We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Lirana
VIP October 2013

Practice wedding cake #1

Lirana, on March 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Posted in Do It Yourself 37

Hi Everyone. This is my first post here, so a quick intro: I got engaged less than 3 weeks ago, and we're getting married October 4. We have a small budget, so we're trying to use the money for the things we really want (like a great photographer). We're planning a LOT of DIY projects for the stuff...

Hi Everyone. This is my first post here, so a quick intro: I got engaged less than 3 weeks ago, and we're getting married October 4. We have a small budget, so we're trying to use the money for the things we really want (like a great photographer). We're planning a LOT of DIY projects for the stuff that we feel we can do just as well as professionals for less cost. On the list: wedding cake, wedding flowers, veil, and decorations.

Since I've never made a wedding cake before, I'm doing several test runs. This is practice cake #1. It's strawberry cake (with red food coloring cause I want a red cake that is not red velvet) with banana filling, homemade marshmallow fondant, and a gumpaste orchid. This was my first time working with gumpaste and fondant, and I'm very happy with the results.

We'll be having the cake tomorrow. I wanted to let it sit for a day since I won't be making the cake the day of the wedding.

Anyone else crazy enough to make their own cake?

37 Comments

• Robin A.
    Master July 2012
    Robin A. ·
    • Flag

Now I sort of wish you'd made my wedding cake.... Although we had strawberry pie that was awesome.

Home-made fondant! Now that's a commitment!

• Michelle P
    Super September 2013
    Michelle P ·
    • Flag

Good job on the DIY cake! My fiance wanted me to do ours too since I dabbled in cake making and I was like, oh hell no! I have tried several times to cover a cake with marshmallow fondant and each time it frustrated me to the point of wanting to mash the cake in. I am a perfectionist with that type of stuff and I never satisfied myself with it. I think for your first time, to get it to look so nice, that is amazing. I think if you can make a flower you love ahead of time (like weeks ahead of time) and have the fondant made a little bit in advance, then it is doable and you rock! Congrats on a great job and don't get discouraged if practice cake #2 isn't as awesome, because cakes will be cakes and somehow screw themselves up sometimes!

• TheNewMrs.Howard
    VIP March 2013
    TheNewMrs.Howard ·
    • Flag

Looks Great. I couldn't dare try to do that!

• Tanika M. ©EO
    VIP March 2013
    Tanika M. ©EO ·
    • Flag

If I tried to make a cake it would definitely come out like this lol You did great!

• Jamie
    Devoted February 2009
    Jamie ·
    • Flag

That sounds freaking delicious, and it looks phenomenal! I'm not a baker, but my sister, aunt, and dad who do bake made my cake. They were totally stressed! Lol If you have your heart set on making your cake, make sure it's the ONLY thing you have to do! You're gonna be stressed as it is with last minute details, so puling an all nighter the night before your wedding is sure to be overload. Lol

• Williams10-11-12
    VIP October 2014
    Williams10-11-12 ·
    • Flag

Congratulations ! I am doing a diy wedding (renewal ) but i am splurging on cup cakes but i also got a really good deal on a photography

• Mrs H in the Making
    Expert September 2013
    Mrs H in the Making ·
    • Flag

That cake looks amazing! I wish I were half the baker.....heck I can't even cook!! Lol.

• Mrs. DooPwee
    VIP May 2013
    Mrs. DooPwee ·
    • Flag

That actually looks really nice! I could't have pulled that off.

• Lirana
    VIP October 2013
    Lirana ·
    • Flag

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome and compliments!

We had the cake today (with friends over), and I got a lot of "this would be the best wedding cake ever!" comments. Smiley smile Everyone raved over the fondant because it didn't taste like garbage (it really does taste like marshmallow).

My personal opinions are that the cake itself was very good, but the banana filling was only okay. I could easily replace it with something else. I might try a white chocolate ganache next time. Also, I think the fondant was just a little too thick, but everyone else seemed to really like the fondant and said they didn't mind having it so thick. It was just a little tough to get a fork through.

Tanika, that cake picture is hilarious, though I hope nothing like that happens to mine!

Michelle P, I definitely plan on making the flower in advance. I'm thinking I might only need 30ish flowers which I can finish months in advance if I am not lazy about it. Smiley tongue

• Michelle
    Master August 2013
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

You did an amazing job! The flower is especially great!

I'm making a single tier cake and cupcakes for our wedding. I have done cupcakes for a couple large events now (dads 200 person bday bash and FSILs wedding) and they came out pretty good if I do say so lol. I am impressed with your fondant for it being your first time. It can be very frustrating ( I also find it hard to get it thin enough while not making it too fragile.)

• Mrs. Kommeren
    Master December 2013
    Mrs. Kommeren ·
    • Flag

Wow you must be a professional, it looks amazing. Great job. Wish we all could taste it for you!

• Future Mrs H
    Super August 2013
    Future Mrs H ·
    • Flag

You did an amazing job on the cake, I could never get anything to look that good..maybe on my 13th test run but never on the first try Smiley laugh

Lokks delicious

• Beth
    VIP September 2013
    Beth ·
    • Flag

I wanted to make my own cupcakes but I know it would be crazy since I can't do it in advancce and I won't be in my own house since we are getting married a few hours away. Yours looks great though. I make yummy food but it's not always so pretty sometimes. lol.

• Tiffany
    VIP July 2013
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag

It looks beautiful and very professional.

• J
    Beginner March 2014
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

Wow, that is beautiful! I would love to make my own wedding cake because that way I can have it just the way I want it in design and flavor, but honestly don't know if I will have the time to do it...kudos for you if you will, I know it takes effort and time!

• Married2013
    Master September 2013
    Married2013 ·
    • Flag

I’m jealous, wish I was that creative, looks good!

• Kelsy
    Dedicated October 2019
    Kelsy ·
    • Flag
    The cake looks pretty, you did a really good job. What were your struggles if any? We’re getting married on October 4th and we’re doing the same thing. DIY-ing everything!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇