emily ·
    • Flag

If I could make a cake like that I'd make my own in a heartbeat! amazing work! I didn't realize that wasn't a natural flower until I read further!

P.S. Terri M. it looks like you're my date twin

• Meredith
    Expert October 2011
    Meredith ·
    • Flag

Beautiful!

• Charlotte
    VIP July 2013
    Charlotte ·
    • Flag

Welcome and congratulations. Gave you ever thought of doing this as a business? That is very pretty, I will DIY my wedding too, but I kinda splurged on the cake, but if I could bake, I sure will make my own.

• Angie
    Super October 2015
    Angie ·
    • Flag

Thats an amazing job, especially for your first time! Gorgeous!

• Lady Firefly
    Master October 2014
    Lady Firefly ·
    • Flag

Wow! That's awesome!! I thought that the flower was real too, your very talented!

• Meranda
    Devoted April 2014
    Meranda ·
    • Flag

Wow, that looks amazing! Great job!

• Melodie
    VIP May 2013
    Melodie ·
    • Flag

Wow! Impressive! That is awesome. Your cake will be amazing.

• Tanika M. ©EO
    VIP March 2013
    Tanika M. ©EO ·
    • Flag

For your first practice that is very amazing!!!

• Erin
    VIP September 2013
    Erin ·
    • Flag

Wow amazing!!! Let us know how it tastes.

Welcome to WW by the way. :-)

• Megan
    Expert July 2013
    Megan ·
    • Flag

Unbelievable! So pretty. Are you an artist?

Congrats on your engagement. Keep the trial pics coming! Smiley smile

• HRH Mags
    Master March 2014
    HRH Mags ·
    • Flag

Welcome to WW and that cake looks amazing!

• M2H
    Master September 2013
    M2H ·
    • Flag

Amazing. That is unbelievable for it being yoru first run and first time using gumpaste. It looks very professional and elegant.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles